Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] Contest Results

[ANN] Contest Results
brianwilson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2004, 03:28 PM

Hey all, head over and check out the winners!

Contest Winners

And yes, it's still an ugly page. We couldn't go changing it on the last day and be inconsistent now could we?!?

Next time friends, next time....

Many thanks to all those who participated! We hope to make it much bigger and better for next time around.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Feb 9, 2004, 03:33 PM

Congrats to all the winners.. They definately deserve all the credit for their hard work and effort!! Thank you for making Jan & Feb exciting months...

A TOAST TO YOU!

dws
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2004, 04:01 PM

Congratulations to the creators of Digital Device, Good Grey & Latium. Good work!

Thanks to all who entered themes. The whole community benefits from your work. There will always be people who will use and enjoy them - and that's what counts in the end.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 04:21 PM

Latium should have been 1st or 2nd.
click one

Invictus
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2004, 04:28 PM

gawd! all three are so depressing.

flat, flat and that depressing green one...

< PREVIOUS NEXT >

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by Invictus:

To each their own, but I really think Latium had the best show of quality and creativity. As for Good Grey it seemed like a rip off of Digital Device. Digital Device is nice, but too flat for my taste and I don't like the color.
click one

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 04:42 PM

Yep; congrats to the winners.
It seems that flat is trendy...
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

fireside
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2004, 04:45 PM

hate to sound like a 'tard, but is there anywhere we can download 'em?

organ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2004, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
To each their own, but I really think Latium had the best show of quality and creativity. As for Good Grey it seemed like a rip off of Digital Device. Digital Device is nice, but too flat for my taste and I don't like the color.
Now that you got that said I have to admit it. Can't keep it in anymore. I actually read Joe Kohlmanns mind right across the atlantic ocean and ripped his theme right off, but changed the colors. Sick eh?

Cheers to everyone who voted for me and thanks for all the supportive emails I've received!

/Martin

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2004, 05:03 PM

I personally would've liked to see imagination somewhere in the rankings, because even in its unfinished state, it's a great concept. I personally didn't like digital device's colors or blandness, but I perceived it's win because of all the praise before and after it was released. Good Grey got my vote for second, as I thought it was nice, but there were some really obvious things that could have been done better, such as making the x-+ widgets have white symbols instead of black, fixing the misshapen icons for the views toolbar item in the finder, and some other little imperfections that stopped me from using it. Latium was a great effort, and I think it showed the most skill, however I there were some places which I found too busy and distracting... I look forward to future themes from this author, I used latium longer than any other contest entry. That said, I've switched back to aluminum alloy toxic. I hope there's another contest next year...

benign
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 05:08 PM

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow
Digital Device by Joe Kohlmann looked
like it might be heading towards Duncan
Cowan land and his Auto-Pilot/+Co-Pilot +
amazing OS9 themes for kaleidoscope.

But ends up looking very poor.

Quite likely to cause feelings of nostalgia - yep.

Simple Empire...

phillryu
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
I personally would've liked to see imagination somewhere in the rankings, because even in its unfinished state, it's a great concept. I personally didn't like digital device's colors or blandness, but I perceived it's win because of all the praise before and after it was released. Good Grey got my vote for second, as I thought it was nice, but there were some really obvious things that could have been done better, such as making the x-+ widgets have white symbols instead of black, fixing the misshapen icons for the views toolbar item in the finder, and some other little imperfections that stopped me from using it. Latium was a great effort, and I think it showed the most skill, however I there were some places which I found too busy and distracting... I look forward to future themes from this author, I used latium longer than any other contest entry. That said, I've switched back to aluminum alloy toxic. I hope there's another contest next year...
I've heard that Imagination came in a very close fourth, so evidently it was pretty popular

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

fireside
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2004, 05:35 PM

is there anywhere where i can see all the contestants? i want to see this "Imagination."

phillryu
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 05:39 PM

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2004, 05:49 PM

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their support, their downloads, and their criticisms. Latium is only going to get better because of it.

And of course thanks to Unsanity as well, that really goes without saying .
DigitalRamen sucks.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 06:05 PM

My favorites were definitely Latium, Digital Device and Imagination. I'm not sure why I liked Digital Device... it just... looked cool. As for Latium, it was definitely the most imaginative, a lot of work was put into it, and, although I didn't really like the green, it was very usable. The thing that bothered me most about it was the dark green menus. It's still an excellent theme, however.
I think Imagination is definitely off to a good start, and I look forward to seeing more developement on it. I didn't like Good Grey as much because it was a little too flat for my tastes. But that's my tastes.

All said, it was an great contest, and congratulations to all three winners.

Invictus
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2004, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
is there anywhere where i can see all the contestants? i want to see this "Imagination."
Those are the ugliest screen shots i have ever seen!

How can anyone be so bad at presentation?
< PREVIOUS NEXT >

Jaey
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 07:23 PM

Those are the ugliest screen shots i have ever seen!

How can anyone be so bad at presentation?
Wow, you seem pretty angry. If they're bad, maybe some constructive criticism would be more beneficial.

Invictus
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2004, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by Jaey:
Wow, you seem pretty angry. If they're bad, maybe some constructive criticism would be more beneficial.
That was constructive...
< PREVIOUS NEXT >

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2004, 10:11 PM

You can now get Digital Device from here:
http://www.jgraphics.net/dd/index.html

I'd like to say thank you to everyone at Unsanity and Other World Computing for sponsoring such a contest. I'd also like to say thanks to everyone that voted for Digital Device in the contest, this theme was almost meant to be a stepping stone to help me decipher ThemePark as a whole, but it's good to know that a nice theme came out of that as well. I certainly plan to continue designing themes, and I hope that those who created the 8 other themes in the contest will do the same.

As for the prizes:
In case you weren't curious, some of the prize money I will receive will be going towards some shareware and probably towards some thank-yous to Max and Swiz for their contributions to Mac OS X theming. I'll probably buy ThemePark as well.

The hard drive sounds great, I can't wait to free up some space on my Mac, I only have about 8 GB left!

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

Jaey
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 11:58 PM

That was constructive...
Then we must be defining constructive differently. If you think MacThemes had bad screenshots and presented them badly, you should also say why you think so. This helps phillryu know what he should do next time, so people don't think its bad.

quandarry
Feb 10, 2004, 12:25 AM

Then we must be defining constructive differently. If you think MacThemes had bad screenshots and presented them badly, you should also say why you think so. This helps phillryu know what he should do next time, so people don't think its bad.
the obvious shouldn't have to be stated...they sucked and he knew it.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 12:39 AM

Look, all I'm seeing is insults. If you want to say something is bad, say it nicely. Say it helpfully. You shouldn't have to be treated like you're in kindergarten, but it seems to be that way so...

dws
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2004, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by WICKEDfour:
I'll probably buy ThemePark as well.
I honestly don't understand people sometimes. It's a sad statement that the winner of the contest hasn't yet purchased the software that allowed him to create his theme. And even now, it's still only a "probable" purchase.

Sorry for the rant, but...

Jaey
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 01:19 AM

Well, why buy something when you can have it for free (legally, too)? Maybe some people enjoy chasing that button around or something.

quandarry
Feb 10, 2004, 01:24 AM

Look, all I'm seeing is insults. If you want to say something is bad, say it nicely. Say it helpfully. You shouldn't have to be treated like you're in kindergarten, but it seems to be that way so...
i guess i've been here to long...you get jaded after a while and the next thing you know your one of the ones that made you that way.

time for a rest...

good bye.

Steb Mad
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2004, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by quandarry:
i guess i've been here to long...you get jaded after a while and the next thing you know your one of the ones that made you that way.

time for a rest...

good bye.
'bout time you give this forum a break. of course, your filthy, untrained behavior won't be missed

benign
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by dws:
I honestly don't understand people sometimes. It's a sad statement that the winner of the contest hasn't yet purchased the software that allowed him to create his theme. And even now, it's still only a "probable" purchase.

Sorry for the rant, but... :brick:

Keep chasing the rabbit...

I found it a strange comment
for him to have made.

Simple Empire...

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2004, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by dws:

Sorry for the rant, but...
I agree. I did purchase ShapeShifter but I couldn't get ThemePark at the same time, so I chose what I needed to see the theme. I've been chasing that "Use For Free" button every day, so there's no way that I won't buy it. I was planning to buy it all along, and now I can pretty easily because I know that I have the money to do so.

I know it's sad and pathetic, you never thought that crossed my mind? How wrong you are. I still regret not having purchased ThemePark...yet.

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

smeger
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by WICKEDfour:
I know it's sad and pathetic, you never thought that crossed my mind? How wrong you are. I still regret not having purchased ThemePark...yet.
Actually, what's sad and pathetic is that it didn't occur to me to make sure that the finalists had registered copies. Most definitely my bad. Finalists, please contact me!
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2004, 01:57 PM

sweet they are getting hooked up with free copies!

swiz
GUI Punk
Feb 10, 2004, 02:24 PM

I knew smeg would do that, and by the way dws, wickedfour is only 15 so cut him a little slack.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

quandarry
Feb 10, 2004, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by Steb Mad:
'bout time you give this forum a break. of course, your filthy, untrained behavior won't be missed
you truly are mad...

brain matter feel like it's rotting away?

keep on attacking me...go ahead...you are an amateur.

if only you knew when to keep your mouth shut instead of trying to derail threads.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2004, 05:35 PM

haha, i thought i was the only one still chasing the button. thanks smeger!
DigitalRamen sucks.

organ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2004, 09:07 AM

ooops... I'm chasing the button as well...

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2004, 01:14 PM

For ease of use, and as a shameless plug, all 3 themes are over at xthemes as of this morning, and all are at the newest versions.

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2004, 04:26 AM

I think they must have based the results on my votes, as I voted them in just that order

IMO the best theme won!

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2004, 01:40 PM

That was constructive...
You - explain why they're bad..
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2004, 10:10 PM

I just wanted to give Good Grey some praise. I thought from the screenshots it looked boring, I downloaded it eventually and tried SS's preview, and still thought it was boring. Then a couple days ago I finally gave it a shot - and I've been amazed by its usability! It's so natural and easy on the eyes. You really have to give this one a try to appreciate it. It's a wonredful theme that can be easily skipped over judging by screenshots alone.
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2004, 12:49 PM

well done all imo

I am a digital device user, I really like it, and I voted in the order of the eventual win.

I'm amazed at some of the negative comments, after all these people invested personal time and effort into to these themes. If you think they're rubbish, then prove you can make something better, otherwise it's just comments from the peanut gallery imo.

Forum Links
Forum Rules