Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Reference Materials - IP/Networking

Reference Materials - IP/Networking
Richard Clark
Senior User
Apr 28, 2005, 04:53 PM

Hi,

It's nice to send a post where I don't have a problem or emergency. I had my review last week and it was GOOD! It was four months late but hey, it was positive.

I have a boss that is supportive and gave some suggestions for the direction he would like to see my skills. This is huge considering my previous manager ..... nuff said. It's a pleasant change to be given constructive suggestions on what would help me with my job.

A little background. I'm a Network Support Technician. I mainly maintain Mac workstations and printers in those areas (we're close to 100 machines now). I also support PC workstations (Window's 2000, XP on laptops) and all other printers as well. I'm the only tech in my facility so I take care of the PC's about as much as the Macs. There's probabbly about 300-350 workstations in this building.

Recently I have been helping with the infrastructure where they are starting to install Gig switches in our data closets. I'm also responsible for one of the data closets which I'll be recabling next week - it was a disaster.

When I asked my manager what he would recommend for reading material this was his response:

" look for a book that focuses on basic IP networks. Be concerned with packets and routes, but not overly concerned. For example, it's not really going to be helpful if you know the header length or the number of bits and what they mean. Focus on how they route and convey information. If you found a book that also talked about Macs and how they use IP, even better."

So, I thought I would bring it up and see what you guys/gals would recommend.

I've checked out some of the books from O'Reilly's web site. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks in advance!
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

TCPport22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2005, 07:59 AM

There are a number of books that will get you where you need to go. One of my favorites is:
Cisco Networking Academy CCNA 1 and 2 Companion Guide

This is the first (of 2) books Cisco uses in their Networking Academy curriculum. The first part of this book will teach you everything you need to know about networking (and then some). The second part of the book deals mainly with routers (which from your post, you are not interested in now but provides a great path for career advancement.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules