Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Official "Does 10.2.2 fix <insert problem here>" thread

Official "Does 10.2.2 fix <insert problem here>" thread (Page 2)
Lew
Senior User
Nov 12, 2002, 09:24 AM

"sudo shutdown now" still gives the 'bootstrap_look_up()' errors

eno
Banned
Nov 12, 2002, 09:44 AM

Number one bugfix I'm waiting for (now that we've got journalling -- yay!) is:

-- remember AirPort and Internet Sharing prefs on each reboot.

As things currently stand, you have to create a new AirPort network each time you reboot (and type in that password all over again), and then activate sharing manually.

There are kludgy command-line hacks around that allow you to bypass this, but I don't like using kludgy command-line hacks.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2002, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by OverclockedHomoSapien:

Utilities? In OS X? I just fsck it and trash the utilities folder upon installation or upgrade. OS X don't need 'em...
LOL, rrrriiiiggghhhtttt.

jubbly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2002, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by Aussie John:
Auto sleep after selected number of minutes still doesnt work
quicksilver G4
2 hard drives
all sharing & apple talk off

it does sleep i do it manually
and worked in 10.1

i had this exact prob on my emac. turns out it was related to Norton Personal Firewall (no surprises there). it was fine once i had performed the numerous OS gymnastics required to remove that nasty norton shite from my mac.

kzmk
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2002, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
It was reported when OS X.2 first came out. I was not the first person to notice.
This did not occur in OS X.1.5 as far as I remember. And, as the other poster said, there should still have been icons placed to the right.

This is a bug, not a feature.
ah well, o, call it a bug.
happy now? it's a bug, so what? can we squash it? nope.

i was just trying to explain why this might happen. i don't like it, i don't think it's right, yes it's a bug - whatever.

do this: delete the part of the folder name that wraps to the second line and see all your icons spring into position.

i can only assume that the grid is awfully strict. if they'd place the sherlock icon next to the toast folder, than they'd have to skip whatever comes after "stickies" and would need to rearrange every icon that comes after that. guess for speed reasons (or whatever) they just choose to move evry subsequent icon one line down...

see, i'm not apologizing here, i think they could do better. only explaining...

cool?
now where's that smiley puffin' on a blunt?
All kinds of Utopian plans were flashing through his (B's) busy brain...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2002, 10:57 AM

No offence intended. Maybe we should call it a buggy feature?

TinkerTool does take care of the problem, although I would hope they either correct the problem or add a preference pane in the next OS X.2 revision.

manfreds
Nov 12, 2002, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:

As a matter of fact, I do, but you have to know the actual path to your web site.
Do you know of any way to ask the server for the "actual path"? I made a thread about this

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=130611

but so far nobody seems to know.

Also could you e-mail me some more details about what the problem in hdid is? I would then file another bug against this (just don't want to look like a complete fool).

I really would like this to work.
Turn your web browser into a great PDF viewer � with PDF Browser Plugin

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2002, 11:40 AM

Utilities? In OS X? I just fsck it and trash the utilities folder upon installation or upgrade. OS X don't need 'em...
You have no need for a Terminal, Print Center, NetInfo Mgr, Disk Utility, Console or Process Viewer? I say good for you, but incredibly bad advice.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

normyzo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2002, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by manfreds:
Do you know of any way to ask the server for the "actual path"? I made a thread about this

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=130611

but so far nobody seems to know.

Also could you e-mail me some more details about what the problem in hdid is? I would then file another bug against this (just don't want to look like a complete fool).

I really would like this to work.
You can't really "ask" the web server for the path. For security's sake, this stuff is protected because its part of the server configuration. You'll have to know the layout on-disk of the files and directories on the web server, and most responsible web server admins don't disclose this at random. If they are using Apache, this info would be in the httpd.conf file. If you can telnet into the server of ssh into it (because you've got an account on it) you can find this out fairly easily however.

Dan

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2002, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by xanderwilson:
Do the photos you put in address book appear in the emails from those people?
[snip]

Haven't updated to 10.2.2 yet, but if this still isn't fixed, download this application:

http://www.dasgenie.com/Pages/Softwa...hp?ThingId=202

It's called AddressImageExtractor, and will get those Address Book pics appearing in Mail. If you need more help, post back here.

"Psssst..."

Axel
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2002, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by eno:
Number one bugfix I'm waiting for (now that we've got journalling -- yay!) is:

-- remember AirPort and Internet Sharing prefs on each reboot.

As things currently stand, you have to create a new AirPort network each time you reboot (and type in that password all over again), and then activate sharing manually.

There are kludgy command-line hacks around that allow you to bypass this, but I don't like using kludgy command-line hacks.
You can use BrickHouse to have Internet Sharing activated at startup. Besides, it gives you far more control on the firewall settings than the system pref panel does. It won't help for the Airport Network problem though...

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2002, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Moonray:
And when do you get that Apple will not scan all your volumes for each update to make it a quick process...
It's not as much of a speed hit as some people would have you believe, and it can be automated. I mean, OS9's Software Update did it, so it can't be too much of a problem.
...and that they like you to create aliases in another folder if you want to sort them another way?
Sorry; but it's Apple's responsibility to make the system usable, not mine.

That said, this is a slight improvement, in that it doesn't spray half-packages across the Applications anymore. But System Update just plain won't be acceptable until it can find apps that you've moved. Although this is not a trivial task, neither is it terribly difficult.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

manfreds
Nov 12, 2002, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by normyzo:

You can't really "ask" the web server for the path. For security's sake, this stuff is protected because its part of the server configuration. You'll have to know the layout on-disk of the files and directories on the web server, and most responsible web server admins don't disclose this at random.
What a pity. So we'll have to wait for hdid to be fixed.

I filed a bug, and would like to encourage others to send feedback to Apple over the matter.
Turn your web browser into a great PDF viewer � with PDF Browser Plugin

Storyboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2002, 01:55 PM

I'm still unable to have Internet Connect drop my dial-up PPP connection after "x" minutes idle. I've had no luck here (or anywhere else) finding anyone with a similar issue, but I am wondering if 10.2.2 might fix that.

Any update to Internet Connect?
Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.

iMac Core2Duo 2.16GHz/3G RAM/250G HD OSX 10.6.6
Various Peripherals

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 02:11 PM

I just had a look inside the 10.2.2 package, and it does appear that it is configured to use the Installer's new Find File feature. It should update the apps in the correct locations if you've moved them, as far as I can tell.

Damn, I was kind of hoping I could beat Apple to this with Pacifist. Oh well, overall it's a win for the users.
Is this at last true? Or does it just skip the update if it's not in the right place?

I moved most of the apps that 10.2.2 updated into the Applications folder, but missed some of the smaller updates.

Could someone list the version number of Bluetooth File Exchange, or NetInfo Manager, or Terminal?

Thanks...

p.s. Incidentally, someone very kindly posted the lsbom text (list of every app updated) here

Moonray
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Sorry; but it's Apple's responsibility to make the system usable, not mine.
My system is perfectly usable with the apps in the place where Apple puts them.

That said, this is a slight improvement, in that it doesn't spray half-packages across the Applications anymore.
That's even a bugfix.

But System Update just plain won't be acceptable until it can find apps that you've moved. Although this is not a trivial task, neither is it terribly difficult.
I am happy that I can click the update button and forget about it (unless it wants a reboot) rather than having all my drives scanned and then getting asked minutes later which of the Applications it found I want to have updated and which not if I have some more than once.
Think of people who keep older versions for some reasons or even an older version of OS X.

-

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2002, 03:49 PM

Wait a minute. Do you mean that you just move the utilities themselves to another location and trash the Utilities folder, or do you trash the utilities themselves?

If the latter, that's amazingly stupid.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2002, 03:53 PM

And when do you get that Apple will not scan all your volumes for each update to make it a quick process and that they like you to create aliases in another folder if you want to sort them another way?

-
Good god, this has been brought up a thousand times. The answer: LaunchServices keeps track of where apps are when you move them, so a search isn't necessary. Comprende? Let me repeat a few times - LaunchServices! LaunchServices! LaunchServices!

It's very easy to do this. I can do it with a handful of lines of code.

If you haven't noticed, the Installer now can do this, if the package is set up right.

It's not hard.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 03:59 PM

I am happy that I can click the update button and forget about it (unless it wants a reboot) rather than having all my drives scanned and then getting asked minutes later which of the Applications it found I want to have updated and which not if I have some more than once.
Think of people who keep older versions for some reasons or even an older version of OS X.
-
We're not asking for the Installer to search all mounted drives looking for apps.

Personally I don't even think the Installer should be responsible for looking for Applications outside the "Applications" folder.

We're just asking for the Installer to look inside folders inside the Applications folder, for chrissake.

If and only if it finds that the apps it's looking for has been moved. So it wouldn't affect someone like you in the slightest. It would however, stop punishing the people who want to organize their Applications folder into categories (and without using a labryinthine, superfluous mix of folders and aliases). Isn't this what folders are for?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2002, 04:03 PM

I can appreciate both points of view in the application update debate. I believe that it is fundamentally wrong to demand that the user keep all of the applications where they were installed by default. We're not talking about vital components of system software here. And as others have pointed out, the user shouldn't have to suffer for wanting to organize his or her Applications folder into subfolders. I used to do it with all my Macs pre-OS X; it just doesn't make sense to have an unwieldy, super-conglomeration of applications in one folder. You wouldn't put your gardening tools in the house with your toaster and microwave, would you? I believe the same principle applies.

Yet, on the other hand, there is the issue of how the installer is supposed to divine the intent of the user. Some users do wish to preserve the old versions of select applications, and it would be improper for the installer to overwrite such files.

I believe our current system has been implemented partially on the basis of lazy Apple programmers. I believe it must have a great amount to do with OS X's improper reliance on hard paths, a dependency that was seldom present in the classic Mac OS.

The installer should handle these issues much more intelligently. The default behavior should be left as it currently is in this update -- only update applications if they're in expected locations. However, there should also be an Application Updating section of the Custom Install that has three options: default behavior, scan and update, and selective updating. The section would include a list of the user level applications that will be updated by the installer. Under scan and update, the installer would find all the copies on a drive and update them. (And according to CharlesS, the installer would already know where to find the applications.) Finally, under selective update, the user would manually choose which copies to update. Apple certainly has the resources to make the Installer more intelligent. Remember, the Mac should at all times strive to serve the user.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Nov 12, 2002 at 04:11 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 04:04 PM

Right, I forgot -- plus it doesn't even involve searching.

Charles, can you think of any reason why Apple is so hesitant to let the Installer use LaunchServices for Software Updates? If it's so easy, it just seems... strange.

Also, if someone could point out the version # of BlueTooth F.E., NetInfo Manager, or Terminal, I could confirm whether the 10.2.2 Installer has been fixed or not...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2002, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by lookmark:
Right, I forgot -- plus it doesn't even involve searching.

Charles, can you think of any reason why Apple is so hesitant to let the Installer use LaunchServices for Software Updates? If it's so easy, it just seems... strange.
Probably because it's hard to figure out how the UI should work - it's necessary to figure out whether the user wants to update an existing app or not, or if they intentionally moved something to keep it from being updated.

But this is Apple we're talking about here - they should be able to figure something out.

As for implementation, this is all it takes to get the path where, say, Mail.app resides:

[[NSWorkspace sharedWorkspace] fullPathForApplication:@"Mail.app"];

That's it - one line of code.

To look something up by, say, bundle identifier, you do this:

Code:
CFURLRef url; NSString *path; LSFindApplicationForInfo(nil,(CFStringRef)@"com.apple.mail",NULL,NULL,&url); path = [(NSURL *)url path];
Not hard at all.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2002, 04:40 PM

Also, if someone could point out the version # of BlueTooth F.E., NetInfo Manager, or Terminal, I could confirm whether the 10.2.2 Installer has been fixed or not...
Terminal is 1.3.1, although Get Info reports Terminal v1.3 (Column view reports 1.3.1).

NetInfo Manager: Column View reports 1.3, Get Info reports 1.2 (what the hell?).

Bluetooth File Exchange is 1.0.1 in Column View.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 04:45 PM

Interesting.

I'm curious -- how would the Installer, using LaunchServices, act if you:

- have an older version of Mail on an older version of OS X on another partition?

- have made a copy of Mail and move it to another folder in Applications?

- have copied an older version of Mail from another drive into a folder in Applications?

IOW, when and how is LaunchServices updated?

macmike42
Senior User
Nov 12, 2002, 04:47 PM

I'm not Charles, but I can guess why. LaunchServices was only completed (from my point of view: documented) recently by the Carbon team, while Installer.app was ported from NeXT.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

jay999
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2002, 05:54 PM

I had a problem on a 933 and a dual 867 after installing 10.2.1 which made scrolling in PS7 (classic) and screensavers very chuggy but 10.2.2 for some reason seems to have fixed that.

j

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2002, 06:07 PM

When and how is LaunchServices updated?
The LaunchServices database is updated for all applications in all Applications folders at login time, and every time an application is launched with LaunchServices (i. e. when double-clicked in Finder - though the Dock didn't use LaunchServices in 10.1 at least).
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 06:31 PM

Terminal is 1.3.1, although Get Info reports Terminal v1.3 (Column view reports 1.3.1).

NetInfo Manager: Column View reports 1.3, Get Info reports 1.2 (what the hell?).

Bluetooth File Exchange is 1.0.1 in Column View.

Well, glory be. Those are my version numbers, too. Unless there have been no version number changes in any of those three apps, Installer found those apps in a different folder and updated them.

I wish I had noted the version #s beforehand, but I didn't.

So it's not **CONFIRMED!****, but perhaps (confirmed).

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
The LaunchServices database is updated for all applications in all Applications folders at login time, and every time an application is launched with LaunchServices (i. e. when double-clicked in Finder - though the Dock didn't use LaunchServices in 10.1 at least).
All Application folders, being

/Applications

and

~/Applications

but not

/Applications(old)

Is that right?

Rickster
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 06:44 PM

To repeat what CharlesS said earlier (but which didn't seem to be noticed): Installer in 10.2.0 and later does allow packages to specify means for hunting down and updating apps that have been moved, and the package for 10.2.2 does include that information. (Look inside the package: the Info.plist specifies tokens for 12 apps, and the TokenDefinitions.plist has details for how the Installer should search for those apps and update them.)

Now, it's a matter of whether this new feature actually works. Anyone who's not updated yet care to test?

I guess the "Improves updating of applications installed with Mac OS X, updating them only if they have not been relocated or deleted" note could be a misprint -- Apple's change notes are often based off bug database entries, and they often forget to reword a bug title so that it describes the fix instead of describing the bug.

Also, they claim to have fixed the LaunchServices/coreservicesd crash, so you (theoretically) no longer need to worry about mounting a disk image causing all your apps to crash and drag+drop to stop working.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

thanatos
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2002, 06:51 PM

Argh! "Open New Windows in Column View" still doesn't work!
I have the same problem. Using spring loaded folders when in column view makes windows open in symbol view instead of "sliding" in column view.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2002, 07:28 PM

Hey, the firewall seems to work in stealth mode now! I can now go to SheildsUP! at http://www.grc.com and it lists all my ports as Stealth! Sweet!

Could someone else verify that this also works on your machine, so I can verify that this is indeed fixed?

Moonray
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2002, 02:13 AM

Good god, this has been brought up a thousand times. The answer: LaunchServices keeps track of where apps are when you move them, so a search isn't necessary. Comprende? Let me repeat a few times - LaunchServices! LaunchServices! LaunchServices!

It's very easy to do this. I can do it with a handful of lines of code.

If you haven't noticed, the Installer now can do this, if the package is set up right.

It's not hard.
Would you mind to read my whole post and try to understand it before you call higher powers?

Thank you.

-

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 13, 2002, 04:02 AM

Hey, the firewall seems to work in stealth mode now! I can now go to SheildsUP! at http://www.grc.com and it lists all my ports as Stealth! Sweet!

Could someone else verify that this also works on your machine, so I can verify that this is indeed fixed?
Lots of green for me. Looks good. (It wasn't stealth before?)

[edit: OS X Server too]
( Last edited by Xeo; Nov 13, 2002 at 04:14 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2002, 04:14 AM

Re: renaming/moving packages problem

I have a suggestion for how the installer could work. Does this behaviour please everybody here? If so I was thinking of submitting it to the OS X feedback page.

- The installer updates everything it has to as long as it is at the default path and has the default name.

- It then presents the user with a window saying that not all packages to be updated were found at their default locations. The window has a list of the "missing" packages.

- The window has two buttons: "Update all in List" and "Cancel".

- Upon double-clicking a list entry the installer opens an open/save dialog and points to the package according to the path found in LaunchServices. The user can use this path or one he/she chooses manually. There are two buttons: "Update" and "Cancel".

- If in the list window the user clicked on "Update all in List" he/she is presented with open/save dialogs (again pointing to the path found in LaunchServices) for evey entry in the list. He/she chooses a path and clicks on "Update & Continue".

This behaviour would allow users to put stuff wherever they please (Mac style!) and makes sure everything gets updated if the user wishes. It however also repects those users who wish to keep an older version (they move the app to a different path or rename it). It seems very Mac-like behaviour to me to give the users as much freedom as possible but staying simple and efficient at the same time.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2002, 04:19 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Lots of green for me. Looks good. (It wasn't stealth before?)
Nope, it only closed the ports before. It was very annoying.

macmike42
Senior User
Nov 14, 2002, 09:13 PM

Sorry to drag this thread out of its grave...this is on topic, damnit.

Reprinted without permission from Crazy Apple Rumors:

Mac OS X 10.2.2 Doesn't Fix User's Life.

Apple's release of Mac OS X version 10.2.2 yesterday is said to fix problems in Address Book, iChat, IP Firewall, Mail, Print Center, Rendezvous, Sherlock and Windows file service discovery. For one user, however, it has not fixed the problems in his life.

Dale Parker, a customer service representative at a Boston insurance company, admits he might have expected too much from the software update.

"I was really hoping this would be the one, you know?" Parker said. "The update that would turn my life around."

"I installed it immediately, of course. Yet I still feel as empty and depressed as I did before. I don't get it."

"Maybe I need to do a clean install."

Parker claims to have been in his present "funk" since the late eighties.

"I think it was during the Dukakis campaign. That was about the time I lost interest in everything. I got really excited about it and got a Dukakis bumper sticker and then... it kind of just sucked the life out of me. Like the air being let out of a balloon."

Shortly after entering his funk, Parker discovered the Mac. The Mac has seen him through a string of boring jobs, lackluster relationships and countless hours watching the same plots on TV shows from Star Trek: The Next Generation to CSI.

He has installed countless system updates since then in hopes that each would give him the spark he needs to "get his **** together."

"When iMovie was release, I thought, this is it!" Parker said. "I've always liked watching movies so I thought maybe I could be good at making movies."

"Turns out you need a digital camera and actors and stuff, so that didn't really work out."

Parker is pleased by the increased stability 10.2.2 has brought to his applications, but is now setting his sites on 10.3.

"I figure in 10.3 they'll introduce some new feature or capability that will make it easier for me to, um... I don't know. I don't know what I really want to do."

"I was sort of hoping Apple would tell me."

Parker continues his vigil for a sign through the Software Update application.
I just thought it was appropriate.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

dru
Senior User
Nov 15, 2002, 04:21 PM

Item Info won't "stick" in "Computer". I thought it was a permissions issue but even 'root' can't get it to stick *UNLESS* it's set to use the same view as "All Folders" and that view has Item Info turned on.

Finder is forgetful here as well. Often fonts will be larger than they should be at random (often after I've been to 9.x and does a "Clean up". I get this insane white space thing mentioned in this thread now and then too.

On occasions folder will have scrollbars that tell me there's something further down when in fact there's nothing at all. Why can't Apple have the scrollbar & view keep up with where the contents really are when you resize the icons? Try this, go to a folder with big icons set. Scroll to the bottom. Resize the icons. You now have to scroll UP because the icons aren't in view anymore. This is BRAINDEAD behavior, Apple!

rhigginbo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2003, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by bartman00:
Will it enable my Iomega 12x10x32 burner to burn in the finder again?? It worked great in 10.1.x but not 10.2...... answer NO. WTF
Does anyone know why Iomega support for Jaguar is so bad? Why are there no drivers for Iomega Predator for USB? It worked in 9, 10.1, and boom! I can't believe Iomega and Apple have not sorted this one out! I believe some compensation should be provided to owners of Iomega Predator CDRW drives!

Forum Links
Forum Rules