Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Network shares cause my Mac to hang when they D/C

Network shares cause my Mac to hang when they D/C
stuppy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 12:00 PM

At work there are about 4 Macs , one of which I use.

I mount shares to all of them as I need stuff off each of the computers. If one of them is shut down, and I still have the share open, my Mac hangs with the spinning pizza of death, and I am unable to unlock the computer and have to hard reset.

Is there anyway I can make it so that it will timeout sooner? I have waited for aaround 5minutes for it to unhang its self and It never.

Its most annoying at the end of the day when we shut the macs down, if i shut mine down last, i go to shut down but the system hangs up completely and I have to power off with the button.

Its an Intel Imac 20inch, 2ghz, 2gig mem, 256meg gfx, 250gig hdd. Tiger 10.4.7.

Any help appreciated.
Macbook Pro 2GHz 15" :: 2GB Crucial Memory :: 100GB HDD :: ATi Radeon X1600 256 :: Superdrive :: Airport Wireless

stuppy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 05:49 PM

no1??
Macbook Pro 2GHz 15" :: 2GB Crucial Memory :: 100GB HDD :: ATi Radeon X1600 256 :: Superdrive :: Airport Wireless

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 22, 2006, 07:20 PM

Wrong forum. This is a network issue, not a MacOS issue. Moving to Networking...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2006, 10:03 PM

This has been an annoying bug in the Finder for many generations of OS X. For some reason, I didn't have this problem anymore when I switched to Tiger, but I know others who still do.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

thebiscuit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 01:29 PM

I think the 10.4.7 update was supposed to 'fix AFP deadlocks'.

But if you get the beachball and can't access the apple menu then press cmd+option+esc and force-relaunch finder. That should stop the hanging.

ink
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 09:50 PM

Also make sure that you don't launch any applications from network shares if you can help it; just copy documents back and forth.

iYeat
Aug 28, 2006, 04:44 AM

I'm pretty sure this is a bug in the Finder related to networking, not a network issue, so I think OS X was the proper forum for this.

10.4.7 is much better at handling this error. Sometimes, however, my system will lock for 2-3 minutes while "searching" for the volume, and then give me a notice that it's been disconnected.
"My software never has bugs. It merely develops random, undocumented features."
-Anonymous

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2006, 06:58 AM

...Still a networking issue, just one dealing with Finder...

And if you'll look through this forum, you'll see that this has been addressed a number of times. Finder just waits and waits and waits...because it expects to see something pop right up. Typically this delay is because (shudder!) the other end's networking settings aren't right.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules