Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > CD-RW vs Firewire Drives for video?

CD-RW vs Firewire Drives for video?
tjcrebs
May 1, 2000, 12:19 AM

I have Pismo-400 with a half-full 6-gig hard-drive, but my iMovie projects are filling it up prettty fast.

Any recommendations for adding more storage--I was thinking the new Firewire external drives would be great, but are they fast enough for editting iMovie (and maybe FCP later)?

Or is a CD burner a better way to store my video projects. All comments appreciated.

Man, video really eats up RAM and storage.

Thanx in Advance, T.

sblunden
May 1, 2000, 10:13 AM

firewire drives are fast enought for DV, including iMovie and FCP. At MWNY last summer Apple Reps did a FCP seminar and they were using a Wallstreet 300mhz with a Firewire card and the small VST FW drives and everything worked for them.

I think it would be difficult to use a CDR for DV considering they only hold 650MB of space and that can only hold about 3 minutes of DV.

I have never used a CDR for DV. I was wondering how it would complicate editing from a locked Disc. i guess your edits would just reference the CD. I am also interest if anyone has tried this to see how it works.

While expensive i would say a Firewire drive is a better option than CDR.

------------------
- s p e n c e r
- s p e n c e r

Forum Links
Forum Rules