Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac noise - if any

iMac noise - if any
PeterGh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2008, 10:23 AM

Hi there

I am considering buying a 24" iMac, are there any issues regarding noise (fan noise, etc) that I should be aware of? Is there any noise difference between the 24" 2.8GHz, 320Gb HD, ATI Radeon 2600 Pro G.C, and the 24" 3.06GHz, 500Gb HD, with NVIDIA GeForce 8800 graphics card? Presumably the higher spec runs hotter.

If this topic has already been covered, could you direct me to the most recent thread?

Thank you

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2008, 11:20 AM

The 24" iMac has a reputation of running very quiet. The 3.06GHz model will run slightly hotter, but it's not reported to be louder. And of course when the CPUs idle they put out roughly the same amount of heat anyway. So if you want to sleep in the vicinity of your idling iMac there should be no difference ein terms of noise.

Cold Warrior
Jun 21, 2008, 11:28 AM

The ones I've been around have always been very quiet. It's something easily taken for granted.

PeterGh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2008, 01:20 PM

Simon and Cold Warrior

Many thanks for your reassuring replies

ooninay
Jun 21, 2008, 01:57 PM

My 24" iMac is absolutely silent, the quietest computer I've ever had as far as fine noise goes. I think when I run graphic-intensive games the fan cuts in but I don't even hear it over the game sounds. I hate fan noise so this is something I would notice right away if it were there.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2008, 04:22 PM

I'd like to add another vote for "quietest computer ever owned". My 24" has been a pleasure since the day I bought it. I am also sensitive to noise, and have been amazed that this thing is just dead silent.

PeterGh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2008, 09:47 AM

Many thanks for those further reassurances. What concerned me regarding noise is that the latest iMac 3.06GHz has an overclocked Penryn E8235 cpu running at 55 Watts, which mimics the forthcoming X9100 (35 Watts) Centrino 2 (Montevina) due out in July.

55 Watts seems to be a lot of heat. Does anyone know if the current E8235 chip is a stop-gap measure pending the X9100?

I know technical innovation is always around the corner and one could wait forever, but I would be annoyed to get a current iMac only to find it upgraded in a few weeks. However, I may press ahead since your experience shows that the iMac cooling copes well with 55 Watts, and the current overclocked Penryn seems to be a good chip.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2008, 05:20 PM

The X9100 has a TDP of 44W. The 3.06 GHz Penryn in the iMac has ~45W TDP as well. This is nothing to be afraid of. The CPU will run hotter under full load. That does not mean more fan noise under regular usage or under idle conditions. If you need that kind of CPU power just get it and stop worrying.

mimory
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2008, 09:34 AM

My 24" 2.8 is super quiet. There's hardly any noise. I don't think I even hear the hard drive. You have to put a CD/DVD in to hear some mechanical noise coming out from the imac.

EuropeBetterThanAmerica
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2008, 08:46 AM

My 24" 2.4 is super quiet too.. much more than the macbook.

24" iMac >> MacBook >> iBookG4

DaveDaveDave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2008, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The X9100 has a TDP of 44W. The 3.06 GHz Penryn in the iMac has ~45W TDP as well. This is nothing to be afraid of. The CPU will run hotter under full load. That does not mean more fan noise under regular usage or under idle conditions. If you need that kind of CPU power just get it and stop worrying.
Hey, it's a really valid concern - he's got every right to worry about it.
I for one got my old iMac (24" 2.16 C2D) for audio production which I run it near full CPU all the time, and it stays nice and quiet at a cool 20dbA @ 1 meter. (spec is from out silentPCreview.com). I really hope the new iMacs continue keep their low noise specs as they gain in performance.
The low noise spec under load has been an awesome feature since they came out. Trying to get such low noise with any other PC costs a good chunk of change, requiring all kinds of noise suppression parts and devices like quieter cases, CPU coolers, HD suspension kits, quiet fans and the like. If the iMacs weren't as quiet as they are *under full load*, I'd honestly consider either spending more money on a Mac Pro or less money on a PC.

I'm very interested in hearing updates on precisely how quiet the newer iMacs are under full load. If anyone has any, please post!

Dave

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2008, 07:55 PM

Again, a hotter CPU does not equal more noise. I recently set up a new iMac for a friend. It's an extremely quiet Mac. Even under prolonged full load usage. With this iMac generation there is really no reason to worry about noise.

alvinson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2008, 09:26 PM

have a look,and study it

SurveyLover Index :Create surveys, landing pages, polls, quizzes, contact forms, ticketing queues and mobile marketing campaigns.

Forum Links
Forum Rules