Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > My kingdom for a shortcut for any app's preferences!

My kingdom for a shortcut for any app's preferences!
lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2002, 11:24 PM

I am desperate for a keyboard shortcut that will open the selected app's preferences. Keyboard Maestro has a way to select a menu item, but there doesn't seem to be a way to specify the application menu (because it obviously has a different name for each app). Does anyone have a solution?

IamBob
Senior User
Sep 16, 2002, 11:36 PM

If the app(s) in question are Cocoa you can open the .nib file (after backing it up of course) and add yourself a shortcut pretty easily.

I think I recall seeing a hint on macosxhints about adding shortcuts pre 10.2. Maybe a search would yeild something..?

I really wish Apple would've just picked a shortcut for prefs and made every app use it.

lavar78  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2002, 12:26 AM

Thanks. For anyone lazier than I, here is the link to the hint.

Unfortunately, this solution only works for Cocoa apps.

Ibson
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2002, 12:37 AM

Just FYI, the shortcut according to the Apple HIG is Command-, (comma). I always liked Cmd-; but it seems this was taken over by the spell checker in Cocoa.

Forum Links
Forum Rules