Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I thought this battery bug was squashed

I thought this battery bug was squashed
Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2002, 08:29 AM

I thought this bug (which happens on wake-by-opening-lid):

was squashed in 10.2.1

Does anyone else still get it?

[edit] - I have a pismo 500Mhz G3
( Last edited by Diggory Laycock; Oct 30, 2002 at 10:44 AM. )

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2002, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Yep!
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2002, 10:35 AM

I still get it too. Maybe 10.2.2 will arrive soon and fix it.

torifile
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 10:38 AM

I get it when I have a cd in the drive.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2002, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
I thought this bug (which happens on wake-by-opening-lid):

was squashed in 10.2.1

I can't seem to view that bug.. err, i mean screenshot. [EDIT: never mind, I seem to be able to view it now]

I do have TI Powerbook G4 but I'm not aware of any bugs related to wake-by-opening-lid. Perhaps it only happened to certain laptop?

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 11:11 AM

I get it a lot on my iBook 500. I'll have 95% left and it'll tell me I am on reserve batt. power.

Hell I've even had it sleep on me with 45% left. FIX this soon Apple... it's my only complaint!

Mac Guru

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2002, 11:21 PM

I get it on my iBook 600. OS 10.2.1 but not often. I have not seen it in quite some time (like ten days or so), but I digress.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Cellery
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2002, 12:23 AM

This happens about once a week on my Rev. B TiBook, the most recent time being today when I opened it up to check out MacNN. It always makes you do a double take, and you wonder where the battery life went. At least my machine seems to take less power in sleep mode under Jag, it used to take about 15-20% off during the night.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2002, 12:31 AM

I've not gotten any bugs at all re: battery life on my iBook 500. In fact, 10.2 revealed that my battery had been dying for a while, and on my new battery I get loads of life.

Have you reset the power manager?

Cheers
Scott

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2002, 08:08 AM

OS 10.2.1 on my iBook 700 and I haven't has this problem (CD in drive or not).

Keep the rubber side down!

Zemrec
Oct 30, 2002, 10:28 AM

I don't know if this is related, but ever since installing Jaguar, my iBook 700 is unusable on battery power. The power meter may say 80% or 90%, but a few minutes later, the iBook goes instantly to sleep and can't wake unless I plug it in. Then the power meter says 0% and the battery indicator on the bottom of the book blinks just 1 LED.

Is this the same issue? Should I report it? Reinstall??

BatmanPPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2002, 10:45 AM

To all:

Try resetting your power manager and see if that helps.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449
--
Mohammad A. Haque
http://www.haque.net/
mhaque|haque.net

Lew
Senior User
Oct 30, 2002, 12:31 PM

The only battery-related bug I've seen on my Pismo is this one:

�which has been around since the 10.2 betas were doing the rounds. Not exactly a show-stopper, but it'd be nice to have my battery menuextra display the current charge. As it is, I can't because it just looks stupid when it's on mains power and sticks at 'Calculating� until full'

Zemrec
Oct 30, 2002, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by BatmanPPC:
To all:

Try resetting your power manager and see if that helps.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449
Nope. Did it twice so far, it went to zero power, I shut it off. Pressed shift-control-option-power, waited 5 secs, turned it on. Then let it charge to 100%, unplugged, and within 10 mins, it says 0%.

And this iBook is only about 4 months old, mostly been on AC power, so it can't be the battery.

HELP!

BatmanPPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2002, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Zemrec:

Nope. Did it twice so far, it went to zero power, I shut it off. Pressed shift-control-option-power, waited 5 secs, turned it on. Then let it charge to 100%, unplugged, and within 10 mins, it says 0%.

And this iBook is only about 4 months old, mostly been on AC power, so it can't be the battery.

HELP!
I wouldn't rule out the battery until you've also tried another OS (OS 9 or Puma) and found that everything worked.

My Pismo 500 battery died suddenly after some months so it is known to happen.
--
Mohammad A. Haque
http://www.haque.net/
mhaque|haque.net

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2002, 07:20 PM

This low-battery error problem also occurs on my Rev. A (tangerine) iBook, too. Just to clarify, I purchased a new battery for my system a few weeks before Jaguar hit the stores. Using 10.1.5, I didn't have any "low battery" alerts unless my battery was truly low. With Jag, I see this alert when waking from sleep although I have an ample charge. I'm hoping that Apple rectifies the problem with an update like others here.

"Psssst..."

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2002, 08:31 PM

I'm having the pesky "45-percent-left-goes-to-sleep-wakes-up-at-0-percent" problem with both batteries on my iBook 700 and with all three batteries on my wife's Pismo. This is freakin' ridiculous. Both running 10.2.1, no weird hardware or usage. Neither had these problems with 10.1.
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

Pete M
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2002, 11:48 PM

I've experienced the same problem on my Ti400 running 10.2.1. I usually get the error after it's been sleeping for a good part of the day. I get the error most consistently when the machine has been sitting in the my luggage after a long day of travel. I've also noticed that the remaining time on the battery will slowly increase from 2 minutes remaining up to its correct time.

I don't recall ever having this problem with 10.2. I know I never encountered it with 10.1.x.
---Pete

cutterjohn
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2002, 02:08 AM

yes, I still get that annoying bug occasionally on both a Pismo & a dual USB iBook.

Do any of you get the Calculating... display when recharging & the battery is at 100% charge? (I show time left rather than %, as time is usually pretty accurate on apple notebooks.)

while we're on the list: does processor cycling really do anything anymore? permanently set at lower clock on newest iBooks/TiBooks? and why is is no longer supported on other powerbooks/ibooks? It used to work in OS9, and MOST motorola and, obviously, IBM G3s support this...

(Motorola does because they want to sell them as generic embedded processors. I know MOST of their other chips support a much wider latitude of programmable clock registers that either have to be set at bootstrap or under very specific conditions.)

Diggory Laycock  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2002, 09:02 AM

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2002, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by Zemrec:

HELP!
It can be the battery. Mine died (same symptoms as yours) after about 4 months, too. Called Apple support and they sent me a new one.

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2002, 09:50 AM

It's NOT the battery... it's the OS! Apple is aware of this issue. All three of our 700mhz iBooks have been doing this since upgrading (?) to OSX 10.2. It's the ONLY problem we have with the system, really. I just wish they would FIX it. I mean, we're looking at 10.2.3 coming soon and STILL no fix.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2002, 11:19 AM

That's weird. I've had three TiBooks (I know, I am addicted), and I've never had this bug on any of them running every OS from 10.0.0 to 10.2.2. And even weirder is that I've never heard of this bug even after visiting these forums almost daily for almost two years. How did I miss this (now I will probably see this bug this evening and from now on!)

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Forum Links
Forum Rules