Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My G5 can't calculate right....

My G5 can't calculate right....
alligator
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 03:11 PM

I'm using the calculator on my G5, and I subtracted 87.376-87.143 and it returns a value of 0.2330000000000041.

Why? A bug in the G5 chip?

Thinine
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 03:16 PM

No, just the precision (or lack thereof) of Apple's calculator.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 11, 2003, 03:26 PM

Just floating point precision error.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2003, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
Try deviding by zero, see if your CPU bursts into a puff of smoke.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2003, 02:12 AM

Are you using X.2? I had these errors in X.2, but they seem to be fixed in Panther.

I had a similar thread way back when, but I can no longer replicate these errors in X.3.

And for the record: 87.376 - 87.143 = 0.233 in Panther.

Actually, the calculator now gives an answer of "Infinity". Cool.

sideus
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:

:XI:
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
Are you using X.2? I had these errors in X.2, but they seem to be fixed in Panther.

I had a similar thread way back when, but I can no longer replicate these errors in X.3.

And for the record: 87.376 - 87.143 = 0.233 in Panther.

Actually, the calculator now gives an answer of "Infinity". Cool.
87.376 - 87.143 = 0.233 in 10.2.8 on a G4

Divide by zero also gives 'Inf'

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2003, 08:57 AM

I get what appears to be the correct answer when the calculator is in "basic" mode, but the roundoff error is visible in "advanced" mode. Weird. G4/867 with 10.2.8.

Originally posted by :XI::
87.376 - 87.143 = 0.233 in 10.2.8 on a G4

Divide by zero also gives 'Inf'

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 12, 2003, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by Boochie:
I get what appears to be the correct answer when the calculator is in "basic" mode, but the roundoff error is visible in "advanced" mode. Weird. G4/867 with 10.2.8.
In Panther in basic mode there isn't a problem either.

cambro
Senior User
Oct 12, 2003, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
Yup, what he said.

You all know that floating pt. number addition/subtraction posses some interesting problems in a binary system, right? It is impossible to do without very small error.

That said, Apple shouldn't let you see this in the Calc. App. But somehow I don't think this is a deal breaker for very many users

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2003, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by Boochie:
The error is also displayed when "paper tape" is visible (at least on this G4, 10.2.8 vers 2; I'll check my G5 when I get home, but I'm sure it's there). This "bug" has been around since 10.2.0 (and perhaps 10.1 I'm thinking). It's a round-off error in Calculator.app. I've seen freeware calc apps for the PC do this kind of thing, too.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 05:48 PM

I seem to recall a huge uproar when the Pentium III chip had flaws and couldn't calculate right. Why is this glossed over from Apple? To me this is completely unacceptable by today's standards. Sure, it might fly in 1975, but this is 2003. Come on, how am I supposed to calculate Pi to 10 trillion decimal places when the first 8 numbers are messed up??????

HodyOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by alligator:
I seem to recall a huge uproar when the Pentium III chip had flaws and couldn't calculate right. Why is this glossed over from Apple? To me this is completely unacceptable by today's standards. Sure, it might fly in 1975, but this is 2003. Come on, how am I supposed to calculate Pi to 10 trillion decimal places when the first 8 numbers are messed up??????
Because Apple's error is an algorithmic software error while the pentium error was a hardware error.

If you want to calculate Pi to 10 trillion decimal places get Mathematica.

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 10:58 PM

Has nothing to do with the chip.

Take a few CS courses, learn about how floating point arithmetic works, and come back and chat with us.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2003, 09:37 AM

Sure, it might fly in 1975, but this is 2003.
Apple shouldn't let you see this in the Calc. App.
I will point out once more that the algorithm has already been updated in Panther's Calculator.

lacrymology
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 10:03 AM

I am not aware of PIII calculation bugs (there was a boot bug), but perhaps you are refering to the famous Pentium f00f bug that would instantly crash the system, regardless of OS? That is a far more serious issue than a typical floating point precision error.
-m

Mattmac21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 10:19 AM

I'm using the calculator on my G5, and I subtracted 87.376-87.143 and it returns a value of 0.2330000000000041.

Why? A bug in the G5 chip?

87.376-87.143 = .233 on a my machine; 1.8Ghz G5

HodyOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by lacrymology:
I am not aware of PIII calculation bugs (there was a boot bug), but perhaps you are refering to the famous Pentium f00f bug that would instantly crash the system, regardless of OS? That is a far more serious issue than a typical floating point precision error.
-m
The Pentium bug that caused an uproar in the early '90's was a calculation error - it would not crash the system. To most people, this is FAR more serious than a crashing bug. With a crashing bug at least you know that something is wrong. The calculation bug would cause programs to merrily go on their way producing incorrect values. There's really no comparison.

ZildjianKX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by piracy:
Has nothing to do with the chip.

Take a few CS courses, learn about how floating point arithmetic works, and come back and chat with us.
Take some computer engineering courses and come back and talk to us... not all errors or programming related.

An Intel Engineer left 5 spaces blank in their SRT division table... so when any of those places were used for a division, it returned zero. Cost intel about 1 billion to replace all those chips...

lacrymology
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by HodyOne:
The Pentium bug that caused an uproar in the early '90's was a calculation error - it would not crash the system. To most people, this is FAR more serious than a crashing bug. With a crashing bug at least you know that something is wrong. The calculation bug would cause programs to merrily go on their way producing incorrect values. There's really no comparison.
The bug I was refering to was:

http://x86.ddj.com/errata/dec97/f00fbug.htm

-m

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2003, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by ZildjianKX:
Take some computer engineering courses and come back and talk to us... not all errors or programming related.

An Intel Engineer left 5 spaces blank in their SRT division table... so when any of those places were used for a division, it returned zero. Cost intel about 1 billion to replace all those chips...
He was referring to the issue with Calculator, which is a software one, and it has already been corrected. And apparently, if you used other software with the G5/G4, it was not an issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules