Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Weird OS X problem with DVDs

Weird OS X problem with DVDs
andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2005, 10:45 AM

Recently, I've been getting this problem on my iBook where the DVD freezes when playing (in DVD Player or VLC) and this (see below for the messages) shows up in Console.app and the disc refuses to eject when I press the Eject button on my iBook.

And I have to resort to using a paperclip to remove the disc.

I've tried different DVDs and I mostly get the same error.

Psst: I'm on OS 10.3.8 that was recently "archived and reinstalled".

I've done a little googling, and this is one of the relevant things that turned up.

The message is pretty long, so I've only cut out a portion of it.
Code:
... ## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (sdec/MM91/FhG ) ## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (sdec/MM92/FhG ) ## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (sdec/MM93/FhG ) ## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (sdec/MM94/FhG ) ## Component Manager: attempting to find symbols in a component alias of type (sdec/MM95/FhG ) ...
How do I resolve the problem?

Thanks
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

iYeat
Apr 3, 2005, 12:12 AM

Launch /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
AFter it's done loading drivers, click on & highlight your drive (idented) on the left.
Click on the "Repair Disk Permissions" on the right-hand pane.

This will take a few minutes, but after awhile the progress window should indicate files and the permissions changing.

Does this help?
"My software never has bugs. It merely develops random, undocumented features."
-Anonymous

andretan  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2005, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by iYeat:
Launch /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
AFter it's done loading drivers, click on & highlight your drive (idented) on the left.
Click on the "Repair Disk Permissions" on the right-hand pane.

This will take a few minutes, but after awhile the progress window should indicate files and the permissions changing.

Does this help?
Done that, but I still see them messages appearing in Console. :/
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2005, 06:08 AM

Repairing permissions doesn't solve this kind of problem (I've never heard of it solving anything anyway).

It sounds like you've either got a faulty drive or a faulty logic board in your iBook. Could be software, but you've tried two completely different programs. When the drive freezes, the application is probably not getting the data it expects, and that generates the console error messages.

I know the logic board was a problem with some iBooks. Apple would probably replace it even if the warranty's expired. They did that for a friend of mine in Japan; picked it up, fixed it, and had it back in hands within a day or two (!).

andretan  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2005, 04:38 PM

I've got this message in Console.app as well.

2005-04-05 03:56:32.345 iTunes[4999] CFLog (21): Error loading /Library/Frameworks/Motion.framework/Versions/A/Motion: error code 0, error number 2 (dyld: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes can't open library: /Library/Frameworks/Motion.framework/Versions/A/Motion (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
)

The app may change, like I've had the message but the app stated is NetNewsWire, RealPlayer or something else.

I recently installed a bunch of codecs for QuickTime... could it be the source of my problems?

Thinking about doing a fresh install, but with Tiger around the corner, I don't know.

andretan  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2005, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by CaptainHaddock:
Repairing permissions doesn't solve this kind of problem (I've never heard of it solving anything anyway).

It sounds like you've either got a faulty drive or a faulty logic board in your iBook. Could be software, but you've tried two completely different programs. When the drive freezes, the application is probably not getting the data it expects, and that generates the console error messages.

I know the logic board was a problem with some iBooks. Apple would probably replace it even if the warranty's expired. They did that for a friend of mine in Japan; picked it up, fixed it, and had it back in hands within a day or two (!).
I doubt my problem has got to do with the Logic board... could be the drive, as I've <i>just</i> heard from some people that LGs are pretty problematic

Slightly off-topic:
In Singapore, AppleCare is pretty anal. In the past, they tried to swap a faulty Airport card with a working one, refused to admit that my sister's iBook was a lemon, and they refused to admit that my sister's iBook had the "logic board symptoms" until only recently when it became problematic (again), and OS X started "stalling" and finally they gave in and replaced the logic board and the HD. If only they had listened.
But of course, AppleCare over here is much improved. I hope.

leperkuhn
Senior User
Apr 4, 2005, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by CaptainHaddock:

My iBook froze one day, and refused to boot up again. I called apple the 2 days later. They actually had all my info on file, including when I bought the computer. turns out i was calling on the 1 year anniversary of the date of purchase. They send the box tuesday, i got it wednesday, got it back friday. I've never been so impressed with customer service.

I happened to be on vacation at the time, so I didn't have any of my boot disks. they extended my warrentee a few days to help me out, but I had to talk to a higher level up for that to happen.

Pretty much as soon as the guy didn't know what to do i said "maybe I should just speak t your supervisor". When I explained my situation she was very helpful.

hard drive & logic board replaced. I paid 0 dollars.

Forum Links
Forum Rules