Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Doing a presentation tomorrow (on Apple TV)

Doing a presentation tomorrow (on Apple TV)
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2007, 08:08 PM

Tomorrow I'm going to be doing one of my first ever public presentations. I'm doing it on Apple TV. I'm a bit nervous. Maybe some of you guys who speak alot in public have some advice? I want my audience to be interested. It's gonna be hard because half of the guys in the audience will be M$ junkies. I'm using Keynote. I used the gradient theme with Myriad Roman font so it looks a bit like a Steve Jobs keynote. Thanks for any advice.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2007, 08:11 PM

A lot of people seem to get nervous when they make eye contact with the audience. In general, you can actually look past the audience to the wall at the far side of the room and it appears that you're looking at people. This, of course, depends on the size and layout of the room.

In general, just relax - no one is expecting perfection.

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2007, 08:19 PM

You knew this was coming before today. So any real aid you might have gotten here would be too much/little too late.

Lottsa luck.

Atomic Rooster
Mar 1, 2007, 08:26 PM

Make sure your fly is zipped up.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Eynstyn View Post
You knew this was coming before today. So any real aid you might have gotten here would be too much/little too late.

Lottsa luck.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2007, 08:48 PM

Convince yourself you know the subject well and you'll be able to speak fluidly and confidently on it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

zerostar
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2007, 08:51 PM

Picture yourself nekkid. Or maybe your supposed to picture them nekkid. Hmm, perhaps just picture everyone nekkid unless there are some fugly people up front.

Atomic Rooster
Mar 1, 2007, 08:54 PM

Start off with a Microsoft/penis joke.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2007, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Eynstyn View Post

Lottsa luck.
Yeah but I just decided to make a thread today. I'm prepared. It's not going to be my last presentation, I've got 9 more to do. So any advice given today will be used in the future.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2007, 10:16 PM

You're totally screwed.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

alligator
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2007, 10:31 PM

You know the material backwards and forwards, right? If not, study now. Then get up there, speak with confidence, and speak like you're talking to a good friend. People are naturally impressed with those who are confident. Appear shaky and the audience will question your authority or lose interest. Speak like you know what you're talking about, and people will follow your every word.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2007, 10:36 PM

But how can he really know anything about the Apple TV since he hasn't been able to really use it? All the source material is stuff from Apple's site, so it's really just a commercial.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2007, 10:53 PM

Present the Apple TV you *hope* Apple releases. Facts be damned.

And whenever you say "wireless", wave your arms around a lot.

Edit: Or dance around like a monkey, scream, and sweat profusely, like Ballmer. Maybe the M$ guys will pay attention to you then.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2007, 11:05 PM

seriously...think of how easy steve does it...confidence...knowing what you know will--if you will--"wow!" them

good luck

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2007, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
You're totally screwed.
That's helpful. If you don't have anything constructive to say, why not just keep your comments to yourself?

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2007, 11:10 PM

Presntations in my opinion are easier than speaking up in class to make a comment. I turn 10 shades of red then and hate it. Assume you are smarter than your audience and try a little entertainment as well.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2007, 11:13 PM

Just relax. That's the most important thing. If you known the material, you will do fine. Your slides are an "aid" in your presentation so don't just read from them. They are only there to provide a visual representation of what you are saying. You need to known what's coming next so you can provide a good lead in to the next slide. If it looks like you are waiting to see what's next before you talk about it, it will seem like you are not prepared.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2007, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
That's helpful. If you don't have anything constructive to say, why not just keep your comments to yourself?
I think he was making fun of Eynstyn's post.

You need to use the word 'Boom' a lot.

mindwaves
Mar 1, 2007, 11:56 PM

Wear a black turtleneck and jeans.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2007, 12:23 AM

Restrain yourself from using every transition that Keynote offers... Use them extremely sparingly.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2007, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post

You need to use the word 'Boom' a lot.
Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Wear a black turtleneck and jeans.
And be sure to cough and drink water at regular intervals.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2007, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Restrain yourself from using every transition that Keynote offers... Use them extremely sparingly.
I only used the cube transition on 3 slides. I've done did the presentation now. It went quite well. Thanks for all advice. And I did use "Boom!".

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2007, 04:43 PM

I hope you didn't say anything remotely close to "I've done did" during your presentation. Holy frakking crap.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2007, 05:15 PM

Jeeze just cause I aint't been edumacated. No I didn't say anything like I've done did.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2007, 06:40 PM

I would start off with the "Developers!!! Developers!!! Developers!!!!" video rant from Ballmer, and then start is with some great graphs.

You should also like your presentation. If you don't, change it.

Final note: NEVER READ FROM A PRESENTATION!!!!!!!!!!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2007, 06:43 PM

Never read from note cards, like the Cingular/AT&T dude did at the MWSF Keynote this year. That was just painful to watch.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2007, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
I hope you didn't say anything remotely close to "I've done did" during your presentation. Holy frakking crap.
Another quality, helpful post. Do you mean to come across as a complete jerk in your posts?

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2007, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Never read from note cards, like the Cingular/AT&T dude did at the MWSF Keynote this year. That was just painful to watch.
Yeah that was annoying. I made the speech without any notes at all. I pretty much had everything memorized. It was pretty easy actually. I thought that I would forget a bunch of stuff but I didn't.

Forum Links
Forum Rules