Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > News for minimalists

News for minimalists
Slayer-X
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2003, 08:30 PM

I am going about recoloring the original Aqua elements to different shades for those of us who prefer to just have Aqua but with more than just Graphite or Blue appearances. Current Lineup:

Strawberry (Pink)
Lime (Green)
Grape (Purple)
Tangerine (Orange)
Ruby (Red)
Bondi (Teal)
Goldenrod (Yellow)

Any other color schemes you all would like to see? Just post here any additional color schemes you would like and I will add them to my "Alternate Aqua" set.

vipe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2003, 08:46 PM

I know that there was a post on Mac/ about some people wanting having default aqua colour variations.

I think it would be nice if something similiar was implemented in ThemePark or a third-party app developed to do this.

cmove
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2003, 09:41 PM

olive ?

JellyBeen
Senior User
Nov 29, 2003, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by Slayer-X:
I am going about recoloring the original Aqua elements to different shades for those of us who prefer to just have Aqua but with more than just Graphite or Blue appearances. Current Lineup:

Strawberry (Pink)
Lime (Green)
Grape (Purple)
Tangerine (Orange)
Ruby (Red)
Bondi (Teal)
Goldenrod (Yellow)

Any other color schemes you all would like to see? Just post here any additional color schemes you would like and I will add them to my "Alternate Aqua" set.
This is a great idea, I love aqua too and any color variations would be welcome. Thanks for implementing it.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

Mike S.
Senior User
Nov 30, 2003, 12:37 AM

Onyx (Black)

quandarry
Nov 30, 2003, 12:42 AM

wuzzup?
( Last edited by quandarry; Nov 30, 2003 at 03:13 AM. )

Slayer-X  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 12:44 AM

Ok here is version 1 of the Alternate Aqua set. It includes everything I got done today - which is Strawberry, Grape, and Bondi variations.

They are all part of a Shapeshifter guiKit format.

download link: Alternate Aqua v1

Preview Pics:

Tangerine, Lime, and Ruby will be in the 2nd version. Goldenrod, Olive/Sage, and Onyx will be in the 3rd version.

And note to quandarry - Fruit Cocktail has not been updated in a long time, and quite honestly I find the patterns and backgrounds and menu highlights used to be atrocious. The idea behind my little project here is to make color varaitions of Aqua without changing any design elements at all but simply changing the blue to a different color.

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2003, 01:40 AM

black and a non aqua blue? either navy or a dull blue like watercolor.

Mike S.
Senior User
Nov 30, 2003, 01:59 AM

Neat.

Is it just me or are the widget colors in your screens all confused?

Bondi appears to have Strawberry's widgets, Grape looks to have Bondi's and Strawberry appears to have Grape's.

Then again, maybe it's a design decision.

Just wondering, do they all match up to one color in Graphite mode? If not, that would be nice IMO.

I know one guy at another board who'd love a "borg green" aqua variation. Don't know if he just means highlights or more than that.

Looks nice, I've always liked Aqua but wished for simple highlight changes so thanks for making them.

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2003, 02:53 AM

i think this is a great idea, but i think you should use all same color widgets.

BTW, i think silver would be nice too.

Slayer-X  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 10:35 AM

Actually, I did use the same color widgets in each variation. IE Strawberry has pink widgets, Grape has purple, etc. I just was kinda lazy when it came to making my little Preview pictures. *whistles innocently* I simply hue shifted a random Aqua Restore theme's preview picture. I'll make my own soon. But definitely, the widgets are not those funky color combos in the previews.

I almost got Tangerine done. :O Expect the second Version by the end of the day EST.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 12:02 PM

Actually, I did use the same color widgets in each variation. IE Strawberry has pink widgets, Grape has purple, etc. I just was kinda lazy when it came to making my little Preview pictures. *whistles innocently* I simply hue shifted a random Aqua Restore theme's preview picture. I'll make my own soon. But definitely, the widgets are not those funky color combos in the previews.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Slayer-X  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 01:16 PM

Version 2.0 is now available. In addition to the Srawberry, Grape, and Bondi variations, this one adds the Ruby, Lime, and Tangerine variations.

Download Link: Alternate Aqua v2

I will be taking a break before working on any more variations. If I have to recolor those god-awful tab bars and popup buttons one more friggin time I swear to everything Mac that I will scream.

Jazzphone
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 09:31 PM

fix the light widgets at the top left, and have them be a same as a theme with no variation, it just doesnt match.

Jazzphone
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 09:35 PM

my bad, sorry actually after trying it, i see the lights are done correctly. Great theme

Slayer-X  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Jazzphone:
my bad, sorry actually after trying it, i see the lights are done correctly. Great theme
See my reply a few posts up regarding the funky colored widgets. I call it too lazy to make own preview pics. lol. hehehe

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2003, 12:25 AM

pink highlights with pink aqua blobs on the titles and pink buttons etc, pink pink pink. Actually make that two pinks one neon pink and one light pink you can never have too much pink its the new black

mproud
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2003, 12:28 AM

Perhaps I'm just a stubborn old traditionalist... but I would much rather prefer a theme that JUST has the aqua color changed. Keep the close, minimize, and resize buttons the same color.

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2003, 12:30 AM

I vote for light pink! That would be awesome.

1c3
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2003, 04:27 PM

nice
Mighty3k @ #MacNN

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2003, 08:01 PM

Any thoughts of making a smooth version?
Just asking. I like them though. Nice and simple.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2003, 08:04 PM

just so you know, these are cool! did you submit them to resecellenace.com?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2003, 08:46 PM

Cool idea, but I really wish Apple would add something similar to OS X themselves. I've been saying this since 10.1. I've send a few feedbacks. I'll send a few more. Apple even used to have the aqua buttons on some pages of their web site green and purple. A list of default settings, a color picker for widgets/tabs/buttons.... I want an Appearance system pane overhaul, Apple!

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2003, 01:09 AM

i dont know how skilled you are with themeing but if you could take aqua and "finish" it.. make all the bubbles inset like the finder toolbar, and make some basic colors like black silver and blue i would use this theme a ton.

mproud
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2003, 04:01 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Cool idea, but I really wish Apple would add something similar to OS X themselves. I've been saying this since 10.1. I've send a few feedbacks. I'll send a few more. Apple even used to have the aqua buttons on some pages of their web site green and purple. A list of default settings, a color picker for widgets/tabs/buttons.... I want an Appearance system pane overhaul, Apple!
Absolutely. That's what I want to.

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2003, 04:02 AM

Version 2.0 is now available. In addition to the Srawberry, Grape, and Bondi variations, this one adds the Ruby, Lime, and Tangerine variations.

Download Link: Alternate Aqua v2

I will be taking a break before working on any more variations. If I have to recolor those god-awful tab bars and popup buttons one more friggin time I swear to everything Mac that I will scream.
umm one question from a guy who knows nothing about mods.....how do i use these files ive now downloaded?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2003, 08:11 AM

To the poster above me.... you have to download ShapeShifter from unsanity.com to use GUIkits.

And to the maker of this theme kit. I love it. I think you should ask Max if you can modify SmoothStripes also because you've fixed the biggest problem with Aqua (That sickening plastic blue everywhere) and he's fixed the other problem (the stupid stripes and mismatched widgets). If you colorized his theme you'd have something that almost everyone could agree looks great! It might finally kill off theming forever!

P.S. Why did you go to all that work fixing all the elements of all the themes perfectly and then put previewimages with mismatched widgets that make it look like you did a bad hack job?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Slayer-X  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2003, 10:43 AM

I think I may finish out this theme kit with the yellow variation and then I might look into obtaining Max's permission to make color variants of Smoothstripes. I did actually make a pink version of SS Gloss for personal use but as I don't have Max's permission I can't share it. But I would kind of like to put some of my themeing efforts into finishing Strawberry iMac, and then I would like to start working on my own original theme, to show that I can hopefully pull off more than just hue shifts and ports (moreso to myself than to everyone else lol)

Also in the next version I will have accurate preview images.

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2003, 11:46 AM

You can post a modded version of one (or more) of Max's themes in his forums on his site.

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Dec 2, 2003, 12:15 PM

Nobody has done an Aqua variant of silver! ...Call it Panther

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2003, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by drnkn_stylz:
Nobody has done an Aqua variant of silver! ...Call it Panther
What about Milk by Max? http://homepage.mac.com/max_08/

Also as far as smooth stripes goes, you can make you own smooth stripes by editing that image in ThemePark. You shouldn't need permission unless you are actually going to modify Max's file.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Dec 2, 2003, 02:05 PM

Smoothed stripes you can make as much as you want, but I want to be asked before anyone uses my improved aqua elements.
Not accusing anyone, just informing

I know many people would like to see color variations of SS/AE, I feel I have better things to do though so I would definitely let Slayer-X make some - just contact me first.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2003, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by Twister:
Also as far as smooth stripes goes, you can make you own smooth stripes by editing that image in ThemePark. You shouldn't need permission unless you are actually going to modify Max's file.
Yeah, I think that Slayer should actually use Max's file since he has fixed so many other things in Aqua other than just the stripes. Max's Smooth Stripes with Slayer's color sense would be the definitive Aqua Mod and then she and Max and everyone else can move on with totally new themes, knowing that Aqua has been perfected as much as it ever will be! It's a good thing! Do it Slayer! Get the official permission and go for it! (and share your secret of how you shift the colors so well and so fast and so completely.... that would take me a month to do all those variations. )

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Forum Links
Forum Rules