Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adium, dunno if this is an issue for others..

Adium, dunno if this is an issue for others..
IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
May 14, 2005, 11:13 AM

I've been using adium a bit lately, the latest vers. I've had several instances where people claim I didn't just IM them 10 times in the past 10 minutes. but I did. They didn't receive one IM, nada.

but on my end, it shows the IM as having gone thru.

on another note... besides the tabbed browsing and customizable interface, why do you all use Adium. or is that the only real reason. I find being able to drop a jpeg or a folder in the window and pressing send (iChat, AIM) to be quite useful.
ice

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2005, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
on another note... besides the tabbed browsing and customizable interface, why do you all use Adium. or is that the only real reason. I find being able to drop a jpeg or a folder in the window and pressing send (iChat, AIM) to be quite useful.
The customizable interface is huge for me, actually. I only have a 1024x768 display, so the ability to make my buddy list and IM windows more minimalistic really helps. I think Adium also uses less resources than the official AIM client (though I've never actually directly compared them--Adium just feels more responsive).

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 12:50 PM

adium is great. the customizability is probably the best part (since the message windows use WebKit, they can look like virtually anything). There's also the scripts and such, and the buddy list, and the multi-client capability. it's a great program.

I have had a couple of little issues with version .8, though. It sometimes forgets the 'show status window when away' setting, which makes it much harder to tell when you're away. I also wish that window stayed visible even when adium was inactive, so i could glance over and tell whether i'm away from any program (i have my PB hooked up to a second screen, so the internal screen is basically dedicated to adium.) also, seemingly only when i haven't used the computer in a while (like in the morning when i first get on), the status boxes won't show up when i hover over a contact. I have to switch back and forth between adium and another program a few times before they start working. On the whole, though, adium .8 is great. the file transfer window works perfectly (and was much-needed).

"I start fires!"

d.fine
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 02:42 PM

I use because of the customizable interface, make it as unobtrusive as possible.

I have not encoutered the issue you talk about, I have had issues around file-transfer, but otherwise I am very pleased with Adium...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2005, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by d.fine
I use because of the customizable interface, make it as unobtrusive as possible.

I have not encoutered the issue you talk about ... I am very pleased with Adium...
Same here.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 03:13 PM

I use Adium because it can easily set up AIM and MSN accounts, has very little window clutter, has a lot of neat customization options and is hands down the best IM client I have used.

Unless you want file transfer. Then it just fails.

I've used 0.8 and I have never had the same problem as you Ice Enclosure.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Mojo-ike
May 14, 2005, 03:26 PM

the absolute best reason for me: encryption.

the OTR integration is fantastic. and, of course, it works with the other OTR plugins for other chat clients on other platforms (GAIM, etc.).

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
I use Adium because it can easily set up AIM and MSN accounts, has very little window clutter, has a lot of neat customization options and is hands down the best IM client I have used.

Unless you want file transfer. Then it just fails.

I've used 0.8 and I have never had the same problem as you Ice Enclosure.

cheers

W-Y
File transfers were always implemented terribly up until version 0.8, but since then they've worked fine. Have you tried sending/receiving a file since 0.8 came out?

"I start fires!"

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
I've been using adium a bit lately, the latest vers. I've had several instances where people claim I didn't just IM them 10 times in the past 10 minutes. but I did. They didn't receive one IM, nada.

but on my end, it shows the IM as having gone thru.

hm that has always been my gripe. sometimes there is this LONG silence and i can't help but wonder if it is because of adium. i just can't go back to ichat or AIM after using adium. of course i hope it isn't true and the people i talk to just like to ignore me.
iamwhor3hay

piracy
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by MrForgetable
hm that has always been my gripe. sometimes there is this LONG silence and i can't help but wonder if it is because of adium. i just can't go back to ichat or AIM after using adium. of course i hope it isn't true and the people i talk to just like to ignore me.
Perhaps your name shouldn't be "MrForgetable", then.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3
File transfers were always implemented terribly up until version 0.8, but since then they've worked fine. Have you tried sending/receiving a file since 0.8 came out?
Yes, it isn't working very well for me. File transfer through MSN works most of the time while file transfer through AIM/iChat fails constantly.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Forum Links
Forum Rules