Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Startup delay from 'on' to 'ding'

Startup delay from 'on' to 'ding'
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2009, 04:57 PM

Booted up m MacBook Unibody 2.4 today and the sleep light came on, screen was black and was that way for longer than usual...maybe 5-10 seconds, so i held down the power button to shut it down, and powered it back up.

It sorta freaked me out, so i restarted in diagnostic mode and did a 'detailed' test, which came up with no problems. I reseted the PRAM 3 times in a row as well. (the first time it took 10 econds to get to the 'ding' sound again).

Is this normal ?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2009, 04:59 PM

I've had this on my MacBook and MBP and never really taken much notice of it - both work fine.

I switch between OS X and Windows frequently, do you?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2009, 05:08 PM

Nope, only got the single OS and startup disk on this machine. All software is up-to-date as well.

ooninay
Mar 11, 2009, 11:23 PM

This also frequently happens to me on my MBP unibody but otherwise things are fine (well, more or less... still having a problem with third-party memory).

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2009, 11:37 PM

Your Mac is running self tests before it plays the bong, so it may take a while sometimes, especially if you have a lot of RAM.

ImpulseResponse

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2009, 12:23 AM

You need to bless the system folder.
Boot to your Finder, open System Preferences, click on Start-up Disk, then click once on your primary volume (the one you want booted to by default). Then close system preferences.

The delay is the EFI figuring out which volume to boot from. "Blessing" as its called, simply confirms to the EFI the primary volume and will immediately begin booting to it without hesitation.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2009, 01:20 AM

Hmm. So you're saying that if no valid boot drive is detected there will be no startup chime on an Intel system?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules