Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Java and Mac OS X 10.3

Java and Mac OS X 10.3
darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2004, 07:12 PM

I've got OS X 10.3.3 and the dev CD that came with the computer. Does this mean that I have a 1.4 Java SDK at my disposal or do I have to download anything additional from Sun?

And if I do, can I buy any Java 2 or J2EE book and my iBook is ok to help get started learning Java 2? The code examples will work if I type them in the dev tool project builder thing?

If anyone has a preference for what book to buy, I'd be glad to hear it.

depolitic
May 18, 2004, 08:44 PM

Java SDK comes with Mac OS X by default. You do not need to install anything, Java is auto updated from the Software Update application in the preference pane.

You can use XCode to do Java but it is limited, but if you are just starting it is fine. However it is best to start in the Terminal with javac and java commands, keeps everything dead simple, then move from their.

As for a good book, I have read many and would say the best is "Head First Java" by O'Reilly, great style and easy to follow, especially if you do not have previous programming experience.

Enjoy.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
May 18, 2004, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by darcybaston:
I've got OS X 10.3.3 and the dev CD that came with the computer. Does this mean that I have a 1.4 Java SDK at my disposal or do I have to download anything additional from Sun?

And if I do, can I buy any Java 2 or J2EE book and my iBook is ok to help get started learning Java 2? The code examples will work if I type them in the dev tool project builder thing?

If anyone has a preference for what book to buy, I'd be glad to hear it.
You should download the Java 1.42 SDK from developer.apple.com -- it's free.

And yes, you can just write java code on OSX. I do it all day long.

If you're looking to learn java, you need to learn J2SE before you tackle J2EE.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 18, 2004, 10:40 PM

Just to clarify....OS X always has and always will come with a complete JDK. You do not need to download or install anything, and Software Update will keep your JDK up to date with the latest official JDK for OS X.

Now, there are supplemental things like the developer tools package and the Java 1.4.2 Developer Package which contains headers, docs, demos, and tools.

Repeat, you do not need to download anything, but you may find some of the supplemental stuff useful. Personally, I don't (except the javadoc for the 1.4.2 APIs)
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

darcybaston  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2004, 11:26 PM

Great info guys! Thanks. I just noticed at the command line I can run java and javac. Awesome. Now to decide which book to get.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 12:13 AM

You don't really need a book, unless you like to spend money.

java.sun.com has all the documentation, and many, many, many examples of how to use practically every class and interface in the JDk and J2EE SDK as well as many other APIs.

I just happen to have a url that's one of my favorite illustrations:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutor.../deadlock.html

darcybaston  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2004, 09:03 AM

I don't like being dependent on an internet connection just to read something while working on my laptop.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 10:22 AM

There's this thing called 'Airport' it's really cool

Seriously though, for free, you could use a crawler to download all of the tutorials and you'd have them offline.

But, if you want to be a tree killer, then buy them:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/book.html

thefamousmred
May 19, 2004, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
There's this thing called 'Airport' it's really cool
I hear it even works in places that don't have internet access.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by thefamousmred:
I hear it even works in places that don't have internet access.
Why on earth would you go somewhere without internet access???

For that case:

johnMG
May 21, 2004, 09:02 AM

Personally, I like to have the book in dead-tree format, because it's useful for me to be able to highlight, make comments in the margins, tape in extra notes, etc.

Also, I like the new-book smell. ;)

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
May 21, 2004, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by johnMG:
Personally, I like to have the book in dead-tree format, because it's useful for me to be able to highlight, make comments in the margins, tape in extra notes, etc.

Also, I like the new-book smell.
The only two Java books I have are:

Core Java 2 Fundamentals Volume I

and

Mastering Enterprise JavaBeans

Once you understand the basics of the language (book 1 above), you spend most of your time looking for documentation on libraries. For that, I just use the javadoc in /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Resources/Documentation/Reference/doc/api/ on my local machine.

Book 2 above is handy if you need to learn EJB/J2EE, but otherwise it's overkill for the average Java developer.

darcybaston  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2004, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
[B]There's this thing called 'Airport' it's really cool
I'm in the sticks where phone lines can't even do 28.8kbaud! It's also a house phone line so I only get about an hour and a half of online time. Believe me, if I could have broadband with airport, I would.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
May 21, 2004, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by darcybaston:
I'm in the sticks where phone lines can't even do 28.8kbaud! It's also a house phone line so I only get about an hour and a half of online time. Believe me, if I could have broadband with airport, I would.
Not to be pedantic, but "28.8kbaud" is not a correct term. Baud is the number of times per second that the carrier signal shifts value - for example a 1200 bit/second modem actually runs at 300 baud, but it moves 4 bits per baud (4 x 300 = 1200 bits per second). 28.8Kbps is a more accurate representation of the data, since a 28.8Kbps modem is really running around 2900 baud.

darcybaston  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2004, 07:58 PM

True, but meaning wasn't lost. I can say fack aff and you'd still receive the message through the ability of your brain to fill gaps.

Internet Connect says I'm connected at 26400 bps.

I picked up the Core Java 2 Fundamentals volume 1 book today. It really is a nice book and looks to have all that I need. OS X comes with a great Java class browser and wonderful documentation in html that I'm really enjoying too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules