Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Where's YOUR Mini?

Where's YOUR Mini?
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2005, 10:48 AM

I don't have a Mac Mini. I'm probably not going to get one for some time. But I got to thinking: it could make for an excellent hobbyist machine, albeit not in the traditional sense. It's not cheap enough to be mass-marketed as an "embedded device", but there are already people takling about putting a Mini into cars, using it as a set-top box, making small clusters, and so forth.

What if Apple were to capitalize on this, and set up an ad campaign around it? You could do something Switch-style, showcasing people who've done Neat Stuff with their Minis. Kitchen machnines, car machines, and whatever: the central theme is, "Where's Your Mini?"

I don't know. Maybe I'm just blowing smoke, but I think it would make for a neat campaign.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 11:55 AM

My pants.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
My pants.
Yeah, I heard that about you.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2005, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
I don't know. Maybe I'm just blowing smoke, but I think it would make for a neat campaign.
I don't know. Maybe I'm just inhaling smoke, but I think you're right.

:: toke ::
ice

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2005, 12:50 PM

What if Apple were to capitalize on this, and set up an ad campaign around it? You could do something Switch-style, showcasing people who've done Neat Stuff with their Minis. Kitchen machnines, car machines, and whatever: the central theme is, "Where's Your Mini?"
Sweet idea, but I'm guessing that it won't attract the intended market - putting computers in weird places is a particularly geeky thing to do, so I don't see the "average home user" falling for that.

Just show them running Word, Excel, iPhoto, iMovie, Mail and Safari - that'll do the job, as most possible swtichers will be asking "but can it do ****?".

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2005, 07:02 PM

..."Where's Your Mini?"...
This message was typed on one.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2005, 05:46 PM

Well my iPod mini is on my desk playing through my stereo. That said my Mac mini will sit in my mom's office and be her new computer... She's almost accepted the reality, I figure by the time Tiger ships with the mini I'll have her convinced.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2005, 05:52 PM

I think we all know they are going to start showing up in cars...

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2005, 08:53 PM

You know... I think when I'm older I could almost see myself buying like a mini a year haha... there's so many uses you could have for em... though I don't know if I'd want to use one as a movie server right now since ******** went dark there's few places to find good video content.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2005, 09:19 PM

The asterisks went dark? Crap. What am I going to do for the sign on my new nightclub, Club Regex?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2005, 11:13 PM

No mini yet. But I was thinking....

I wanna get a 12" PB, 20" display. isight, + more.

I was thinking of the G5 for a desktop, but what if I want to transport like I do my PB? Maybe the mini would be better? My mini could travel with me... and I can connect to dif monitors at dif stops.

Is this just dumb?

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 11:21 PM

If you want to travel with it, I'd still recommend a laptop. If you very rarely want to take it somewhere, that you know there is a willing display, usb keyboard and mouse, get the mini.

Forum Links
Forum Rules