Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > help with VNC

help with VNC
hacktic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2004, 03:08 AM

i've got a Mac and a PC which are both wired to a router connected to the internet.

i wish to take away the PC monitor to save some space on the table and use the MAC monitor to display the PC system.

i just cant get it to work:

i installed VNCserver on the PC and VNCviewer on the mac. i keyyed in the internal IP address of the PC on the mac VNCviewer but it wont connect.

could someone who managed to do this successfully help me out. i.e which VNC programme did you use for each system and the extra settings on both the machines.

TIA

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2004, 06:57 PM

Make sure you use Port fowarding and open ports 5800~5900 and set for UDP and TCP/IP...that should do it.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 02:37 AM

I'm assuming all you want to do is local administration, that is, from within your LAN and not through the Internet. Which version of VNC did you install on the PC side? RealVNC v4.0 or TightVNC?

First thing you have to make sure is that the service (VNC) is running. There should be a little white icon on the taskbar meaning it's running. It turns black when someone is connected to your computer.

Second is if the PC is actually allowing you to connect to the service. By default, it should accept all incoming requests, but you can be sure by going into the configuration options and granting/revoking access to a particular computer or an entire network.

Third thing to check is if you have a firewall installed on the PC side. Are you using a program like ZoneAlarm or Norton Personal Firewall? Make sure that the firewall is accepting incoming connections to TCP port 5900.

If you've checked all that, you can first try a simple telnet test to see whether the Mac is able to reach port 5900 of the PC. You can go to the Terminal and type telnet <ip.address.of.pc> 5900. You should see something to the likes of:
Trying 192.168.160.49...
Connected to portal.in.svi.ph.
Escape character is '^]'.
RFB 003.003
If you don't get any output at all, either your PC isn't allowing incoming connections to that port or it isn't listening at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules