Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > WTF, Toronto?

WTF, Toronto? (Page 2)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2013, 11:07 AM

Well, for 2014, the Fords are supporting funding for WorldPride. Or at least Doug Ford is, and even went so far as to say doubling the funding to $280000 for 2014 would be reasonable.

Ironically, while I personally think the city should bend over backwards administratively to support Pride, I've never been a big fan of city funding support for Pride, although at 2013 funding levels, I'm not complaining as it's not a huge amount of money. I also do agree that WorldPride 2014 takes priority in terms of funding as it is an international event, so increasing funding specifically for WorldPride 2014 is also reasonable.

Rob Ford also attended the flag-raising event earlier in 2013.

And his brother whooped it up there too.

I never thought I'd see these pix during Ford's reign.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2013, 11:09 AM

Desperate for voters. The Ford brothers have done nothing so far to dispel the notion that they are homophobes, through and through.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2013, 11:10 AM

Yeah, most likely, and it might have worked too had he not screwed up so much else.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2013, 06:13 PM

Too little, too late.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2013, 08:25 PM

Why is funding ANY parade a governmental obligation? I'd feel the same way about a "Bible Day Parade" or "Irish Heritage Festival," and everything in between. $280,000...good grief...

Give private organizations the permits to hold them publicly (within reason), but don't increase everyone's debt by funding these parades in the first place. Seriously, someone give me three good reasons why this is the government's job?

Also, seeing as I'm driving into the GTA tomorrow, don't anyone forward this thread to the U.S./Canadian border agents.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2013, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Why is funding ANY parade a governmental obligation? I'd feel the same way about a "Bible Day Parade" or "Irish Heritage Festival," and everything in between. $280,000...good grief...

Give private organizations the permits to hold them publicly (within reason), but don't increase everyone's debt by funding these parades in the first place. Seriously, someone give me three good reasons why this is the government's job?

Also, seeing as I'm driving into the GTA tomorrow, don't anyone forward this thread to the U.S./Canadian border agents.
Gay Pride Week in Toronto, like many other parades, is a huge money maker for the city. About 1 million people visit the city for it.

Asking why the city financially supports this parade is like asking why the city spends money encouraging tourism. It pays for itself and then some.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2013, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
It's an investment, the Pride Parade routinely contributes more than $120 million to the city's economy.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2013, 12:00 AM

Well, that's gay.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2013, 09:25 AM

In general I'm not a big supporter of using city funding for such events, but I'm not adamantly opposed to it either since it does benefit the city greatly. However, I'll point out again it's not just Pride Week for 2014. It's WorldPride 2014, which is an international festival, and the first time in North America. Expect a much bigger turnout in 2014.

Meanwhile, Ford's own staffers say that he appeared to be snorting coke with prosties during one of his drunken stupors. This just gets better and better.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2013, 10:10 AM

The story has gotten spectacular since the newspapers got their hands on unredacted police documents. I don't have any links handy, perhaps our Candien brethren can fill us in

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2013, 12:58 PM

For all the dirty laundry you care to read, check out The Star, one of Toronto's daily papers. Early in Ford's tenure they so annoyed him that he banned them from City Hall. They came back by being one of the papers breaking the crack story.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2013, 01:00 PM

Meh.

I was promised stuff better than smoking crack, and so far I've been disappointed.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2013, 01:03 PM

I'm not googling it at work, but apparently he said to the press this morning "I have plenty of pussy to eat at home" and I'm infinitely amused by the concept of "plenty" pussy.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2013, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Meh.

I was promised stuff better than smoking crack, and so far I've been disappointed.
Playing to a tough audience.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2013, 01:18 PM

This reminds me of a certain philandering politician who was told by one of his stable "I heard someone call your wife a lesbian at a party".

His alleged response was "hell, she eats more pussy than I do!"

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Playing to a tough audience.
Anyone in showbiz will tell you don't let the crack smoking open for you.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2013, 01:37 PM

In that vein, probably the best Kathy Griffin story ever is about letting Andy Dick open for her.

It was in the deep South. Andy was late (surprise). When he gets there, he's wearing a dress...

But the end of his act was to have a giant biker guy heckle him for being a "faggot", then come up on stage and pretend to anally rape him. Dick finished the act in true Kaufmann style by bursting into tears and accusing the audience of standing by while he was raped.

As I said, never let the crack smoking open for you.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2013, 01:42 PM

It just keeps getting more ridiculous:
Police documents relating to that investigation contain a number of allegations against Ford, including that the mayor targeted his former special assistant, Olivia Gondek, in crude sexual remarks on the evening of St. Patrick's Day 2012.

Ford responded to that accusation on Thursday morning, before the throng of reporters who have gathered daily outside his office.

"Oh and the last thing was, um, Olivia Gondek. It says that I wanted to eat her p---y. Olivia Gondek, I've never said that in my life to her. I would never do that," he said, in comments that were broadcast live on television. "I'm happily married ā€” I've got more than enough to eat at home."
Oh, and you know how Ford was demanding that any evidence against him be released to the public so "they can decide for themselves?" Now that it's been released, he's planning to sue almost everyone who spoke against him:
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is threatening legal action against former chief of staff Mark Towhey and others following the release of court documents quoting individuals alleging he has repeatedly used drugs and been seen with a woman who may have been a prostitute.

"Unfortunately, I have to take legal action," Ford said early Thursday in a brief statement to reporters.

Ford also singled out his former press secretary, George Christopolous, former deputy press secretary Issac Ransom and a waiter at Toronto's Bier Markt, the downtown nightspot that allegedly was the scene of a much-discussed incident on St. Patrick's Day.

"I have to take legal action against the waiter that said I was doing lines at the Bier Markt, that is outright lies. That is not true," he said. The documents include descriptions by former staff and others of Ford's alleged behaviour.
What a fncking pr!ck.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2013, 01:49 PM

The mayor just held a "press conference," meaning he showed up to harangue the media for picking on him, then fled without taking any questions. What a coward.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Nov 14, 2013 at 02:28 PM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2013, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'm not googling it at work, but apparently he said to the press this morning "I have plenty of pussy to eat at home" and I'm infinitely amused by the concept of "plenty" pussy.
If this turns into a story about he and his wife being of an alternative lifestyle (aka. "swingers" or an open marriage) will the Canadian press afford him the same discretion and respect as they would people in other non-traditional relationships?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2013, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
If this turns into a story about he and his wife being of an "alternative lifestyle" (aka. "swingers") will the Canadian press afford him the same discretion and respect as they would people in other non-traditional relationships?
Considering he was harassing other women, no.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2013, 02:36 PM

Considering he was harassing other women, no.
I'm not seeing a lot of evidence of that, mostly hearsay. If you're talking about Sarah Thomson, why did she directly go to the press instead of the police? It could still be true, but that always makes my BS detector go off.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2013, 02:38 PM

I'm not seeing a lot of evidence of that, mostly hearsay.
I have no idea how we went down this path considering I mentioned nothing about open relationships in the post you quoted, so I'm just going to bow out post-haste.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2013, 03:20 PM

If this turns into a story about he and his wife being of an alternative lifestyle (aka. "swingers" or an open marriage) will the Canadian press afford him the same discretion and respect as they would people in other non-traditional relationships?
:roll eyes: The press is not reporting - and would not care in the slightest - if Rob Ford was cheating, or had an open relationship, etc. They are reporting on allegations of illegal conduct, i.e. using a prostitute. It has nothing to do with lifestyles.

I'm not seeing a lot of evidence of that, mostly hearsay. If you're talking about Sarah Thomson, why did she directly go to the press instead of the police? It could still be true, but that always makes my BS detector go off.
Your BS meter is woefully mis-calibrated. Women are grabbed all the time. They then make choices to report or not, to speak up or not, to smack the guy or not, all the damn time. The implication that "she didn't call the cops, ergo she shouldn't be trusted" is just misogynist BS.

Besides, think about what you said: you called a women's allegations "hearsay." That's not what hearsay is. If a person speaks out on something that happened to themselves, that's not hearsay, that's direct testimony.

And let's look at this thing in the face. Ford says he smoked crack "probably in a drunk stupor." Going from his own perspective, I have no doubt that he also mistreats women, berates subordinates, drives, and a dozen other things while drunk. The continual police visits to his home for domestic incidents tells us how he treats women when he drinks.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2013, 03:28 PM

When a politician finds himself making comments like this during a press conference on live TV that's a pretty solid indication that he long ago began to "crack" under the pressure and he now needs to resign so that he can "spend more time with his family".

OAW

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2013, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
so that he can "spend more time eating out his family".

OAW
I, uh, made your comment more accurate, IMO

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2013, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
:roll eyes: The press is not reporting - and would not care in the slightest - if Rob Ford was cheating, or had an open relationship, etc. They are reporting on allegations of illegal conduct, i.e. using a prostitute. It has nothing to do with lifestyles.

Your BS meter is woefully mis-calibrated. Women are grabbed all the time. They then make choices to report or not, to speak up or not, to smack the guy or not, all the damn time. The implication that "she didn't call the cops, ergo she shouldn't be trusted" is just misogynist BS.

Besides, think about what you said: you called a women's allegations "hearsay." That's not what hearsay is. If a person speaks out on something that happened to themselves, that's not hearsay, that's direct testimony.

And let's look at this thing in the face. Ford says he smoked crack "probably in a drunk stupor." Going from his own perspective, I have no doubt that he also mistreats women, berates subordinates, drives, and a dozen other things while drunk. The continual police visits to his home for domestic incidents tells us how he treats women when he drinks.
It adds credibility if you go to the police first, THEN go and find reporter. I didn't say she was lying or should be trusted, that's just your temper and a failure in reading comprehension talking.

As for using a hooker, whatever. Prostitution and politics go together like PB&J, and I've never understood the illegality of paying for sex, anyway.
- Thomas Paine

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2013, 04:11 PM

It adds credibility if you go to the police first, THEN go and find reporter.
You want a politician to waste police time just for her own credibility? Besides, going to the police doesn't create credibility, since women who go to the police are attacked for lying anyways.
I didn't say she was lying or should be trusted, that's just your temper and a failure in reading comprehension talking.
That's great. You accuse her of setting off your BS meter, but not of lying? For anyone not abusing the English language, telling someone they've set off your BS meter is accusing them of lying.

In what world does this conversation make sense?

"The Mayor grabbed my ass."
"That sounds like bullsh!t."
"You think I'm lying?"
"I'm not accusing you of lying, I'm accused the words coming out of your mouth of smelling like bullish!t because you're talking to the press and not the cops."

Da fnck?

It's not my "reading comprehension" that's lacking, it's clearly the way you express yourself, Shaddim.
As for using a hooker, whatever. Prostitution and politics go together like PB&J, and I've never understood the illegality of paying for sex, anyway.
Regardless anyone's opinions on prostitution's legality, Ford is being investigated for illegal conduct, not his lifestyle.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2013, 04:27 PM

I, uh, made your comment more accurate, IMO
Well I certainly hope he's not eating out his entire family.

OAW

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2013, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Well I certainly hope he's not eating out his entire family.

OAW
He said he got more" than enough.

Also, have you seen the size of the guy?

OreoCookie
Nov 14, 2013, 08:41 PM

It adds credibility if you go to the police first, THEN go and find reporter. I didn't say she was lying or should be trusted, that's just your temper and a failure in reading comprehension talking.

I think Ford has more serious problems than allegations of sexual harassment. To see him as a victim of a campaign in the current situation is just bizarre: this man needs help.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2013, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
You want a politician to waste police time just for her own credibility? Besides, going to the police doesn't create credibility, since women who go to the police are attacked for lying anyways.
No, I want her to go to the police so he can be brought up on charges and arrested, what's wrong with you? Is Toronto so screwed up that a woman can't go to the police and fill out a report? Is Amnesty Int'l lying when they say that province leads the way in women's rights? Hell, you make them sound like Afghanistan.

That's great. You accuse her of setting off your BS meter, but not of lying? For anyone not abusing the English language, telling someone they've set off your BS meter is accusing them of lying.

Yep, a whiff of BS doesn't mean it is, only means that it's a good idea to look at something more carefully.

It's not my "reading comprehension" that's lacking, it's clearly the way you express yourself, Shaddim.
Regardless anyone's opinions on prostitution's legality, Ford is being investigated for illegal conduct, not his lifestyle.
Yes it is, everything I write tends to get warped in your mind, there are a few of you like that around here. More often than not you fail at understanding what I'm saying, unload with both barrels, and then you disappear for a while. It's a recurring pattern.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2013, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I think Ford has more serious problems than allegations of sexual harassment. To see him as a victim of a campaign in the current situation is just bizarre: this man needs help.
He needs to be investigated, no doubt, but it's plain to see that a lot of this would be swept under the rug if he were of a different political persuasion. There are many politicians still active today (like Barry in DC) who have repeatedly done similar things but weren't run out of office on a rail. In fact, here's the former DC mayor, possibly with some sympathy for Ford; "I feel for ya, man."
- Thomas Paine

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2013, 09:19 PM

Barry wasn't run out of office?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2013, 09:26 PM

And now you're the child porn capital of Canada...

BBC News - Hundreds held over Canada child porn

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2013, 09:27 PM

but it's plain to see that a lot of this would be swept under the rug if he were of a different political persuasion. [/URL]
Now you're just making shit up.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2013, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Barry wasn't run out of office?
Not very far, since he's till serving on the city council.

Now you're just making shit up.
Really? I'm just paraphrasing what was said in your local paper:

Rob Ford has not been charged with anything. He is guilty of keeping questionable company but little else that can be described as criminal.

What he wears, what he eats, what he drinks, what he smokes and who his friends are now is public. He has made mistakes and apologized.

Yet, so many are willing to swallow everything his critics dish up; oh-so-delighted to have the mayor tried on YouTube, convicted on Instagram and sentenced on gawker.com

So, is it too much for all Rob Fordā€™s voluble critics to have an Advil, a cup of tea and a good lie down? Thank you.
Former Washington mayor Marion Barry won't pile on Mayor Rob Ford | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun
- Thomas Paine

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2013, 10:00 PM

Really? I'm just paraphrasing what was said in your local paper:
It's the Toronto Sun. Not a paper I would use to prop up my personal credibility.

OreoCookie
Nov 14, 2013, 11:41 PM

He needs to be investigated, no doubt, but it's plain to see that a lot of this would be swept under the rug if he were of a different political persuasion. There are many politicians still active today (like Barry in DC) who have repeatedly done similar things but weren't run out of office on a rail.
Are we talking about the same person and the same incident? He's Ā»drivenĀ« out of office, because he's an addict who is unfit to do his job. And that doesn't have anything to do with his political coloring.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2013, 11:57 PM

Besides, I'm assuming Shaddim is referring to the taint in Obama's NSA record, which I would call sort of a "white collar" crime, if you will, whereas prostitutes and crack while in office are blue collar.

The blue collar stuff is easy, it makes for easy news, easy distraction, easy understandability. The last blue collar crime a president committed was probably Clinton's blowjob. If you are a politician, getting caught with the blue collar stuff is just dumb because it will yield predictable outcomes - basically the equivalent to finding and pressing a "media go absolutely, positively apeshit" button, and in Ford's case, pressing it multiple times. Getting caught with severe blue collar stuff like Ford has is the height of dumb.

That isn't to say that the white collar stuff can't be just as severe. In fact, I'd argue that in many/most cases it is *more* severe. It just isn't as... Easy?

OreoCookie
Nov 15, 2013, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Besides, I'm assuming Shaddim is referring to the taint in Obama's NSA record, which I would call sort of a "white collar" crime, if you will, whereas prostitutes and crack while in office are blue collar.
Given the link, I'm assuming Shaddim is referring to a former DC mayor who has also been caught smoking crack. I don't really know the case, but according to the article Shaddim has linked to, (former Washington mayor) Barry had to leave office, served time in jail and was re-elected to the city council after his release.

Shaddim's argument doesn't make sense to me: in the example he cites, the crack smoking mayor had to leave office, he even had to serve time in jail. I'm not sure whether Ford can be convicted in court, but since he has admitted to smoking crack and drinking, this fact need not be established in a criminal proceeding.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2013, 12:24 AM

Oh, I missed the link to Marion Barry, I thought he was talking about Barry Obama.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2013, 01:04 AM

It's the Toronto Sun. Not a paper I would use to prop up my personal credibility.
Is that like saying, "Sorry, yeah that was in a Toronto paper, wasn't it"?

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Are we talking about the same person and the same incident? He's Ā»drivenĀ« out of office, because he's an addict who is unfit to do his job. And that doesn't have anything to do with his political coloring.
Barry wasn't *driven* out of office, he just narrowly lost the re-election because of his drug charges conviction in 1990, he was then re-elected as Mayor, again, 4 years later, but only served one more term, because by then the city was so economically trashed that the Federal government stepped in and took over all the finances, which meant he couldn't have any more fun on the taxpayers' dime. So then he ran for city council, winning in a landslide, and still does that (when he feels like it). Of course he's still fighting off the IRS, for not filing taxes for several years, and has been caught with drugs and hookers on numerous occasions since his initial conviction, but his electorate doesn't care. I'm confident he could murder someone in cold blood, on video, while smoking crack and getting a BJ, and still win another term representing Ward 8, even if it's from prison.

Marion Barry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This Rob Ford ain't got nothin' on Teflon Barry.
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2013, 05:06 AM

Tabloids don't qualify as newspapers.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2013, 07:20 AM

It wasn't. The point you made, that this has to do with his political leanings, has not been made by the article you quoted to support your argument. Unless you're talking about a different mayor?

OreoCookie
Nov 15, 2013, 08:43 AM

Barry wasn't *driven* out of office, he just narrowly lost the re-election because of his drug charges conviction in 1990, he was then re-elected as Mayor, again, 4 years later, but only served one more term, because by then the city was so economically trashed that the Federal government stepped in and took over all the finances, which meant he couldn't have any more fun on the taxpayers' dime. So then he ran for city council, winning in a landslide, and still does that (when he feels like it). Of course he's still fighting off the IRS, for not filing taxes for several years, and has been caught with drugs and hookers on numerous occasions since his initial conviction, but his electorate doesn't care. I'm confident he could murder someone in cold blood, on video, while smoking crack and getting a BJ, and still win another term representing Ward 8, even if it's from prison.
Be that as it may, I'm still weirded out by what I think you want to say: I don't want an addict as a mayor, neither in DC nor in Toronto, it's that simple. You make it sound that it's the same people who supported Barry are now bashing Ford, ignoring country lines and decades of time which have passed since.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2013, 09:08 AM

BOY!! This is GREAT entertainment. Are we sure that isn't Chris Farley?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2013, 09:11 AM

Marion Barry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This Rob Ford ain't got nothin' on Teflon Barry.
And, like father, like son, his son was just busted for pot possession, and will do 2 years probation.
Barry has spewed some really nasty RACIST insults at the Asian community too.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2013, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
BOY!! This is GREAT entertainment. Are we sure that isn't Chris Farley?
You made coffee shoot out of my nose. Thanks, you nailed it.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2013, 10:39 AM

1. Rob Ford talked about not needing to get pvssy outside the home because he gets enough of it at home. And yes he said that in public using that word on camera in front of reporters. The look of some of the reporters' faces was priceless.

2. I'll have to find the late show clips. Apparently they went wild. Jon Stewart devoted 6 minutes to him in fact. 6 minutes! And apparently Ford's on the front page of the Wall Street Journal so I'll have to check that out too.

3. The Toronto Sun doesn't count as an intelligent source of information. They're about 4 steps below the Toronto Star, and the Star is still decidedly a local paper. At least the writing in The Star is tolerable, but more respected newspaper would be The Globe and Mail. There's also the National Post but they've become increasingly irrelevant as they struggle to survive.

The breakdown for the Toronto papers are:

The Globe and Mail: Politically centrist (for Canada, which would be left by US standards). Best writing.
National Post: Politically right leaning.
The Toronto Star: Politically left leaning.
The Toronto Sun: Politically very right leaning. Terrible writing.

P.S. Some people "read" the Toronto Sun just for the Sunshine Girl and sports section. I'm clearly not in their demographic, because when I've flipped through the sports section I don't even understand WTF the sports writers are writing. They're often written in sports slang which I find confusing as hell. And a lot of the articles in other sections of the paper read almost like talk radio transcripts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules