Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Singing Vocals to notes transcribing app?

Singing Vocals to notes transcribing app?
andi*pandi
Dec 12, 2017, 12:06 AM

A request I'm passing on from the older generation:

I am looking for a software app that will convert vocal sounds to actual chords/notes. Is there such an animal? I looked at "Band in a Box", but could not figure if it would do what I want. I have an Imac, running 10.9. Help?
I suspect he's composed a melody but doesn't know how to write down the notes.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 12, 2017, 10:27 AM

Would a guitar tuning app work? I have one on my phone that I've used before, if it can pick up guitar strings and give me the note, I assume it would work for vocals. I'd try it but I'm at work...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2017, 07:25 PM

The classic and first to perform this utter magic was Celemony’s Melodyne. Not sure what their portfolio is like these days, but you’re looking for MIDI output.

Logic and Cubase can do it too, I believe. At least they have built-in pitch correction, so they can definitely recognise the notes - I’ll have to see whether/how they can export that note data.

Another problem with notation is the timing, though. I know Logic has a function where you can tap the beats to get the bars set correctly (which is necessary for notation). Not sure about other software.

Edit: Melodyne Assistant is the smallest version that will export to MIDI so you can throw it into MuseScore or any other free notation software that accepts MIDI files to print it. Pricey at 249€, though.

Remember, this is magic.

If this isn’t a recurring thing, it may be more effective to just have somebody transcribe it.

andi*pandi  (op)
Dec 13, 2017, 01:16 AM

Thanks guys. I don't think at 76 he's going pro so 250 euro prob too steep. Melodyne sounds close. I'll have him try the trial and see if he can figure it out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules