Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Glofish banned in Cali..

Glofish banned in Cali..
shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 07:16 PM

I guess ethics do matter in someplaces...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...936EST0154.DTL
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Dec 4, 2003, 08:48 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 7, 2004 at 08:17 PM. )

wang_himself
Senior User
Dec 4, 2003, 09:07 PM

I live in California and I see no problem with genetic engineering. Since god didn't the job we need to. Next I want fish that not only glow but can mow my lawn!
/hi

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 09:12 PM

The stupid commisioner is affraid the zebra danios will get into the wild and upset the native salmon population.....wow i didnt know changing a color gene in a 1 inch tropical 'fresh water' fish could be so detrimental. I mean just think what if these fish started going around eating all the salmon in the ocean or even worse what if they started inter breeding with them and passing that color gene on! Oh my god what have we done!

It reminds me of dogs. Would you ever have found a poodle in nature? or any kind of dog other than wolves / cyotes and such? I guess inbreeding for unnatural traits for generations ISN'T playing with the genetics of life.

I wonder if the dumbass knows that every time he eats something with a corn product in it that its probably genetically engineered.

Speckledstone
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2003, 09:14 PM

You can't buy GloFish, you can't smoke in bars, what else can't you do in California?

wang_himself
Senior User
Dec 4, 2003, 09:15 PM

removing old things...
( Last edited by wang_himself; Dec 19, 2014 at 08:16 PM. )
/hi

pooka
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 09:29 PM

I declaw cats all the time before I stuff them.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2003, 09:30 PM

i can't even put headers on a car (which does nothing to change emissions, but helps improve gas efficiency).

CA sucks.
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2003, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Speckledstone:
You can't buy GloFish, you can't smoke in bars, what else can't you do in California?
It's like the USSR, but more restrictive.

Speckledstone
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2003, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
(Fasten your seatbelts... this thread could come to a screeching halt, or maybe a U-turn, really quick)

Meh, at least you can still by a gun.

wang_himself
Senior User
Dec 4, 2003, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
I have never been to the former USSR, but if that is true WOW! California fook up big time!
/hi

Cipher13
Dec 4, 2003, 09:59 PM

****ing ignorant bullshit. Politicians and lawyers should not be making these decisions.

****ing ****s.

gadster
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
****ing ignorant bullshit. Politicians and lawyers should not be making these decisions.

****ing ****s.
At the risk of a mauling: yeah, I tend to agree, but you know Californians, where would it end? 'Freaky Cats' by Mattell? Real 'Mutant Ninja Turtles'? Explodo-Pups?

Cichlids (if they mean Pseudotropheus zebra) are freaky enough as it is without turning them into toys.
e-gads

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by kertong:
i can't even put headers on a car (which does nothing to change emissions, but helps improve gas efficiency).

CA sucks.
Actually it does change your emissions, it makes them cleaner.
C12H14 (orCnHn+2) + O2 = H20 + CO2 idealy this is the equation for the combustion of gasoline. Headers improve the O2 intake thus making a more complete reaction, thats how it improves gas milage. If not complete it forms more carbon monoxide and other toxins as well as simply letting unburned or partially burned hydrocarbons out the tail pipe.

see how stupid california is.

Oh and that low emissions device/crap/whatever they make you have on your car just makes your car get worse gas milage and worse for the environment. Simply if you get worse gas milage you have to use more gas and thus have more emissions.

god californias stupid.....and since im on the subject of how stupid they are,
they also made Arny governor, who promises to get extracurricular school activities in EVERY school in the nation, every single one! hes going to improve school everywhere as governor of cali. and people believe him....
( Last edited by el chupacabra; Dec 4, 2003 at 11:11 PM. )

wang_himself
Senior User
Dec 5, 2003, 05:42 AM

California also requires MTBE to be in the gasoline which has contaminated thousands of water wells across the state, not mentioning the rivers and streams.
/hi

Veronica
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2003, 05:53 AM

I think this slashdot exhcange should enlighten some of the GM-opponents:

"Thank God, that someone has seen the light and banned this genetic monsters. I think it's wrong to genetically alter any living being since it is not our place to decide what a species should or shouldn't do.

I hope that you are already boycotting other "genetic monsters" created by older methods of genetic engineering (selective breeding of spontaneous mutants that would normally die or fail to reproduce). These include corn, lima beans, bananas and plantains, virtually all identified breeds of dogs and cats, many ornamental fish, milk from dairy cows, most grains, etc., etc."

wang_himself
Senior User
Dec 5, 2003, 05:58 AM

and Hass Avacados. Man those things are tasty
/hi

Forum Links
Forum Rules