Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad 3G vs. iPad-non3G and tether to iPhone 4?

iPad 3G vs. iPad-non3G and tether to iPhone 4?
raymond42n
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2011, 08:38 PM

With the recent release of iOS 4.3 which allows the iPhone 3GS/4 to be used as a Personal Hotspot, the choice of getting an iPad w/ 3G or w/o 3G is something to be considered (in light of the additional US$130 plus data plan cost factor).

Has anybody made any tests on the speed of the iPad 2 using its built-in 3G hardware vis-a-vis a non-3G iPad 2 that "rides on" the Personal Hotspot connection of an iPhone 4 or 3GS? Could you share to us your findings? Many thanks!

Raymond

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2011, 09:00 PM

Dunno about the iPad 2 (yet), but personal hotspot works great tethering my laptops to my iPhone 4.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2011, 09:10 PM

I would love to do the personal hotspot or tethering, but AT&T will not let me bring my "grandfathered" in truly unlimited data.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2011, 11:47 PM

I use my iPhone 4 as a hotspot with my iPad 2, but not with AT&Ts approved plans. And for the amount I use it while tethering isn't that much. So far it has been working great.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2011, 11:55 PM

How's that hitting the battery? I hear tethering sucks up juice on the phone like nobody's business.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2011, 12:01 AM

Yeah it drains the battery pretty good. I haven't really recorded the percentage dropping for a certain amount of time though. But I've used it in class for about an hour because some reason my iPad won't pick up the wifi in that room. And with normal iPhone usage the rest of the day my battery is at about 20% by about 11pm and other days when I don't tether my battery is about 55%.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2011, 08:39 AM

1. I'm using tethering on Fido in Canada. I have a 1 GB plan, and laptop tethering eats up bandwidth pretty quickly. VPN for regular stuff (not huge file transfers) can eat up 100+ MB in a few hours.

2. Tethering eats up battery fast on the iPhone 4. Without tethering my iPhone 4 would last days. With continuous tethering it's hours.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2011, 09:27 AM

Yes, tethering is a battery hog, that's for sure, and the main reason why I'll be getting a 3G model next time around.
Bandwidth is more of an issue with a tethered laptop than with an iPad in my experience, but that might just be an indication of different usage patterns.

raymond42n  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
1. I'm using tethering on Fido in Canada. I have a 1 GB plan, and laptop tethering eats up bandwidth pretty quickly. VPN for regular stuff (not huge file transfers) can eat up 100+ MB in a few hours.

2. Tethering eats up battery fast on the iPhone 4. Without tethering my iPhone 4 would last days. With continuous tethering it's hours.
So do we have a relatively general consensus (based on experience) that the Personal Hotspot works real well for a wi-fi only iPad but causes battery drain to your iPhone? I sensed that this would be the case, as the iPhone screen remains "on" while someone is connected via Hotspot.

Thank you so much, people! This is extremely helpful and enlightening.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2011, 02:26 AM

Would it be dangerous to keep your iPhone plugged into it's 5W charger while you are doing tethering? I know you lose portability, but
you could stay connected much longer if you didn't have to rely on the battery only if you didn't need to.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2011, 03:23 AM

I'm sure that's fine.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2011, 09:22 AM

It's really true that the personal hot spot turns off if the screen is turned off? That sounds like poor design.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It's really true that the personal hot spot turns off if the screen is turned off? That sounds like poor design.
Mine doesn't but I'm jailbroken.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Nope, that's not the case.
( Last edited by Phileas; Apr 1, 2011 at 10:36 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules