Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Contacts Issue

Contacts Issue
Ralph Tomaccio
Mar 12, 2018, 04:56 PM

I recently upgraded the OS to High Sierra 10.13.3 on my mid-2010 iMac and, for the most part, all seems to be working relatively well considering the computer's age. The one real issue I have is that when I open Contacts. The Contacts menu bar appears but the window with the contacts does not. I get the dreaded spinning beach ball and the app has to be force quit.

I have tried running Disk Utility First Aid but that didn't help.

I tried running in Safe Mode and that didn't help either.

I tried not including it in iCloud to no avail.

Not sure what else I can try to get Contacts to appear. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

andi*pandi
Mar 12, 2018, 05:15 PM

do you have two versions of contacts? do a search, or check in apps folder?

reader50
Administrator
Mar 12, 2018, 06:07 PM

Good idea, it could be an old version. Assuming he opens Contacts from the Dock, you can right-click on it -> Options -> Show in Finder. Then check the path (get info works), see if it's an extra copy from an older OS version.

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Mar 12, 2018, 07:06 PM

I did a search and found only one copy of "Contacts". Something interesting I discovered though. My individual vCards showed up as well and, when I double clicked on any of them, the Contacts app opened (as expected) and the main window appears. The odd thing is that there were THREE of each of my six contact groups that appeared in the Contacts window on the left side, yet only one contact vCard of each in the search window. I still get the spinning beach ball which prevented me from doing anything in the app. See below:

( Last edited by Ralph Tomaccio; Mar 13, 2018 at 01:15 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Mar 12, 2018, 10:05 PM

Looks like a corrupted database. Someone posted rebuild instructions here. I haven't tried them, but they look right. And what do you have to lose?

btw, once you have fixed it, I suggest you delete the sample photo above. Or replace it with one where the contact names are blurred.

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Mar 13, 2018, 03:55 PM

I tried the instructions in your link and did take one very tiny step forward, but have a long ways to go. I located the three files; addressbook-v22.abcddb, addressbook-v22.abcddb-wal and addressbook-v22.abcddb-shm and discovered there were SEVEN of each. I deleted all of them and restarted Contacts. The Contacts window did open this time, but all my groups were missing. And, the contacts that showed up on the rebuild had nothing to do with my actual contacts that were in the app originally. They appear to be AOL contacts. I have no idea what happened to those originally in the app. I did a search for "vCard" and they didn't appear, but the contacts that showed in Contacts (AOL?) did show up as vCards. Is there a separate folder or database with the actual contacts that I am missing?

Also, I still get the spinning beach ball if I click on on contact or group name. That prevents me from even entering my contacts manually, or doing anything at all for that matter. It also appears I have just one "Contacts" app.

I also took a look in Time Machine and it's the same there. I could not locate my original contacts. Apparently, this is an issue that occurred when I upgraded (?) to High Sierra.

Contacts in my iPad do appear to be fine. I reconnected my iMac iCloud account to saving my contacts in the cloud, thinking that the contacts from my iPad would get transferred to Contacts in the iMac. That hasn't happened. Is there someway to get my contacts in the iPad back into the iMac?

andi*pandi
Mar 13, 2018, 05:25 PM

it's good that they're on the ipad. I would try a way to save them before resyncing to desktop. Even if only as a txt file you would have to reimport.

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Mar 13, 2018, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
it's good that they're on the ipad. I would try a way to save them before resyncing to desktop. Even if only as a txt file you would have to reimport.
I've been searching, but can't seem to find any way of saving the contacts in the iPad. Any ideas? For some reason, although iCloud is on for both the iPad and IMac, nothing is happening.

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Apr 3, 2018, 05:22 PM

Finally got around to spending more time with this issue and re-installed High Sierra using Option/Command/R on a restart. Tried opening Contacts afterwards and everything appears as normal!

andi*pandi
Apr 3, 2018, 06:02 PM

thats great!

Forum Links
Forum Rules