Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > apple loan or other financing plans?

apple loan or other financing plans?
drloomis
Oct 21, 2003, 06:04 PM

Anyone ever use the apple loan to finance a purchase?

I was thinking of doing to this, to get a better system than I can afford right now.

Can I pay for some of the computer now and just get the loan for the amount I need?

Or do you need to get a loan on the total purchase?

thank you.
--------------------
I shot him six times!

limerick1913
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2003, 07:07 PM

You can't use an Apple Loan for partial payments. You have to use it for your entire purchase. Apple doesn't accept more than one form of payment per purchase.

Originally posted by drloomis:
Anyone ever use the apple loan to finance a purchase?

I was thinking of doing to this, to get a better system than I can afford right now.

Can I pay for some of the computer now and just get the loan for the amount I need?

Or do you need to get a loan on the total purchase?

thank you.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 07:19 PM

I got the Apple Loan and used it to purchase a PowerBook at MacZone (same price at Apple but no tax, cheaper overnight shipping, free RAM deal, etc).

Yose
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 07:54 PM

I took out an Apple Loan only for the 180 day deferred interest option. Between osap, working and gift money I'll have enough to pay the balance off within 6 months�beyond that I think it's insane to get an Apple Loan� especially when interest rates are so low here ATM (5.something compared to the 19.99% Apple/MNBA Canada gave me).

Be careful!
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 10:22 PM

My rate is 14.99%, kind of high but not bad since I was able to afford a $3,500 computer.

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2003, 10:33 PM

The best financing you can do is thru Best Buy or CompUSA. With either of those stores, you can get their credit card and then wait for them to run a special where they offer 18 or 24 months no financing. Then you figure out how much to pay per month so you don't have to pay finance charges. If you have a chunk of money you can pay now, you can just use that for your first payment.

Just make sure you will be able to pay off the balance before the promotional period runs out, because the finance charges are very expensive.

-b

nod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2003, 11:48 PM

I was able to use the apple loan for partial payment. (I payed check for the rest.)

If they didn't have have 6mos/no-interest deal I would have never done it. The interest rate they are charging is INSANELY HIGH -- even if you have an excellent credit rating, it's still unbelieveably high.

lacrymology
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2003, 08:39 AM

I've used the apple loan in the past. It's not bad (although the rates are 2x that of what I can get with my new bank). The process from application to approval is quick and painless.

I think at the moment you pay no interest until 2004 with an Apple Loan.

-m

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by lacrymology:

I think at the moment you pay no interest until 2004 with an Apple Loan.

-m
I thought that too, but I can't find any reference to a same-as-cash (no interest) loan. Am I missing something, or did Apple expire the offer?

Forum Links
Forum Rules