Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > question about booting

question about booting
imactheknife
Sep 26, 2003, 11:07 PM

I have a dual 800 G4 that I upgraded with a bigger Hardrive etc..okay this is the question...I have a 60 gig HD with OSX 10.2.8 on it on the internal logic board IDE port...when I turn the computer on in the morning I get the grey Apple logo..then the circle (brick things) and it boots to the desktop...I wanted a faster HD so I installed a 120 gig Maxtor HD with 8 meg cache..I also installed a Sonnet tempo ATA 133 card...I now boot off that harddrive, but when I turn the computer on in the morning it sit's there at the Apple loge for like 2-5 minutes..then it boots to the desktop and it's fast...but why does it take so long to boot at the beginning? thats my LONG WINDED QUESTION! sorry for that! TIA...Mark

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2003, 11:36 PM

When you shut down at the end of the day, do you choose Shut Down from the Apple menu, or do you just kill the power? If you're just pulling the power, that will make the machine verify the disk at the next startup.

On another note, I recommend never shutting the machine down. Just put it to sleep.

Chris

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 12:31 AM

I have a SIIG ata133 card that I ended up pulling because I got tired of the long boot times.

imactheknife  (op)
Sep 27, 2003, 11:01 AM

thanks for the info! okay 2 questions:

Does the 133 card make a big difference over the onboard ATA /66 IDE port?

If it doesn't should I just pull the card and use the onboard IDE port?

and I never shut down the hardway! thank god for OSX and stability..OS9 I would say quite oftan shut down the hardway..system freeze etc!

Forum Links
Forum Rules