Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Exchange AND Mobile Me at the same time?

Exchange AND Mobile Me at the same time?
starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2008, 03:55 PM

I've been hearing that you have to do one or the other, but you can't do both, which makes no sense. Anyone know for sure?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

kman42
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2008, 04:18 PM

You can probably do email from both of them, but I think calendars/contacts are one or the other. There isn't a 'top-level' in the calendar or contacts apps that would allow one to distinguish between the two (as one does with two email accounts) and I haven't seen any indication that there is a way to assign contacts or events to different servers. Maybe in the next update.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2008, 06:04 PM

Contacts with exchange servers is a mess on the mac right now anyway. I made the mistake of trying to sync using office 2004's entourage months ago, and I still have not fully reconciled the mess that was made. 2008 office is a little better, but still terrible.

So long as the emails can be synced, I am ok. But one early tester listed that one cannot sync to both the mac AND an exchange server for aspects of email.

We'll just have to wait for the 2.0 software to see how this is implemented.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 08:39 PM

Anyone heard if you can sync calendars from Outlook but sync your contacts from mobile me?

No way I'm syncing contacts with Outlook.

The one thing I would miss with Outlook calendars are the subscriptions to sports teams, etc like I use with iCal. Are there sites like icalshare for Outlook?

Definitely doing outlook/exchange mail. This is going to be great and a long time coming.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 09:09 PM

Between the two, I'll take my personal calendar and contacts. I'm looking forward to giving email syncing with work (Exchange) a try though.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
Between the two, I'll take my personal calendar and contacts. I'm looking forward to giving email syncing with work (Exchange) a try though.
Yeah, giving up iCal might be tough. It would be nice though if the people I work with could finally see my schedule. However, I publish my schedule to my wife via iCal so she knows where I am when I am out of town. If only iCal events and Outlook events were the same language.....

I gotta think that if iI don't like it, outlook calendar sync could be disabled and i could enable mobileme calendar syncing.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2008, 08:21 AM

I'm hoping for the same thing. I have trouble syncing between Entourage and iCal. I really don't want my appointments screwed up (for the umpteenth time) by Entourage/Exchange. I also prefer iCal for day-to-day use.

I desperately need ActiveSync for my e-mail, though, and hope to use MobileMe for calendars, bookmarks and contacts.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2008, 08:23 AM

One possible workaround to the Exchange v. MobileMe calendar issue is to sync using MobileMe OTA but sync calendars from Entourage (Exchange) to iCal rather than to the iPhone OTA via ActiveSync. Would that work?
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

Pair of iPhones

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2008, 10:36 AM

Nope. If you select Mobile Me or Exchange to sync calendars, the others options are blocked. iTunes on the Phone page will say something like:

"Your calendars are being pushed to your iPhone over the air from Microsoft Exchange. Over-the-air sync settings can be changed on your iPhone.". When that message is up, no options are in iTunes to sync local calendars.
<This space under renovation>

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2008, 10:50 AM

Yeah, but you can sync your Entourage (Exchange) calendar to iCal (go to Preferences in Entourage to set it up) and sync OTA with MobileMe only, which gets both calendars.

Pair of iPhones

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2008, 04:33 PM

Actually, I stand corrected. Exchange and MobileMe will both work. I just turned on calendars for both, and it looks like MobileMe was up long enough to sync. I now get color coded versions of events, and a button in the top of calendars to go and turn on and off individual ones. Turned on contacts for both as well, and I get all my groups in contacts, both work and personal ones.

So while you can't mix syncing over USB and syncing over the air, you can mix Exchange and MobileMe over the air.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Drakino View Post
Actually, I stand corrected. Exchange and MobileMe will both work. I just turned on calendars for both, and it looks like MobileMe was up long enough to sync. I now get color coded versions of events, and a button in the top of calendars to go and turn on and off individual ones. Turned on contacts for both as well, and I get all my groups in contacts, both work and personal ones.

So while you can't mix syncing over USB and syncing over the air, you can mix Exchange and MobileMe over the air.
Wow! I had asked this question numerous times and the consensus was always that it wouldn't work. Can you provide some screenshots? Press the Home button and then the Power button and it will put a screen shot in your camera roll. [nifty new 2.0 feature]

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2008, 05:00 PM

I can't show the calendars right now, they are a bit of a mess with both MobileMe pushing my entourage synced calendar, and exchange pushing the same data.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 05:17 PM

thanks. this is great news.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 09:29 AM

Yup, you can get both Exchange (work for me) and Mobileme (personal) calendars. Plus, you can do a look up against the Exchange GAL over the air as well which is extremely handy.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Forum Links
Forum Rules