Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > HELP!

HELP!
will ed
Sep 1, 2000, 10:59 AM

I have a Performa running OS 8.6. About an hour ago I tried to run a program from my old Classic. It crashed. Fair enough. However, since then my Mac has been running much S-L-O-W-E-R. Just typing this is slow. There's a time lag sometimes, but imbetween it's normal speed. It can't run the startup movie I usually have (PSX startup). It gets through it at literally about 1fps. Help! I've scanned the HD and re-built the desktop, but no luck. It's the same with extensions off. Somebody's got to know what's happening! Please? I'm desperate here!

Will

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2000, 03:24 PM

If you don't already have it, download TechTool and use it to zap the PRAM. TechTool does a better job at zapping PRAM than the key command.

John Strung
Senior User
Sep 4, 2000, 08:59 AM

When you say you scanned the hard drive, do you mean you scanned it with DiskFirstAid, or with a virus scanner. Sounds to me like you might have picked up a virus.

You could download Peek-a-Boo from the MacFixit Library and run it to see if there are any background applications running that are taking up CPU time.

Also check the startup items folder in your system folder to see if anything got added to it.

[This message has been edited by John Strung (edited 09-04-2000).]

will ed
Sep 4, 2000, 05:05 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.... Thanks. Just zapping the P-RAM with Tech-Tool seemed to do the trick. Phew.

Forum Links
Forum Rules