Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hmm... Witnesses of Jehova

Hmm... Witnesses of Jehova (Page 2)
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2014, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Oh please continue. The absolute schooling you are delivering is most amusing.
Seriously? Geez.

PS: For those that are still having difficulty accepting these little things we call "facts", this little tidbit from the Nicene Creed ought to be your first clue.

"I believe in one, holy, CATHOLIC and apostolic Church."
Meaning: "universal" and "connected via lineage with the apostles". So... yeah...
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2014, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
I capitalized it for emphasis as I often do. The point being is that the Nicene Creed is the product of the Roman Catholic Church. Notwithstanding the fact that "little C" catholic has a broader meaning:
No, Pope Sylvester I had little interest in the Nicene Council and only sent a couple delegates for the sake of appearances.

Put another way, even though the word "catholic" is used in the name of the church for "universal" purposes, it is notable that it is still preceded by "Roman". Because that is where the power resided to spread the faith through that part of the ancient world. The fact that there was even a need for the Council of Nicea in the first place speaks to the existence of disagreement among the early followers of Christ over doctrinal and theological issues. But as the old saying goes ... history is written by the victors. And that was certainly the case in this particular situation because the Roman Catholic Church on the orders of Emperor Constantine burned the writings of the losers. And anyone found in possession of them were executed. IJS.

OAW
There are FIVE unbroken lines of "Popes" (Roman, Copt, Ethiopian, Syrian, Maronite), connecting all the way back to the original 72 apostles. Just because most in the US haven't heard of them doesn't mean they haven't influenced, and/or represented, 100s of millions, if not billions, of people.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2014, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I don't recall the presbytarian church my friends went to saying the Nicene Creed during mass, er services.
It's generally taught in Sunday school, it's not a part of the regular service for most protestants.
- Thomas Paine

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2014, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
In the creed?
No. In the name of the institution that won the conflict.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2014, 07:31 PM

I will say one thing. Shaddim raises a good point. Which goes to the crux of the point of contention between him and Shifuimam.

"Christian" as defined as the original agreed upon theological doctrine of the various factions of "Christendom" in 325 AD is one thing. Whereas "Christian" as defined as a "follower of the teachings of Christ" is another. And the two are certainly not always synonymous.

OAW

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2014, 07:59 PM

I'm thinking it needs a "C" and "c" capitalization identifier, like with Libertarians/libertarians.
- Thomas Paine

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2014, 04:59 PM

Someone has been watching Zeitgeist The Movie too much
45/47

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2014, 08:22 AM

Talk about anti-Theist spin, that "documentary" (Zeitgeist) has it all. It's the atheist version of Infowars. I counted a dozen blatant misrepresentations and outright BS statements, just in the first 15 minutes.
- Thomas Paine

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
May 15, 2014, 10:32 AM

I realize that discussing and debating is a big part of what the regular forum members here do, and I think it is great - I have learned some very important things from reading your posts over the years.

That being said, I feel the need to point out that IMHO all the legalistic "brewhaha" tends to detract from Jesus' original message.

" Something has happened to the integrity of the Gospel of Jesus Christ over the centuries; it has become radically compromised since Jesus walked the earth. The original gospel message has gradually become corrupted, diluted, polluted, tainted, and perverted; it has systematically been adulterated, contaminated, fractionated, and obfuscated; and in the most recent past, it has been alphabetized, analyzed, categorized, compartmentalized, commercialized, modernized, and digitized, and by all these actions — it has become almost paralyzed!

The last great ministry of the Holy Spirit, which was promised to mankind by the Original Gospel of Jesus, has been stalled; it has been twisted and convoluted; it has been imitated with chaotic counterfeits, and it has been ignored by what calls herself Christianity today. "

"There is a divine spark in every man. The first gospel revealed the plan, by which a patient, loving God has made provision to redeem All who will, to come home through Christ Jesus"

The Modern vs. the Original Gospel : A tabular comparison of the differences ...

The point I am trying to make in simplistic terms, is that God wants us to have a personal relationship with him, and we accomplish this through Jesus.

James
( Last edited by unicast reversepath; May 15, 2014 at 10:36 AM. Reason: sentence structure, and stuff (ADHD??) (LOL))
If you have Ghosts, you have Everything!

Forum Links
Forum Rules