Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Internal Lan via Ethernet w/ Dialup Internet?

Internal Lan via Ethernet w/ Dialup Internet?
Luis Sanchez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2000, 09:04 AM

I've been searching for the answer to this problem for years. How do I enable TCP/IP on the built-in ethernet of my iMac, and simultaneously use the Dialup support to connect to the internet? It's been an incredible inconvenience the last couple of years. Currently I resort to switching configurations dozens of times a day.

Thanks in advance!

jzaw
Aug 28, 2000, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Luis Sanchez:
I've been searching for the answer to this problem for years. How do I enable TCP/IP on the built-in ethernet of my iMac, and simultaneously use the Dialup support to connect to the internet? It's been an incredible inconvenience the last couple of years. Currently I resort to switching configurations dozens of times a day.

Thanks in advance!
hey

thats exactly what ive just done with my 2 macs

i have a g4 and a g3 pbook both 100bT

with a cross patch cable im filesharing and serving an epson 740 printer from the pbook to both puters (the s/w you need to serve the printer is StyleScript 5 it rips postscript too! so will print from quark rather nicely)

further with some s/w called IPNetRouter you can share the dialup connection via your 56k modem in one of your puters

i have the pbook setup as the router and the g4 is the client

works great more so that if youre not actually connected and you hit the browser in the client puter the router puter will infact dialup and connect

the pdf manual is fab and just follow the instructions letter for letter and you cant go wrong

by sharing the connection i can surf the www, send and recieve email and ftp my files too from either puter its invisible to the use

all via the ethernet connection in both

r infact i run a server from time to time on the pbook while i surf the www on the g4

56k isnt fast but if there is no traffic on the server then the browsing is just as fast as if the connection were direct

just do a search for ipnetrouter in the www once youve got the s/w setting up will take you about 5 mins (if you read the pdf manual)

------------------

do acts of random kindness and senseless beauty!

do acts of random kindness and senseless beauty!

Luis Sanchez  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2000, 01:52 AM

I was looking for a solution that only involved the one Mac I have. All other machines (running Linix and various Windows flavors) can connect to the net via thier modems while still accessing internal resources via ethernet ....

tonymac
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2000, 08:45 AM

Actually,IPNetRouter will work with one computer allowing you to access two network interfaces at the same time. I does this by routing packets addressed to the internal network to the ethernet port, and external network addresses to the PPP connection. If you wanted it can also act as a gateway for the other computers on your network, which is actually its intended purpose. Also, if you have a Linux box on your network, you could set Linux up as your gateway, and just use ethernet on the iMac.

Luis Sanchez  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2000, 01:03 PM

Thank for the help. Looks like IPNetRouter is the way to go. My final solution will be to setup a Linux box as a gateway, just need more time.

Thanks again!

Forum Links
Forum Rules