Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Fried Mac Pro

Fried Mac Pro
Xyrrus
Forum Regular
May 22, 2008, 06:24 PM

A month or two ago I bought one of those "bare drive" adaptors from frys and used it to back up some data. Well, two days ago I plugged it back into the front panel of my Mac Pro.

I immediately heard a loud pop, followed by a nice burning smell.

I yanked the power and let it sit for a second. I unplugged everything except the power cord and tried the front power button - the machine wouldn't turn on at all. Totally dead. Paperweight dead.

My poor mac is now sitting in the back room of the local apple store awaiting diagnosis, sans 1TB of software raided drives. Anyone want to speculate what the damage is going to be? Also, has anyone else had issues like this with USB devices?

For those curious, the adaptor in question is at amazon (although I got it from Frys) - the reviews are horrible (I've since added my 2c):

Amazon.com: Coolmax 15438 CD-350-COMBO Multifunctional Converter for 2.5/3.5/5.25 IDE/SATA Device: Electronics
MacPro (2.66, 4GB, 4x250GB, X1900+7300, 2x Dell 2005fpw, Samsung LNT4061)
MacBook Pro (2.2, 2GB, 120GB)

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2008, 01:03 PM

It could be, hopefully, that its just fried the front board. I'm not sure if the USB and the power buttons are all on the same board or not, but I'm sure Apple will work out whats up with it.

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 25, 2008, 01:49 AM

A lot of these SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 adapters are pretty cheaply made. I've found, that on the one I own, that the power cable goes in very easily UPSIDE DOWN. So, I've lost a drive drive myself and seen two other drives lost when letting other people use it. But the power shouldn't technically pass onto the computer through the USB... but anything is possible when build quality isn't very great.

Just like sean, my guess is that the front power board is fried and you just need a new front panel.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2008, 03:07 AM

Oh man, I'm so sorry for your loss! I hope you're able to get a repaired machine soon!

(Levity during your down-time: what dessert should be served with Fried Mac Pro?)
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
May 26, 2008, 08:26 AM

So something you bought at Fry's fried your Mac Pro.

Xyrrus  (op)
Forum Regular
May 27, 2008, 07:04 PM

For anyone curious, the issue ended up being a fried power supply. The techs at the apple store said it was "very uncommon" for a USB device to do this. Anyways, not as cheap as just the front board, but a lot less than what apple would charge me for a "logic board". The machine is back home and happily running again.
MacPro (2.66, 4GB, 4x250GB, X1900+7300, 2x Dell 2005fpw, Samsung LNT4061)
MacBook Pro (2.2, 2GB, 120GB)

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2008, 04:15 AM

I'm reminded of the old nosmoke.exe tech support urban legend.

Forum Links
Forum Rules