Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Heard and not seen...iTunes 8.0 quirk

Heard and not seen...iTunes 8.0 quirk
gulmatan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2009, 04:29 AM

Hi all,

I'm experiencing quite a peculiar situation. In the midst of a long stretch of PB usage without a restart, I'll notice that, if I minimize or close the iTunes window, I cannot get it back on screen. Yes, I can see it and access its functions through the dock, but even if I click on its dock icon, the window will not pop up. I wind up pausing the current track that's playing and quitting the app--all through the dock. Then. after I relaunch iTunes, everything returns to normal.

What causes this quirk? Please advise.
( Last edited by gulmatan; Jan 18, 2009 at 04:42 AM. )
PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz/1GB RAM/OS/X (10.4.11)
Windows--A fate in league with Communism.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2009, 04:29 PM

I've had this happen on my MBP from time to time too. Not sure what's causing it though. :s
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2009, 07:42 PM

Is it a spaces issue? If you have spaces running, try manually switching to the space where iTunes lives. I find that spaces causes issues with a few applications, iTunes being one of them, where the app windows get "lost in space" and I have to manually hunt them down. Quite irritating.

gulmatan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2009, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Is it a spaces issue? If you have spaces running, try manually switching to the space where iTunes lives. I find that spaces causes issues with a few applications, iTunes being one of them, where the app windows get "lost in space" and I have to manually hunt them down. Quite irritating.
As you an see from my sig, I'm on Tiger (10.4) so, "Spaces" is not a component of this OS so, Spaces is not the issue.

Another question arises though in addition to this current one: Does the Mac or OS/X 10.4 have memory management issues with lengthy sessions (several hours at a time) of opening and quitting multiple applications between restarts? Could this be causing my problems (i.e. applications load within insufficient memory heaps). I thought OS/X had provisions such that apps will not even launch if there is a lack of sufficient memory to accomodate it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2009, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by gulmatan View Post
ADoes the Mac or OS/X 10.4 have memory management issues with lengthy sessions (several hours at a time) of opening and quitting multiple applications between restarts? Could this be causing my problems (i.e. applications load within insufficient memory heaps).
no.

gulmatan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2009, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
no.
Well then. I feel like I'm back to square one. Or not? Where could my glitch be coming from?

gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2009, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by gulmatan View Post
As you an see from my sig, I'm on Tiger (10.4) so, "Spaces" is not a component of this OS so, Spaces is not the issue.
Sorry, hadn't noticed the sig. To clarify, does the iTunes menu bar appear, just missing the windows, or does nothing appear at all.

gulmatan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Sorry, hadn't noticed the sig. To clarify, does the iTunes menu bar appear, just missing the windows, or does nothing appear at all.
Menus are there but windows are gone, vanished.

ibook_steve
Jan 19, 2009, 02:08 PM

Stupid question: if the menus are there, what happens when you go to the Window menu and select iTunes to try to bring back the window?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

gulmatan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2009, 02:17 PM

Stupid answer, nothing! No window, nothing happens.

Forum Links
Forum Rules