Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The WhyCry ® baby cry analyzer: Good or Bad?

The WhyCry ® baby cry analyzer: Good or Bad? (Page 2)
Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2007, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Me, too. I have a 2-mo.-old at home, and she has three or four distinctive cry sounds, and is getting more every day. Same with our other child. Most parents (IME) learn to recognize these sounds anyway, but if they don't, this analyzer might actually help to attune them to the difference in sounds and HELP them meet the child's needs. I think it's a good idea -- it won't replace parental attention.
The time you spend trying to learn your child and the child learning you is QUALITY time. And if you reduce the time spent together by that much time that save with this device, who does it really benefit?

The baby? You?

Penny smart. Pound foolish.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2007, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Starman is right on.

We had to use formula with our first born. We used (still) monitors. We used a pacifier with one. Bought jarred (organic) baby food for a couple months. Books, books, and more books. Used properly, this device is a godsend for some. But just like everything I mentioned, it can be abused. My brother only has custody 4 days a month of his daughter and this would allow him to quickly diagnose her needs and spend more time interacting with her and not soothing her.

I saw this device demoed somewhere (can't remember where) and it was amazing.
Eynstyn: The "dog" comment really pointed out where your intelligence lies.
disclaimer: I have a 17 month old and a 3.5 year old. Sometimes you just can't interpret them. And as for the nanny comment, we are with our children 98% of the time. I retired to raise my children.
Please don't 'Woof' at me unless you like being bannished to the Dog House.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2007, 08:32 PM

The problem with this device is that parents are already not paying any attention to their kids - they just want them to be happy and not bothering them. This makes it easier for parents to pay less attention. Ask a few teachers how much parents pay attention to their kids - not much.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2007, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Eynstyn View Post
Please don't 'Woof' at me unless you like being bannished to the Dog House.
'banished' has one 'n', Einstein.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
The problem with this device is that parents are already not paying any attention to their kids - they just want them to be happy and not bothering them. This makes it easier for parents to pay less attention. Ask a few teachers how much parents pay attention to their kids - not much.
Proof? Do you have kids? It's not easy figuring it out at first.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Proof? Do you have kids? It's not easy figuring it out at first.
I have two kids.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2007, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
I have two kids.
So why aren't you paying attention to them now?

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2007, 05:38 AM

'banished' has one 'n', Einstein.
What? Not even a wink at the perfect set-up I intentionally left you? (Which you admirably hit for a solid double to left center field. )

Roof!

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2007, 05:42 AM

So why aren't you paying attention to them now?
That's a cheap shot and all for the sake of trying to win a point. Come on, lighten up.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2007, 11:36 AM

That's a cheap shot and all for the sake of trying to win a point. Come on, lighten up.
Am I wrong? There seems to be a lot of double-standard BS going on here. Oh, we can use modern technology for A, B, and C, but not D, E, F.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 22, 2007, 01:22 PM

Jeez, you guys are freaking out. I think you should get rid of your automated baby rockers also, afterall, that removes bonding time from holding your larva and shaking it back and forth for hours in an effort to get it to fall asleep.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2007, 01:33 PM

^^ What Rob said.

In fact, let's get rid of TVs, too.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2007, 02:44 PM

Am I wrong? There seems to be a lot of double-standard BS going on here. Oh, we can use modern technology for A, B, and C, but not D, E, F.
We aren't anti-technology or else we'd ALL be getting poked here and now.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Jeez, you guys are freaking out. I think you should get rid of your automated baby rockers also, afterall, that removes bonding time from holding your larva and shaking it back and forth for hours in an effort to get it to fall asleep.
I'll bet you can't say that after you read this.

Getting to Know Your Baby - Lucile Packard Children's Hospital

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2007, 02:49 PM

^^ What Rob said.

Well, now that you mention it...

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 22, 2007, 07:11 PM

^^ What Rob said.

Good point. All of you with slightly older maggots, please never let them watch TV. Instead, have them spend every waking second in your proximity conversing and interacting souly with you. Any TV time spent watching Rainbow Bright or whatever it is the kids watch these days is precious time that the parents could spend getting to know the child, instead of just treating it like a pet.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 22, 2007, 07:12 PM

I'll bet you can't say that after you read this.

Getting to Know Your Baby - Lucile Packard Children's Hospital
I just read it.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2007, 09:15 PM

I just read it.

Your usual perspective and good judgment is not reflected in your position on this matter. I'm surprised.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2007, 09:52 PM

Good point. All of you with slightly older maggots, please never let them watch TV. Instead, have them spend every waking second in your proximity conversing and interacting souly with you. Any TV time spent watching Rainbow Bright or whatever it is the kids watch these days is precious time that the parents could spend getting to know the child, instead of just treating it like a pet.
What did children and parents do for thousands of years until now? They raised and maintained strong families which allowed for the creation of cultures and societies and perpetuated them to hand over to us. And in the span of three generations we have unleashed untold forces upon society (ideas, inventions, cultural fashions, and so on) which strain the family in ways it has never been.

The trend has been to spend less time with children rather than enough time (a parent in tune with their kids can define what enough is) and the proof of this is seen in the rise of young people who want to do something, almost anything, to be noticed and to gain the attention of their parents (who may be too busy to spend 'quality' time with the child when he's doing something good, but is FORCED to pay attention to junior when he acts out and gets in trouble at school or with the law or underachieves or makes the news in some other way). We all know people who are drama queens and who act up and out just to get people to notice them. They wear you out.

And what led to this?

Parents who were too busy doing other things that were more important. Harry Chapin's Cat's in the Cradle comes to mind.

Of course this device can be a real aid to parents. Certainly it's good to quickly take care of a child's needs.

But what is missing with this device is the holistic, organic, time intensive process of getting to KNOW your child, a process this device doesn't help achieve, and the time intensive process when the child gets to know the PARENT.

You can use the child swing all you want but when that doesn't stop the baby's 'annoying crying' the last thing you should do is to turn on some remote control automated gizmo that learns your baby's cries better than you but provides the child nothing in return.

Automate the rest of your life, if you will, even get a remote control gadget to make sure the Mrs. is romantically satisfied (until she files for divorce or starts cheating on you) but give your child your time. Although if the father needs such convincing to do what should come naturally, maybe a child is better off without his spending time with his offspring. We wouldn't want what he's got to rub off on the defenseless tyke.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2007, 10:03 PM

Bullshit.

Let's ban breast pumps too.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 22, 2007, 10:13 PM

Bullshit.

AHhahaha. Exactly. The mouth to nipple contact is important for bonding.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2007, 10:25 PM

Bullshit.

AHhahaha.

Exactly. The mouth to nipple contact is important for bonding.
Good luck to both of you and your families.

And especially good luck to society if this device catches on.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 22, 2007, 11:02 PM

Look man, I'm not saying that bonding isn't important, I'm saying this baby monitor with enhanced features does not equal this:

If they made something like this for dogs, would I have bought one? Sure, depending on the price. It would have been nie when I first got my puppy to know what she wanted. This is no different than reading a book on parenting.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2007, 11:12 PM

Well Eynstyn I have to say that you are pretty bonkers in this area. This device would help you get to know your kid better without as much of the the stress that usually accompanies the first year of the kid's life.

I asked my wife what her oppinion was about this thing (without telling her mine first) and she wholeheartedly loved the idea of it. Instead of spending a couple hours every day trying to figure out what you baby needs this thing could help you figure it out much more quickly and spend those hours in a way that the both the baby and you could enjoy. Once you have grown to understand what the crying means (through the help of this device) you can then get rid of it and interact with your child in a healthier way than you previously could.

You think that your baby is "bonding" to you as it screams for 20 minutes and you can't figure out what it wants? That is not quality time in any respect. As the article that you linked to said, some mothers bond instantly with their child, some take longer. Things like nursing, talking, rocking, and touching are what creates the bond for the most part, not the crying part. The crying part distances you from your child, it does not bring you closer.

Good luck to you and your children also (which are probably watched and cared for exclusively by their mother, so how can you talk about this at all anyway?). Everyone has their own methods of raising and bonding with their children, their is no one size fits all method here.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2007, 01:28 AM

Good luck to both of you and your families.

And especially good luck to society if this device catches on.
Ah, yes, the rant of someone who thinks their holier than though.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2007, 09:10 AM

I'm not saying it, but I'm TOTALLY thinking it.

The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2007, 08:52 PM

I do not think this device is bad at all. It's existence seems to imply that there are certain similarities among the different "types of cries" that babies have. Just wondering if the ppl who criticize this device would be similarly opposed to an expecting parent being able to download a series of simulated baby cries for $.99 that might allow them to learn the differences before their baby is born in order to more quickly take care of his/her needs when he/she arrives?

Forum Links
Forum Rules