Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > RIP Steve Jobs

RIP Steve Jobs (Page 4)
calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2011, 02:24 AM

F*ck off.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2011, 02:36 AM

F*ck off x2
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2011, 02:42 AM

Ouch, I didn't think I was that offensive.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2011, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Didnt he ask to be banned because he couldn't stay away from the boards, the same as what Kevin asked too.
Infamously, no.

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 10, 2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
We are to presume you've never used an iPhone.
Meh. It's pretty mediocre compared to Apple in the 80s.

Now Sony/Apple/Samsung/Nokia etc are all interchangeable.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2011, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Twilly Spree View Post
Meh. It's pretty mediocre compared to Apple in the 80s.

Now Sony/Apple/Samsung/Nokia etc are all interchangeable.
Ah. You HAVEN'T ever used an iPhone.

That's okay. You're no less of a…man…for admitting you're clueless.

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 10, 2011, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Thanks for the dumb opinion. There was nothing mediocre about Jobs' return; John Sculley drove the company into the ground.
When Steve Jobs was fired we didn't even have the Macintosh Plus. Nor did we have DTP. Or arrow keys that made any sense on the keyboard. We didn't have ADB or multimedia. There was no expandability of any Mac.

Thanks to John Sculley, we got all that and more. Good riddance of Steve Jobs in the 80s. Best thing that ever happened to Apple.

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 10, 2011, 05:20 AM

Ah. You HAVEN'T ever used an iPhone.

That's okay. You're no less of a…man…for admitting you're clueless.
No, I have used an iPhone. It was completely interchangeable with the rest that's being offered.

I wasn't impressed, but I can see why people would like a smartphone. Just no reason why it should be an iPhone.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2011, 05:34 AM

No, I have used an iPhone. It was completely interchangeable with the rest that's being offered.

I wasn't impressed, but I can see why people would like a smartphone. Just no reason why it should be an iPhone.
Right ho.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2011, 06:01 AM

iPhone was completely interchangeable with the rest that's being offered.
Even if that were true, it would only be because everyone else has been copying the iPhone since its launch. Without iPhone everyone would still be using buttons instead of just RIM.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2011, 07:00 AM

That's completely ridiculous. Nice trolling.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

OreoCookie
Oct 10, 2011, 08:12 AM

Please leave the bickering for another thread.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2011, 08:26 AM

Didnt he ask to be banned because he couldn't stay away from the boards, the same as what Kevin asked too.
This matches nicely with your PL acumen.

Monique
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2011, 01:41 PM

A great man died and left an incredible legacy behind him. Thank you Steve.

When I learned that he had pancreatic cancer I knew it was going to be final. So, I wrote to him and said you know you should pass all the time with your family.

calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2011, 03:36 PM

Looks like he took your advice.

calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2011, 03:38 PM

His reply would have been

"Great, thanks.

Steve"

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2011, 04:21 PM

I liked it when "Sent from my iPad" was longer than his actual message.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2011, 06:04 PM

When Steve Jobs was fired we didn't even have the Macintosh Plus. Nor did we have DTP. Or arrow keys that made any sense on the keyboard. We didn't have ADB or multimedia. There was no expandability of any Mac.

Thanks to John Sculley, we got all that and more. Good riddance of Steve Jobs in the 80s. Best thing that ever happened to Apple.
This is also true. Jobs' legacy, truth be told, is a complex one: he did many good things for the industry, but he also did some very, very bad things. I hope that, with time, the good will prove to be what lasts.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2011, 07:01 PM

What very, very bad things are you referring to, Millennium? I really can't think of any that would fall into that category. He ripped off Woz early on with the Breakout prototype, and he was mean to people at times, but I can't think of anything really bad he did in the tech realm.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

freudling
Banned
Oct 10, 2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
What very, very bad things are you referring to, Millennium? I really can't think of any that would fall into that category. He ripped off Woz early on with the Breakout prototype, and he was mean to people at times, but I can't think of anything really bad he did in the tech realm.
As much as I love Steve jobs, and I really do, and he was great in his pursuit of excellence, he was also a son of a bitch. I've read every book on him and spoken with some people who have worked with him directly.

For instance, when he got back to Apple, he was cutting departments and product lines down. Ok, that's fine. Apple at the time had a lifetime warranty club so to speak. He told the person responsible to kill it. When that person replied that, in a nutshell, they were legally bound to honour it, and it wasn't really fair to the customers, he said "**** em."

His famous temper, yelling and belittling people. Acting like an arrogant ******** (e.g., the virgin interview back in the 80s).

Then reading Gawker... yes, I know, I know. Everybody here hates these guys, and I can't say I like them too much. But this is some inside information on it. Like it or not, even though Foxconn is used by many other companies, Apple is complicit in the child labour and terrible conditions. All they have to do is get together and work to make it better there, with their billions and billions in cash profits off of these slaves. I know Apple sent people there but it could of done more. I don't know if I could morally continue like Apple/Steve did/does.

Two sources that cover this aspect of him, at least partially:

Jobs has banned from being installed on his devices gay art, gay travel guides, political cartoons, sexy pictures, Congressional candidate pamphlets, political caricature, Vogue fashion spreads, systems invented by the opposition, and other things considered morally suspect.

And just last month, in the creepiest example of Apple's fascist tendencies, two of Apple's private security agents searched the home of a San Francisco man and threatened him and his family with immigration trouble as part of an scramble for a missing iPhone prototype.

Apple's factories in China have regularly employed young teenagers and people below the legal work age of 16, made people work grueling hours, and have tried to cover all this up. That's according to Apple's own 2010 report about its factories in China. In 2011, Apple reported that its child labor problem had worsened.

What Everyone Is Too Polite to Say About Steve Jobs

He snapped at me… he almost hit me.

Tech Beats � Tech Beats: Show 1 – Sept. 2, 2011

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2011, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
As much as I love Steve jobs, and I really do, and he was great in his pursuit of excellence, he was also a son of a bitch. I've read every book on him and spoken with some people who have worked with him directly.

For instance, when he got back to Apple, he was cutting departments and product lines down. Ok, that's fine. Apple at the time had a lifetime warranty club so to speak. He told the person responsible to kill it. When that person replied that, in a nutshell, they were legally bound to honour it, and it wasn't really fair to the customers, he said "**** em."
Actually all he did was hire Tim Cook, he cut the product lines, and fixed the inventory issues.

His famous temper, yelling and belittling people. Acting like an arrogant ******** (e.g., the virgin interview back in the 80s).
Ive seen worse at work just not often. I don't think thats out of the norm in many companies, not that I agree with it (the yelling and temper part) the virgin thing was def special to Steve.

Then reading Gawker... yes, I know, I know. Everybody here hates these guys, and I can't say I like them too much. But this is some inside information on it. Like it or not, even though Foxconn is used by many other companies, Apple is complicit in the child labour and terrible conditions. All they have to do is get together and work to make it better there, with their billions and billions in cash profits off of these slaves. I know Apple sent people there but it could of done more. I don't know if I could morally continue like Apple/Steve did/does.
Please.... if anything Apple has improved working conditions at Foxconn 10 fold by pressuring change. That is a hell of a lot more then Sony, HP and the rest that don't life a finger at all.

Jobs has banned from being installed on his devices gay art, gay travel guides, political cartoons, sexy pictures, Congressional candidate pamphlets, political caricature, Vogue fashion spreads, systems invented by the opposition, and other things considered morally suspect.
As a Bi guy I can tell you there is a lot of gay stuff on the App store. Don't confuse individual cases which probably had some good reason with whinny developers who told the public one thing and not the entire story for support. There is always more to it then just what a developer says for reasons why something is banned.

Apple's factories in China have regularly employed young teenagers and people below the legal work age of 16, made people work grueling hours, and have tried to cover all this up. That's according to Apple's own 2010 report about its factories in China. In 2011, Apple reported that its child labor problem had worsened.
Apple has no factories, they contract out everything to Venders.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2011, 05:03 AM

I would add that Apple doesn't tend to tell developers why they ban apps a lot of the time.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2011, 08:25 AM

Nice way to turn a thread about Jobs' passing into a pissing match.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Nice way to turn a thread about Jobs' passing into a pissing match.
It's not about turning it into a pissing match: it's painting a realistic picture of the man's legacy. Not all bad, not even bad on balance, but not wholly good either. RMS goes too far in his assessment, but so do the people inserting Jobs' name into hymns.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2011, 09:05 AM

A question for the Canadians...

Are obits there more of the "full measure" European type things, or like the purely memorial, US style?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2011, 09:59 AM

i dont understand the question?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2011, 10:02 AM

US obits generally don't say anything bad. European ones do.

Where does Canada fit?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2011, 12:47 PM

Stallman has been a twit for a long time, and he just felt the need to remind everyone.

MrsLarry
Senior User
Oct 11, 2011, 01:29 PM

Oh I really like this one a lot.

OOH! This one actually just gave me chills.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2011, 08:25 AM

hayesk
Oct 13, 2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Good. Some customers are idiots. They give you a couple hundred bucks and think they own you for life. They should be ****ed. People were buying up Mac Pluses as garage sales and expecting Apple to give them free support for life? That's ridiculous.

From what I could glean from all the stories is that you bring your A game to him and nothing less. And even if you do and he doesn't get it and calls you an idiot and yells at you, be prepared to stand your ground and make him get it and he'll respect you for it. But if you can't make him get it, then you're in trouble.

Does that make him an arrogant pr*ck? Well, it sure would seem that way to those that couldn't bring their A game or make him understand what you are trying to say.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2011, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
Good. Some customers are idiots.
I almost miss those times when they'd say "So Im buying an iMac and an iPod, what discount do I get?" and I'd have to make an effort not to laugh in their faces.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2011, 12:27 PM

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 23, 2011, 07:42 AM

Right ho.

Incapable of reasoned reply? Check.
Overly confident of your own opinion? Check.
Too much time one your hands? Check.

You seem to be some kind of an Apple-obesessed man-child. Fact is I've owned an iPhone, found it to be be ok - nothing to write home about. Android phones are just as good and in some cases.... get ready for this.... better.

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Even if that were true, it would only be because everyone else has been copying the iPhone since its launch. Without iPhone everyone would still be using buttons instead of just RIM.
I don't know of any particular copying of the iPhone - at least no more than is par for the business. Say, where did Apple come up with that neat notifications drawer in iOS 5?

Oh right, it was copied from somewhere else.

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
That's completely ridiculous. Nice trolling.
No, it's a fact. I actually find those mobile platforms just about equally limited and unimpressive. They're not groundbreaking, they're just "ok". I find an Android phone just as useful as an iOS phone - and that was before Android 4.0 which I have yet to try.

Someone doesn't share your opinion on the internet. Get over it.

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 23, 2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
This is also true. Jobs' legacy, truth be told, is a complex one: he did many good things for the industry, but he also did some very, very bad things. I hope that, with time, the good will prove to be what lasts.
Very true. He did good things, and some incredibly bad things.

In 1985, the year Steve was ditched from the Mac team and the year before the Mac Plus, the RAM was soldered to the Macintosh motherboard - specifically to prevent anyone to upgrade the RAM ever. That was Steve's vision for the Macintosh, very much unlike the philosophy of the Apple II, which was extensively upgradable and customizable.

It meant that the Macintosh was probably rightfully called "fisher-price" until Scully took over and removed Jobs from the Macintosh project.

Despite the claims of infallability and genius by many people, Steve Jobs made some pretty immense mistakes regarding technology. One of the most evident was not understanding what the Macintosh needed to be - something a sugared water salesman got. It needed to be a living, expandable, versitile and powerful system. All Steve Jobs saw was the GUI and that's it.

It's all history now. But I say again; Good riddance of Steve Jobs in the 80s. Best thing that ever happened to Apple.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 23, 2011, 10:17 AM

In 1985, RAM sockets were a significant expense, and most computer main boards had RAM soldered down-except those that specifically boasted of being expandable. So soldered RAM was a cost saving measure, and frankly it also kept people from goobering up their machines. And it's my understanding that, unlike with the production of the Apple II series machines, Apple was able to establish a very solid supply of components for the Macintosh, and did not need to build the main boards and then put in chips they needed as they arrived (one of the lesser known down sides of smaller scale electronic equipment manufacturing is that without high volume purchases, you can wind up having to wait a considerably length of time for your parts to show up).

I'd also like to see some sort of documented "Steve specifically said 'solder down the RAM chips'" and "he said to do this to prevent people from being able to upgrade their machines" before I accepted that he had that level of input on the manufacturing aspect of the design, or accept anything about motivations for this particular design decision. While I can easily see someone who built computers from scratch in his parents' garage as being able to say "we'll save a ton of money by not using sockets for the RAM," I can also see him saying "what is the benefit to the typical customer if you spend the extra money to install RAM sockets and then have someone manually populate them?"

Blaming the creative people for not doing what YOU might have done (or more accurately what you wish THEY had done instead) could be called historical relativism. Or sour grapes. As it is, Steve Jobs seems to be well accepted as being responsible for the whole Mac concept, and Scully has a solid reputation as being a corporate-minded guy with plenty of marketing background but not a lot of "creativity." And creativity is what got the Mac platform into the public eye, and what made it compelling.

I really would have liked my car to have come with LED tail lights and HID headlights, but, while those modifications are available and can be installed with enough effort and time, my car wasn't built for them. So I enjoy the car I have, and simply admit that it would be way too difficult to put in all the gizmos I'd like to have in it for the benefit I think I'd get from them. After all, I bought the package I have, right? So it was compelling enough to get me to buy it, even without the extras I'd like to have.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2011, 10:12 PM

andi*pandi
Oct 24, 2011, 11:58 AM

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2011, 12:12 PM

Is this thing actually worth watching?

It seems a little weird to me to have a big rally and concert around a mans death.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
It seems a little weird to me to have a big rally and concert around a mans death.
I think it's great. I hate funerals. Celebrate a person's life, don't morn their death. Have a party. Get pissed. Remember the good times. That's how it should be, in my opinion.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

andi*pandi
Oct 24, 2011, 01:37 PM

Some interesting insights and little reminisces. Norah Jones and ColdPlay. Al Gore.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2011, 02:37 PM

I wonder if the WBC will still show up?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I wonder if the WBC will still show up?
Surely they missed their chance?

Now this is a funeral:

Graham Chapman's funeral - YouTube

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2011, 03:53 PM

Worth watching for Jony iVe (around 49 min. in).

But I love watching Ive speak

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2011, 06:32 PM

In 1985, the year Steve was ditched from the Mac team and the year before the Mac Plus, the RAM was soldered to the Macintosh motherboard - specifically to prevent anyone to upgrade the RAM ever. That was Steve's vision for the Macintosh, very much unlike the philosophy of the Apple II, which was extensively upgradable and customizable.

It meant that the Macintosh was probably rightfully called "fisher-price" until Scully took over and removed Jobs from the Macintosh project.

Despite the claims of infallability and genius by many people, Steve Jobs made some pretty immense mistakes regarding technology. One of the most evident was not understanding what the Macintosh needed to be - something a sugared water salesman got. It needed to be a living, expandable, versitile and powerful system. All Steve Jobs saw was the GUI and that's it.

It's all history now. But I say again; Good riddance of Steve Jobs in the 80s. Best thing that ever happened to Apple.
Most of this is rubbish.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2011, 07:07 PM

All

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2011, 07:26 PM

Lack of space, ram modules in those days where chip by chip sockets which took up a lot of space. The 30 Pin simm was invented in late 1983 well after development of the first Macintosh. The ram standard of the day was 8 to 32kb so the first Macintosh had 4 times the amount of a standard computer so it was assumed who would need more then this early on. Smaller chips allowed for the 512kb Macintosh which was a LOT of ram in its day before the plus finally got the 30 pin simm which was one of the first commercial computers to use them along with the 286 and Atari STE. Was clearly a space choice, could fit MORE ram in a small space by building it into the logic board. Its no different then how the Macbook Air has its ram built into the logic board and a very customized SSD to fit into such a small space. Its why the iPhone ram is not up-gradable either.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2011, 09:38 PM

Walter Isaacson on Charlie Rose

Charlie Rose talks to Steve Job's biographer, Walter Isaacson. I enjoyed watching this segment.

Cheers

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 09:22 PM

calling all old people

in 1985 (?) PBS has a series about great companies ... apple, ibm, 3com were some of them...

what was the show called? and is there a way to find the video?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 10:31 PM

Dunno know about the one your looking for but I can recommend one called The Machine that Changed the World, on youtube all 5 parts full hour long each that is one of the best computer shows I have ever seen from 1992 which also was pretty dead on in predictions. The 3rd video has a lot on Steve Jobs and Apple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules