Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Any way to disable optical audio?

Any way to disable optical audio?
Oneota
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2005, 12:57 PM

I have a .avi file with an embedded AC3 audio track. It seems that QuickTime and VLC would love to play it back, but they both seem to insist on playing it through my G5's optical audio port.

If I open the movie and then open another, known-good QuickTime movie file, the 2nd movie plays back its audio as a hissing noise through my speakers, while the first file (with the AC3 audio) continues to output no audio at all.

If I go into my Sound prefs, the output tab has set itself to Optical Audio, and I can't set it back (I can, but it puts itself right back when I quit System Prefs).

Is there a way to make my G5 forget that it has optical audio altogether?

Mplayer plays the movie, but it keeps clicking, leading me to suspect issues with its AC3 codec.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Faxe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2005, 05:09 AM

I don�t know if you can make the G5 forgett completely that it has optical audio, but you could try SoundSource ( look at macupdate.com) maybe it helps

Faxe

lenox
Senior User
Jan 18, 2005, 11:25 AM

I was under the impression that ac3 was a digital-only stream and couldn't come out of the analog ports on your mac unless you converted it.

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2005, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by lenox:
I was under the impression that ac3 was a digital-only stream and couldn't come out of the analog ports on your mac unless you converted it.
VLC will handle it properly and do its magic so that you can hear it, assuming that you don't have an optical-out port for it to use. If it sees the optical out, it always tries to use it (despite the preference option that theoretically allows you to turn it off).
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2005, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by Oneota:
(despite the preference option that theoretically allows you to turn it off).
That is a bug (and a known issue, I think). Unfortunately (IIRC), the VLC project doesn't have someone experienced enough in CoreAudio issues to fix it just yet.

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by Person Man:
That is a bug (and a known issue, I think). Unfortunately (IIRC), the VLC project doesn't have someone experienced enough in CoreAudio issues to fix it just yet.
Indeed - also, as they state on their own forums, they lack a G5 to test any fix they might produce against (or diagnose with). If someone wanted to donate a G5 to the VLC dev team, I'm sure they'd appreciate it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules