Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Possible to not un-minimize application window when application selected in Dock?

Possible to not un-minimize application window when application selected in Dock?
timmerk
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2012, 07:29 PM

I tried Googling this question, but couldn't find anything with the terms I was searching for.

Is it possible to not "un-minimize" a window when the application is selected in the Dock? For example, I have a Chrome window minimized to the Dock, and when I click on Chrome in the Dock, I don't want it to open up. Would this a Chrome setting or system-wide setting?

Thanks!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2012, 04:40 AM

Clicking on an app on the Dock will open up a new window unless one is already opened.

If the last window is minimized, it will show that.

The only workaround I know of is to keep at least one unminimized window open at all times, and either use hide (option-click on other apps on the dock to switch and hide, or Cmd-H), or simply not give a **** that there are open windows in the background when you're doing something else.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2012, 08:18 AM

You could use Command-Tab to to switch to Chrome, that shouldn't max the window from the dock.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Dec 3, 2012, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Clicking on an app on the Dock will open up a new window unless one is already opened.
If the last window is minimized, it will show that.
This is what Apple recommends, and most apps do it this way, but it is actually up to the app what it wants to do when clicked.

Command-Tabbing to activate works around this, and so does a simple Applescript รก la:

Code:
tell application "Chrome" activate end tell
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules