Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] ShapeShifter 1.1 Released

[ANN] ShapeShifter 1.1 Released (Page 2)
olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2004, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by dru:
If you tried it in November and didn't buy back then you cannot try the new release.

How is that fair, reasonable, sensible, sane?

That's how shareware is supposed to work - you try it and then you buy it (or not). You don't keep "trying" it with every new release. That's precicely the point. They want you to pay for it. Otherwise you can keep "trying" it indefinitely ... And wasn't there a thread about resetting demo limit? Maybe you could email Unsanity with this question, instead of flaming them here?
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

smeger
Mac Elite

Originally posted by Frisbee:
Another thing, being a modem user, I noticed that the dialup menu extra is not changed to the theme's text color like the clock/fast user switching etc. Did Unsanity overlook this, having probably never seen the dialup menu extra?
That's exactly what happened. Thanks for the heads-up!
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

dru
Senior User

Originally posted by olorin15:
Damn it people, you want competition in Mac theming market? Why don't you work on it?
There *was* competition (theme changer, duality, etc.). Now, with all the themers exclusively supporting SS there is none. That would not change if I were to introduce yet another theme format / changer / etc.

ShapeShifter 1.0 wasn't even a good interface for theme switching. It doesn't support icons like Duality did, for example.

What do you want from Unsanity??? You want them to give out SS for free? Or you want them to supply competition? [/B]
They could, you know, actually let you *TRY* it like they claim. I guess that's asking too much for some people, right?
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

smeger
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
I have an idea. Package Shapeshifter with and without all the extra's. Would make downloads for some people a whole lot easier. At least do it for modem users.
Yeah, we should probably do this. It'd save us some bandwidth fees, too.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

smeger
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
The only disapointment is about the metal texture.. Still not available..
Yeah, I know this is annoying. I haven't forgotten about it.

smeger
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by cgc:
It seems that with ShapeShifter 1.1 enabled, Safari v1.1.1 has problems rendering the tabs and the entire tab bar ets destroyed. Disabling SS 1.1 fixes this. Anyone else see this bad behavior/bug?
I've gotten a few bug reports about this. My best guess right now is that this is a problem that is only showing up on certain hardware. I'd appreciate it if you'd shoot Unsanity Support an email with the Safari version, OS Version, and a System Profiler file at your convenience.

Thanks!

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 09:38 PM

make your own program, stop your bitching.
Couldn't have said it better...

Nice work again on SS 1.1.
click one

zachs
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 09:41 PM

Hmmmm, Safari looks great with EYLO applied, except for the downloads window:

Is it/will it be possible to change the colors in alternating text views so this doesn't happen?

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2004, 09:54 PM

There *was* competition (theme changer, duality, etc.). Now, with all the themers exclusively supporting SS there is none.
Yeah, and some competition it was ... especially in 10.3. TC/Duality worked great in 10.3, right? Oh wait, no they didn't ... panther broke old theming ... that's right, I remember now - that's why we needed SS. Ooof, my memory's getting bad - thank god i remembered how this all happened.
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

smeger
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by zachs:
Hmmmm, Safari looks great with EYLO applied, except for the downloads window:

Is it/will it be possible to change the colors in alternating text views so this doesn't happen?
Yeah, I'm aware of this glitch. Mail.app's Status window has the same issue. I'm on it.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
Yeah, I'm aware of this glitch. Mail.app's Status window has the same issue. I'm on it.
Cool, thanks!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2004, 11:57 PM

Yeah, and some competition it was ... especially in 10.3. TC/Duality worked great in 10.3, right? Oh wait, no they didn't ... panther broke old theming ... that's right, I remember now - that's why we needed SS. Ooof, my memory's getting bad - thank god i remembered how this all happened.
If my memory serves me correctly Duality 4 was created on 10.3 in XCode because the developer had the ADC preview releases (not cheap mind you). There weren't any 10.3 themes available at the time so the developer had fun testing out 10.2, 10.1, and 10.0 themes and they all worked.

Don't think we don't have something up our sleeves that we will be showing off verrrrry soon. We intend to be fully competitive with ShapeShifter 1.5 and even out do it.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2004, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
I am a modem user, I had no problem with the shapeshifter download. It's the themes I download that cause me trouble; they could easily be more compressed, and they bundle them with safari skins and desktops and on and on... I just want to download the theme, see if I like it, if I do, THEN I can download all the extras.

Another thing, being a modem user, I noticed that the dialup menu extra is not changed to the theme's text color like the clock/fast user switching etc. Did Unsanity overlook this, having probably never seen the dialup menu extra?
most guikits are hardly 1 meg.. the program is about 5, what are you talking about

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by goMac:
If my memory serves me correctly Duality 4 was created on 10.3 in XCode because the developer had the ADC preview releases (not cheap mind you). There weren't any 10.3 themes available at the time so the developer had fun testing out 10.2, 10.1, and 10.0 themes and they all worked.

Don't think we don't have something up our sleeves that we will be showing off verrrrry soon. We intend to be fully competitive with ShapeShifter 1.5 and even out do it.
Too bad you don't have BBX, max, or swiz making themes for whatever it is... It will have to be damn good to make everyone jump on it. It would be cool if it is better than SS, but there's no way to tell until we see it, and SS 1.5.

Anyway, SS 1.5 sounds like it will kick ass from what I've been able to gather... Thought I don't know what cool new features BBX keeps talking about.
click one

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2004, 12:50 AM

Here is a copy of the email i just sent to Unsanity tech support:

------- Begin email -------
Hello. I mentioned this bug on the MacNN GUI Customization forums. My configuration is as follows:

400MHz G4 PowerMac
512MB memory
ATI Radeon 8500
Two HDDs and a Zip 250 (all internal)

Mac OS 10.3.2
Safari v1.1.1
ShapeShifter v1.1
APE v1.1

The problem I have is when I use a metal window for Safari (changed to metal via SafarIcon) and resize or add a tab or do anything that requires a window update (not a window contents update). The metal part of the window gets thrashed and turns to garbles junk. I can click on the green + icon on the window border or hide/reveal the window or otherwise force a redraw and it's fine, until I resize or add tab, etc. This only happens with metal windows.
------- End email -------

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2004, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by badidea:
Shapeshifter or Theme Bug??
(look at the context menu devider lines)

ZOOM

or

Detail
Now is this a bug or not??

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Too bad you don't have BBX, max, or swiz making themes for whatever it is... It will have to be damn good to make everyone jump on it. It would be cool if it is better than SS, but there's no way to tell until we see it, and SS 1.5.

Anyway, SS 1.5 sounds like it will kick ass from what I've been able to gather... Thought I don't know what cool new features BBX keeps talking about.
That's true
Good themes make the good theme changer...

No one wants the best Theme changer if the themes are crappy !
Do you have any sample theme to show ?

smeger
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by badidea:
Shapeshifter or Theme Bug??
(look at the context menu devider lines)

<image snipped>

or

Detail
I suspect that this is a problem with FinderIcon. I notice that it's not using the standard menu text size, which makes me suspect that it's doing some voodoo with menu drawing.

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 10:42 PM

I suspect that this is a problem with FinderIcon. I notice that it's not using the standard menu text size, which makes me suspect that it's doing some voodoo with menu drawing.
What ever happened to standards? Too bad Aqua is really a mess under the clean happy surface.
click one

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2004, 01:39 PM

ShapeShifter 1.0 wasn't even a good interface for theme switching. It doesn't support icons like Duality did, for example.
well what the hell is candybar and all those other programs for? im sure shapeshifter could throw something fast together like candybar does but why the hassle? there is already more than one icon program out there and they work.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2004, 02:21 PM

That's what I was thinking too but I wasn't sure if it could have been a SS Bug that made this narrow menu look like this.
It's not a problem I couldn't live with though...no problemo

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2004, 02:26 PM

well what the hell is candybar and all those other programs for? im sure shapeshifter could throw something fast together like candybar does but why the hassle? there is already more than one icon program out there and they work.
Would be nice to have everything in one...

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2004, 02:45 PM

most guikits are hardly 1 meg.. the program is about 5, what are you talking about
The guikits themselves are very small, but some come with many, many extras. A few desktop pictures, safari skin... SS is about 4.6 megs, I've seen guikits+extras at 6+ megs (and no, they weren't DLTAs)

H * � �
Jan 24, 2004, 05:25 PM

That's how shareware is supposed to work - you try it and then you buy it (or not). You don't keep "trying" it with every new release.
Each version of SS installed should reset the demo period according to the developers.
I have found this to be untrue on both of my Macs however.

Forum Links
Forum Rules