Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > How do I make a stereo .dv, mono ?

How do I make a stereo .dv, mono ?
darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2004, 03:13 PM

I made an hour long creation in iMovie and dumped it to full quality DV. I've just noticed that my source footage was all one sided stereo (plays out of one speaker) and I'm looking to making the whole DV file mono to fix it.

Is there an easy way to do this within iMovie or do I need another application?

What software do I need to achieve this? I've got the pro version of Quicktime 6.4, would that help?

Thanks in advance for your experience/insights.
( Last edited by darcybaston; Apr 19, 2004 at 03:21 PM. )

Mark E
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2004, 08:17 PM

i dont know if you'd have any sort of sampling problems making it mono.

here's what i'd do..

1. save/extract your existing audio to a seperate AIFF file.

2. open up the AIFF in an audio editor.

3. copy the left channel, and paste it into the blank right channel, so your source is now 2-channelled.

4. save the AIFF, and re-import it into imovie, making sure you remove your original mono audio.

-Mark

in case of accidental ingestion, consult a mortician.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2004, 08:24 PM

that's not really necessary, just export your audio in QTPro to aiff and choose mono. It will merge both channels (which in your case would be the one good channel and the one silent channel). You can still use an audio editor to boost the gain though, if you think one channel's worth of volume isn't enough

darcybaston  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2004, 09:04 AM

Thanks guys, great advice. I ended up solving it but with more complexity then I should have heh.

I loaded the whole DV into a trial version of Peak, did the "Stereo to Mono" menu command, saved the audio (separately since it kept spewing out errors if I tried to save it inline into the original DV) and then went to the original DV file with Quicktime, stripped the audio out and pasted the new mono audio in.

Next time, I'll just do the QT export to mono aiff and then load it back in. That's a great idea!

Just a FYI, 38 minutes of DV from iMovie was 7.8 Gigabytes. The mono AIFF from that was only 213 Megabytes. It was much quicker to to just work with the movie's audio from QT than it was from Peak.

Forum Links
Forum Rules