Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone Watching Studio 60?

Anyone Watching Studio 60?
Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2007, 07:23 PM

The writing and acting is incredible.

In the past few episodes dealing with the two executive producers falling in love (not with each other, btw) the writing has been as close to reproducing exactly what it's been like for Eynstyn when he fell in love. Most shows (TV/Movies) do someone else's version, which is great for them I guess, but only approximates the feeling I've had in real life.

These actually come close to reproducing the exact same fears and the exact same thrills of falling in love and the exact same pacing and gestures and mechanisms and it is uncanny how well this all is captured and it is unbelievable how irresistible these actors are. I love the guys as surrogates of myself and I love the women as surrogates of my ladies fair.

Truly extraordinary writing.

Aaron Sorkin, everyone.

Aaron Sorkin.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2007, 08:01 PM

My wife and I have been watching it - I'm afraid she likes it better than I do though. Matthew Perry is very good in it.

Demonhood
Administrator
Feb 20, 2007, 08:06 PM

i enjoy it.

wait. did you just refer to yourself in the third person?

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post
My wife and I have been watching it - I'm afraid she likes it better than I do though. Matthew Perry is very good in it.
If I promise not to try 'selling' or defending the show or telling you why I feel the way I do, would you mind sharing why you don't like it as much as she?

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2007, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
i enjoy it.

wait. did you just refer to yourself in the third person?
I slipped.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2007, 10:22 PM

I haven't been following it. It turned me off big time during the first few episodes because it was stylistically identical to The West Wing, which I was a big fan of.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

andi*pandi
Feb 20, 2007, 10:24 PM

I watch it, I enjoy parts of it. I would enjoy seeing more "show within the show" and less romance . The smart women on the show seem to get inversely stupid whenever romance is in the air. Perry is good, so is Weber.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2007, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I haven't been following it. It turned me off big time during the first few episodes because it was stylistically identical to The West Wing, which I was a big fan of.
Hmmm. That's why I liked it. The way you like a painter's style or a musical artist's renditions of a subject I like Sorkin's style. The fast dialog, the quick jabs for jokes, the guy pals and gal pals and together familial feelings of professionalism and warmth played out realistically but with a certain sheen over it all. Love it.

And remember the cute, tough, smart, charismatic blond republican attorney who had a basement office in the Democratic Bartlett White House, Ainsley Hayes? Well, Studio 60 looks to have just possibly introduced a similar character for Chandler, er, Matthew Perry to become involved with. Cute, smart, tough and a foil or counterpoint to the home team.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2007, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I watch it, I enjoy parts of it. I would enjoy seeing more "show within the show" and less romance . The smart women on the show seem to get inversely stupid whenever romance is in the air. Perry is good, so is Weber.
I noticed that, too. But isn't that what happens in real life? Otherwise a lot fewer men would EVER get married.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2007, 12:50 AM

That show is not coming back on the air.... and if it does, please let go Harriet Hayes... she is a terrible character. She is supposed to be funny and charming and a great person, but she just whines, brings everyone down, and is in no way funny. I can't believe a person like her would be able to make it in show business for that long having such an odd opinion.

Studio 60 had an amazing first five minutes in the pilot episode, and from there, it has been down hill. The show should've been when Matt was a nothing on the show, that would've been better. Not when everyone is a superstar...

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2007, 01:32 AM

CSI:Miami is on at the same time as Studio 60. It IS the most watched show on CBS.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2007, 01:35 AM

I like it

-Owl

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2007, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Eynstyn View Post
If I promise not to try 'selling' or defending the show or telling you why I feel the way I do, would you mind sharing why you don't like it as much as she?
Sorry I didn't have time to expound earlier. I really enjoy how Matt and Danny play off each other. I really don't understand the female characters though. Harriet isn't believable - I think she's just a writer's creation to make this liberal hollywood vs. religious right conflict and it all seems a bit forced. I can sympathize with Matt, Danny, and even Jordan to some degree (although she's not as well written as Matt or Danny), but I cannot sympathize with Harriet. They tried a little too hard to develop her and it just isn't natural. She comes off as wishy-washy, shallow, and mean most of the time and I don't think that's what they meant for her to be. (And I agree with Nebagakid, "not funny")

Also, I don't understand why they spend so much time on the China deal/Chinese businessman/daughter arc. Maybe it'll pay off later but it's been very boring so far.

Other than that, I enjoy it - it's better than most other TV out there, except Heroes (we'll see how Lost comes around).

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2007, 02:08 AM

It is SO interesting to read your impressions. For the record, I find Harriet to be absolutely realistic and warm and smart and principled and I feel the struggle she has with trying to be true to her spiritual belief amongst those who don't feel similarly. I have known a few women like her and that kind of woman is my weakness.

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 21, 2007, 05:21 AM

I really wanted to like Studio 60 because I think Aaron Sorkin is truly one of the most talented writers in Hollywood today. But Studio 60 is just a tad too pretentious (and I consider myself a liberal). Come on, they're running a SNL-esque show, not running the country. And while I can acknowledge the close relationship between satire and politics, I don't feel like I need to be beaten over the head with it every week.

I'll miss Studio 60, but I'm looking forward to The Black Donnellys

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2007, 10:52 AM

I feel like this struggle shouldn't keep on coming up. After the third or fourth time, people would start rejecting her. It is perfectly fine to feel proud about your religion, but I would imagine anyone with that strong of feelings would have gone onto doing only movies a long time ago (and we saw how that worked out, she is a control freak complainer... who wants to work with her?)

I don't have any sympathy for Matt+Harriet because they seem to be the on again off again type that are in love... so, the little problems don't matter in the end. It definitally seems like the conflict presented in the show is of no consequence... everyone is still happy, living, has a job...

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
I really wanted to like Studio 60 because I think Aaron Sorkin is truly one of the most talented writers in Hollywood today. But Studio 60 is just a tad too pretentious (and I consider myself a liberal). Come on, they're running a SNL-esque show, not running the country. And while I can acknowledge the close relationship between satire and politics, I don't feel like I need to be beaten over the head with it every week.
Ditto. I wanted to like it, but it takes itself soooo seriously. That kind of poop & circumstance was appropriate for West Wing, but not this show.

andi*pandi
Feb 21, 2007, 01:12 PM

needs more sports night, less west wing.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2007, 01:45 PM

Yeah, 30 Rock totally spanks the overly pretentious Studio 60.

IMO, of course.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2007, 02:06 PM

I've seen a few episodes. I like that it is so stylistically similar to West Wing (which I absolutely love and was obsessed with). But I'm waiting for the first season to hit DVD before I jump into it. I hate missing episodes and having to catch up, and I'm not a big TV person.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2007, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad View Post
I've seen a few episodes. I like that it is so stylistically similar to West Wing (which I absolutely love and was obsessed with). But I'm waiting for the first season to hit DVD before I jump into it. I hate missing episodes and having to catch up, and I'm not a big TV person.
Did you know you can go to the TV Network for Primetime, Daytime and Late Night Television Shows � NBC Official Site site and watch the episodes online?

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Yeah, 30 Rock totally spanks the overly pretentious Studio 60.

IMO, of course.
They are both good.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
Studio 60 is just a tad too pretentious (and I consider myself a liberal). Come on, they're running a SNL-esque show, not running the country. And while I can acknowledge the close relationship between satire and politics, I don't feel like I need to be beaten over the head with it every week.
I'm the total opposite of a liberal, so of course I found much of the show to be offensive and over the top. But regardless of one's political beliefs, I can definitely agree that I don't need have Aaron's own politics shoved down my throat every week by way of a new show. We quit TiVoing it after two episodes. A one-hour drama is not meant to be a political statement. It's supposed to be entertaining, and when it turns into a fictional version of C-SPAN, it just gets to be a bit much.

The "I'm a real Christian but I'll stand behind the show when it mocks organized religion, specifically Christianity" bit from the blonde really got to me. I highly doubt they would have done that line if she had been Jewish, Hindu, or Muslim.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules