Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Which is better as an external storage devie?

Which is better as an external storage devie?
wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 12:04 PM

I am thinking of getting a 250 gb HDD with an enclosure for my storage. ATA HDD seem to have a higher buffer (16mb) than IDE HDD (8mb). Any opinion on that difference
It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

osxisfun
Sep 12, 2005, 12:07 PM

be careful. see my thread below. there may be power issues with 250 gigs and fw enclosures. i am not 100% sure though. still trying to figure it out.

outsourced
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2005, 01:16 PM

What thread below? Inquiring minds would like to know. (Crap. I rhymed without reason.)
Did Schroedinger's cat think outside the box?

ogun
Sep 12, 2005, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by wubrew
I am thinking of getting a 250 gb HDD with an enclosure for my storage. ATA HDD seem to have a higher buffer (16mb) than IDE HDD (8mb). Any opinion on that difference
Be careful about which enclosure you get, some of the cheaper ones have VERY LOUD FANS. You usually only find out about that when you get it home and plug it in. Also, even at this late date there are vendors trying to unload enclosures which contain older ATA chipsets which cannot read more than 128 GB. Read the fine print on the box really carefully before opening.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2005, 06:58 PM

ATA and IDE basically mean the same thing when dealing with hard disks. Did you mean Serial ATA? Even so, the buffer depends on the drive and not the interface.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by wubrew
I am using a Lacie 250Gb external Firewire 800/400 drive to boot from, it is quiet, cool and no problems at all so far.

Forum Links
Forum Rules