Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Photos/Legacy Lightroom Issue

Photos/Legacy Lightroom Issue
Ralph Tomaccio
Nov 6, 2015, 03:13 PM

Being retired and not using Lightroom (LR) on a regular basis, I have had no need to upgrade to Lightroom CC and currently still using LR v3.6. I recently upgraded the iMac OS to El Capitan and ever since doing so, I cannot import images from my camera (Canon S100) as in the past, connecting it directly with a USB cord. LR cannot see the camera when connected at all. What does automatically happen is that Apple's Photo software now automatically opens.

Since I prefer LR's raw features, I would like to continue with that, but I have not found any way to stop Photos from opening or LR to connect to my camera. Any suggestions? Or, is it time to scrap LR and resign myself to using Photos? Paying for Lightroom CC for the little I use it is not an option.

My camera also does not appear on the desktop as it had in the past.
( Last edited by Ralph Tomaccio; Nov 6, 2015 at 07:22 PM. )

ibook_steve
Nov 6, 2015, 06:13 PM

Have you tried the Image Capture application in the Applications folder?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Nov 6, 2015, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Have you tried the Image Capture application in the Applications folder?

Steve
No, I haven't. Never needed it before. Why would I want or need to use Image Capture? It's just adding more steps when Lightroom and Photos don't require it.

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Nov 6, 2015, 07:17 PM

I just tried using image capture and set it to export to Lightroom and kept getting error messages that it couldn't.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 7, 2015, 12:50 PM

I'll bet this isn't really about Lightroom, but rather that you computer doesn't do what you want when your camera is connected.

Use Image Capture's preferences to select what you want to happen when you connect your camera. (I'll bet this is what ibook Steve was getting at with his post.) That's also the way to manage what happens when you connect any other photo source (which can include flash media that contains image files) to your computer. Just getting your computer to acknowledge your camera is connected may be all it takes to solve the Lightroom issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Nov 7, 2015, 04:58 PM

I do now understand the role Image Capture plays in all of this. I have been able to stop Photos from automatically opening and Lightroom will recognize my SD card if I take it out of the camera and insert it into the card reader in the iMac. But Lightroom will still not recognize the camera itself.

Others on the Adobe forums experiencing this same problem have come to the conclusion that El Capitan is the problem. It isn't recognizing cameras not only in Lightroom, but for many of their applications.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1934557

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 8, 2015, 06:12 PM

Somehow, it's not surprising that this camera issue has cropped up. Disappointing, but not too surprising. At least you can import your pictures from the card, which should be a decent work-around.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules