Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Most Overrated Rock Bands/Musicians

Most Overrated Rock Bands/Musicians
Speckledstone
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2004, 04:10 AM

I�m sure many people would name the Beatles, the Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin as most overrated. I think that opinion has more to do with their music being overplayed than whether they are overrated, but that's just my opinion.
The one band that I have never really been able to get into has got to be REM. I think I�m a little different from most people in that I can have respect for a band/musician while not necessarily enjoying their music. I respect REM for playing their own instruments (and being skilled musicians), writing original songs that have inspired others and for their lyrics, which are very poetic in many respects. With the exception of Orange Crush, REM�s music just doesn�t do it for me.
I guess it all comes down to personal preference and there is really no way to place the title �Most Overrated� on any band, but I was interested in hearing some opinions from outside my circle of friends. In your opinion, what/who is the most overrated rock band/musician?

Jesus_Christ
Banned
Mar 19, 2004, 04:23 AM

I think we should hear more about the underrated...such as Meat Loaf.

Speckledstone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2004, 04:37 AM

Originally posted by Jesus_Christ:
Be my guest...

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 04:45 AM

Coldplay.

The same song over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over...

(I have seen them live a few times and they were just as bad in the flesh)

Jesus_Christ
Banned
Mar 19, 2004, 04:48 AM

I find most of the music nowadays to be very mainstream. Music producers/companies seem to think they must conform to a certain look/style of music. e.g: rap, r and b, soul. Not everyone chooses to listen to that style. When I look at mtv, or listen to the radio, its like looking at cement. Nothing stands out. Now compare that cement to a lush field of diverse flowers and trees. That would be symbolic of bands who actually write their OWN material, whom are creative, and who dont comform to fit in. That is why I appreciate atrists such as Meat Loaf, whom boasts a style of his own..rock musical..it may not be new, but its not the norm. Which in all respects is a good thing. I think what the world needs is more unique talents....people who sing about more than just "my ho's in the hood" or.."she broke my heart bla bla bla"

So, in conclusion, I stand strong in my position of having unique artists. We need self expression, otherwise...what the hell are we listening to? Useless and emotion-less pop/rock poser music without soul? What we need are true artists/bands like the classics, who put their heart and soul into every second of the song and production.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 19, 2004, 05:16 AM

Linkin Park.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 05:52 AM

radiohead.

-r.

Ω
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 06:02 AM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
radiohead.
Dems fighting words!

I would say those real bad-ass Christian "rock" bands are high on my list.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 06:05 AM

radiohead.

-r.
Too true.

Turgid, depressing, bland. Utter, utter rubbish.

Silencer
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2004, 06:08 AM

Ok I personally like Coldplay (I used to hate them and thought they sang the same song over and over until I actually sat down and gave them a fair listen), Radiohead, I also like them alot, and they seem to be a common target in these types of threads.

But personally I think bands like Jet and The Vines are more overrated, I think they suck.

P.S AC/DC also spring to mind, if your talking about bands with songs that all sound the same AC/DC top the list.

P.P.S The Placid Casual - At times depressing yes, but utter rubbish, far from it, experimental maybe, but 80% of their material is Awesome.

bobthecannibal
Mar 19, 2004, 06:15 AM

Silencer how could you call AC/DC and Jet bad.

I think someone has some anti-Australian feelings.

If we are talking about bad rock artists/bands how can we not mention nickleback.
currently being converted from pc to mac

cheerios
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 06:46 AM

dashboard confessional.
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by Silencer:
Ok I personally like Coldplay (I used to hate them and thought they sang the same song over and over until I actually sat down and gave them a fair listen), Radiohead, I also like them alot, and they seem to be a common target in these types of threads.

P.P.S The Placid Casual - At times depressing yes, but utter rubbish, far from it, experimental maybe, but 80% of their material is Awesome.
I guess it is a case of each to their own... Although I am a musician, have all their albums, seen them live, and yet still fail to see any redeeming features!

Silencer
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2004, 06:58 AM

Oh well sorry, but I'm a sound engineer so I have in in close proximity to bands in the studio so I'm well aware of when bands have talent, I have seen both bands live twice and also have all their albums, Maybe its a case of each to their own, but don't try and say they have no musical talent, when clearly a million people seem to think they do and love their music.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 06:59 AM

Anything under that 'nu-metal' brand, in fact pretty much a lot of mainstream music is guff just now, no matter what type of stuff they play.

Dave Matthews band, bugs the life out of me when people sport a fashion based on a band, it's what turned me off New Model Army years ago, people wearing clogs. Same with Goths, metal heads, trendy folk, etc.

Phew, I think I've pretty much covered everryone in trhe world.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by Silencer:
but don't try and say they have no musical talent, when clearly a million people seem to think they do and love their music.
I did not say that they have no talent. I just don't like the music they make. Clear difference.

Millions of people believe in lots of things... doesn't mean that I have to.

ryju
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Too true.

I guess that's why OK Computer was album of the year when it came out...

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by ryju:
I guess that's why OK Computer was album of the year when it came out...
If you know about the record industry, that doesn't mean it was any good

gadster
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 10:16 AM

Most over-rated: The Doors
Most under-rated: The B52s
e-gads

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2004, 10:32 AM

If you know about the record industry, that doesn't mean it was any good
Harumph. Radiohead are pretty much scapegoats for doing what they do and being the focus of attention by a great many people who consider them better than your average band (myself included). I guess that makes them overrated if a lot of people don't agree. However, I seriously can't comprehend why some people don't think they're any good. But then again, I can't comprehend why anyone would want to be a conservative, either.

My picks:

Overrated: Cheap Trick, The Strokes
Underrated: Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2004, 10:51 AM

radiohead.

-r.
^^^^^

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Mar 19, 2004, 10:53 AM

definitely the beatles.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2004, 11:01 AM

I guess it is a case of each to their own... Although I am a musician, have all their albums, seen them live, and yet still fail to see any redeeming features!
That's a pity. I take it that you just don't *like* them.

However, as a musician, you should know to separate your personal taste from judging how deserving of critical/public acclaim an artist is, no?

I can't stand Leonard Cohen, but that says nothing about how under- or overrated he is.

I think U2 has been overrated since whatever came after "Achtung Baby" (which is a milestone IMO).

-s*

gadster
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 11:02 AM

Radiohead are, imho, one of those acts that skirt the fine line between being brilliant and being complete rubbish. Great musos, pushing the limits. Love 'em for their pioneering spirit.
e-gads

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2004, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by fizzlemynizzle:
definitely the beatles.
Best songwriting EVER. Up there with Dylan and Bowie.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2004, 11:03 AM

Almost everything produced after the 1980s. It's all commercial Pablum, mindless mush.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Almost everything produced after the 1980s. It's all commercial Pablum, mindless mush.
That's what they said about Hendrix, the Stones, and the Beatles, too, you old fart, you.

I think the morsel to mush ratio has remained pretty constant over the past fifty years. The broad-appeal radio material has always, by and large, been ****. And if you don't keep up slightly more than casual interest, that's all the current stuff you'll be exposed to, obviously.

-s*

gadster
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
That's what they said about Hendrix, the Stones, and the Beatles, too, you old fart, you.

I think the morsel to mush ratio has remained pretty constant over the past fifty years. The broad-appeal radio material has always, by and large, been ****. And if you don't keep up slightly more than casual interest, that's all the current stuff you'll be exposed to, obviously.

-s*
e-gads

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 11:13 AM

That's a pity. I take it that you just don't *like* them.

However, as a musician, you should know to separate your personal taste from judging how deserving of critical/public acclaim an artist is, no?

I can't stand Leonard Cohen, but that says nothing about how under- or overrated he is.

I think U2 has been overrated since whatever came after "Achtung Baby" (which is a milestone IMO).

-s*
I know what you mean, and I'm not saying that they don't have talent. It is just that I don't *get* them at all! It is music to slash your wrists to.

Be it that I'm too young, too old, too stuck in my ways, too fond of change... I don't know! They just leave me cold. I can't see how they have got so big! I heard their stuff every day for 3 years at Uni with people playing it, went to gigs etc... still nothing.

I remember the first time I heard Neil Young's 'After The Goldrush, Grateful Dead's 'American Beauty' or heard Albert King playing 'Blues at Sunrise' with SRV and I was blown away totally. Same when I heard Ultravox's 'Vienna', Jimi Hendrix 'Purple Haze', Cavaleria Rusticana. All totally different music, but it gives me a 'feeling'. Gets an emotional response, be it love or hate. Radiohead gives me nothing!

Then again, I think The Beatles are the best band ever so what do I know!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2004, 11:14 AM

Nonsense. You're completely ignorant.

I can't see how anyone could say the Beatles or Led Zep are overrated. Sheeeeet.

I would have to say The Mars Volta. Yeah, they're pretty good instrumentalists, but let's face it: De-Loused in the Comatorium is a whole lot of unfocused, rambling incoherency. And ths is from someone who frantically bought it the day it was released.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by gadster:
Most over-rated: The Doors
Most under-rated: The B52s
You are joking right?

Take it back!

Jim Morrison = Prince of Poetry!

The B52's? = Love Shack....... Tin roof-rusted???? Come on.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by ShortcutToMoncton:
Nonsense. You're completely ignorant.

I can't see how anyone could say the Beatles or Led Zep are overrated. Sheeeeet.

I absolutely love Zep, but they did put out a *lot* of junk between their classics!

The Beatles are to me, so far, unsurpassed.
( Last edited by The Placid Casual; Mar 19, 2004 at 11:50 AM. )

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 19, 2004, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Speckledstone:
Be my guest...

Don't encourage him.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2004, 11:30 AM

I know what you mean, and I'm not saying that they don't have talent. It is just that I don't *get* them at all! It is music to slash your wrists to.

Be it that I'm too young, too old, too stuck in my ways, too fond of change... I don't know! They just leave me cold. I can't see how they have got so big! I heard their stuff every day for 3 years at Uni with people playing it, went to gigs etc... still nothing.
Radiohead is one of those bands that got killed for me by overplaying. I couldn't get into them because OK Computer was friggin' *everywhere*. Kid A was the album that really crept up over time. Heard it and thought "Okay, this is special. Don't know if I like it or not, but it's definitely not something to be brushed aside lightly." It touched me. I listen to it *very* rarely.

And I disagree about the "wrist-slashing" comment. Leonard Cohen: Now *that* is music to kill yourself by.

All totally different music, but it gives me a 'feeling'. Gets an emotional response, be it love or hate. Radiohead gives me nothing!
Some music doesn't evoke an immediate response from me. Sometimes that means I don't care for it at all, sometimes it gently creeps into the brain and doesn't leave.

Very underrated "depressing" band, btw: Codeine. The "Frigid Stars EP" is incredible. I don't know any of their other stuff, though I hear it's not as good.

-s*

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2004, 11:31 AM

Too true.

Despite the content, I wouldn't deny Radiohead's talent. I thought that's what this thread was about. I've never found them depressing at all, personally.

Anyway, my vote goes for an overrated Linkin Park.

gadster
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 11:34 AM

I absolutely love Zep, but they did put out a *lot* in junk between their classics!

The Beatles are to me, so far, unsurpassed.
White Album: Rocky Racoon Number 9 etc
e-gads

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2004, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Anyway, my vote goes for an overrated Linkin Park.
post the pic! post the pic!

DBursey
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 11:48 AM

Talent-wise, I'd have to finger the Rolling Stones as one of the most overrated bands ever.

I saw them at the Downsview concert last summer in Toronto. They were eclipsed by the other talent sharing the headline. AC/DC in particular put on an excellent show at that event. The Stones performance, by contrast, was rather a disappointment.

The Stones are / were a mediocre band whose initial success IMO was derived from being at the right place at the right time with the 'right' image. That, or else Keith Richards sold his soul to the dark lord in 1962.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2004, 11:52 AM

post the pic! post the pic!
Why, what ever do you mean?

gadster
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by DBursey:
Talent-wise, I'd have to finger the Rolling Stones as one of the most overrated bands ever.

I saw them at the Downsview concert last summer in Toronto. They were eclipsed by the other talent sharing the headline. AC/DC in particular put on an excellent show at that event. The Stones performance, by contrast, was rather a disappointment.

The Stones are / were a mediocre band whose initial success IMO was derived from being at the right place at the right time with the 'right' image. That, or else Keith Richards sold his soul to the dark lord in 1962.
Agreed about the Rolling Stones. For me, it was a toss up between them and the Doors. Difficult decision.
e-gads

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2004, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by Jesus_Christ:
Amen to that one. I totally agree with that. I know he is MUCH bigger in Europe than here in the States that is for sure but he does have quite the following here as well.

I love his New album.

A group that seems to be pretty underrated is RUSH.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 19, 2004, 11:59 AM

The Doors made it big because of a few reasons.

1. Jim's voice.
2. Jim's leather pants.

Ray and the rest weren't bad musicians though.

hayesk
Mar 19, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by bobthecannibal:
Silencer how could you call AC/DC and Jet bad.

I think someone has some anti-Australian feelings.

If we are talking about bad rock artists/bands how can we not mention nickleback.
Jet is not rated that highly so I wouldn't call them overrated. I like Jet but I don't hear everyone raving about how great they are, so why would anyone call them overrated?

Nickelback would go into my overplayed category. Again, I don't hear people calling them great. Just good.

As for overrated, Oasis would top my list. Beatles are on there too.

mac-kerouac
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2004, 12:43 PM

You know who sucks?

Bob Dylan.

Really, isn't most of the point of music the actual "listening to" part? Well, I've no desire to listen to Bob, at least not when he is singing. He has done some nice writing, but why did he make albums?

Just a thought.
iBook G4 12"/640/60/Combo/AE

gadster
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by mac-kerouac:
You know who sucks?

Bob Dylan.

Really, isn't most of the point of music the actual "listening to" part? Well, I've no desire to listen to Bob, at least not when he is singing. He has done some nice writing, but why did he make albums?

Just a thought.
e-gads

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 19, 2004, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by mac-kerouac:
You know who sucks?

Bob Dylan.

Just a thought.
I've always liked Hendrix's versions of his songs better.

Great songwriter, annoying voice.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 02:06 PM

The Strokes: no cajones to back-up the attitude.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2004, 02:34 PM

1. DMB. All the notes, all the time. why do you have to prove how fast you can play every single second of every single "song?" Are they collectively really that insecure?

2. Oasis. Both pathetic AND whiny. DMB should give them half the notes, since they can't seem to find any except for E, A and D on their own.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Why, what ever do you mean?

Where's the "Token useless DJ" option?

Adopt-A-Yankee

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2004, 03:19 PM

most overrated: U2

Forum Links