Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Hiding etc and var aliases

Hiding etc and var aliases
tikki
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 09:43 AM

I am imaging some new G5s that came in to the office today. Unfortunately, when the machine finishes imaging I can see an alias for /etc, /var, and a few other entities that are supposed to be hidden. Is there a way I can hide these so my users aren't effing around in there?

Thanks.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2005, 10:04 AM

When the machine is rebooted using the imaged drive, the .hidden files should not be visible. Give it a try.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 10:08 AM

I have run across this error when cloning Tiger drives in the past. What happened with me was that the system aliases you speak of are visible when the system is booted back in to an OS older than Tiger (In this case 10.3.9) I'm not sure if this has been fixed or ever will be. If this is similar to what is going on with your systems then I don't kow a fix. But I'd make sure you are cloning correctly since visible aliases are usually a sign of an incorrectly cloned image otherwise. If you are using CCC make sure that you are logged in and running as root with Tiger or it will clone right.

What are your system specs for these machines you're cloning?

tikki  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 10:11 AM

They are Dual 2.7 GHz G5s.

I fixed it by using the XRay utility, but I really dont want to have to do that in the future when I have a larger upgrade (only 4 machiens on this one).

The funny thing is that when I open the ASR image for inspection on my machine, the aliases don't show up. Kinda weird.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 10:11 AM

Update to 10.4.2 then see if the issue persists. There is also an article on this:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301677
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 10:12 AM

Also, an application called Tinker Tool will let you show and hide files that are supposed to be invisable. The regular Tinker Tool I think will only let you hide the files or show the files on a global level but I think that the company that makes Tinker Tool also makes a "pro version" that has many more options concerning hidding files.

Forum Links
Forum Rules