Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Am I stupid? HP 1320n set up...

Am I stupid? HP 1320n set up...
philm
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 07:59 AM

Possible stupid question alert...does a printer need an IP address to be accessed via Rendezvous - I thought this was not required.

Here at work, I have plugged in a new HP 1320n into the network. It is seen under Rendezvous printers and I can add it to the printer list. However, when it prints, it just chokes, saying it it trying to print to 192.0.0.192 which appears to be its default IP address. I can print to other printers on the network via Rendezvous - they happen to have assigned IP addresses, but I presume that's a coincidence.

OreoCookie
Apr 26, 2005, 08:45 AM

It's not a coincidence that it doesn't work.

1. When other Macs share their printers, they are shared via Rendezvous. So even when they are networked printers, most of the times, you just access another Mac which acts as a print server. (Rendezvous is not mentioned directly on HP's specs pdf, so I'm not sure your printer is capable of Rendezvous.)

2. What is your network's IP range? If you have a DNS server in the network, you should give your printer a DNS name and an IP address. The minimum you have to do is enter the right IP range, because a device in the 192.0.0.x range (usually) won't be able to communicate with a device in the 10.0.x.y range. Hence, wrong IP range, no connection to the printer, hence a time-out.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

philm  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 09:16 AM

Thanks for this.

I believe that this printer works under Rendezvous, mainly because it shows up under the Rendezvous list in the Print dialog box.

The printer is connected directly to the network with an Ethernet cable, so I wouldn't have thought that Printer Sharing would come in to it (?)

So, it does sound like I need to assign an IP address to the printer in order to print via Rendezvous.

GFitzy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2005, 06:01 PM

too bad to see this thread die. Anyone here have experience actually setting the IP info on this model (1320n) HP laser printer? The HP Toolbox utility is useless and so was HP Tech support on first pass. Has HP marginalized the Mac to the point where I have use a Windoze box to set up an admin this thing??

Help?!, anyone?!

gfitzy

GFitzy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2005, 02:17 PM

turns out the 'new and improved' method is to use a web based admin tool. Of course as the printer arrives with a DHCP assigned addresss of 192.0.0.192 you must put the Mac into that subnet for the tool to work.

Why that never ported the old OS 9 LaserJet Admin Tool is curious, it worked so well.

-gfitzy

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2005, 05:27 PM

Does your printer have an internal print server? My HP 1160 is driven by a very old JetDirect 170x that works very well. I love the fact that I can configure it from the Terminal just by telneting to its IP address!

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2005, 09:21 PM

If its got an N attached to the model you bought than it has one, any HP with an ethernet card on the back has a print server. What you can do is consult the manual and find out how to print the diagnostic page from the printer every HP prints a diagnostic page that will tell you stuff like IP address assigned from dhcp server. you can also try getting the randevous address by using an application called iStumbler it detects randevous addresses. You would think that the randevous address is something like 1320n.local but it's not HP assignes a random name to the randveous address incase you have more than 1 1320n on your network. We bought a 2420d and a 2600n HP 2 weeks ago for the office and we haven't had any trouble of course if your network isn't DHCP it may cause problems. With the randevous address you should be able to type in the .local address into a web browser and access the printer webserver.
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2005, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by philm
Possible stupid question alert...does a printer need an IP address to be accessed via Rendezvous - I thought this was not required.

Here at work, I have plugged in a new HP 1320n into the network. It is seen under Rendezvous printers and I can add it to the printer list. However, when it prints, it just chokes, saying it it trying to print to 192.0.0.192 which appears to be its default IP address. I can print to other printers on the network via Rendezvous - they happen to have assigned IP addresses, but I presume that's a coincidence.
Anything that needs to be accessed by a network should have an IP address.

I dont have a 1320n, but I have several network ready laser printers on my network.

Are you able to turn DHCP on? Both my laser and color laser printers (Canon and Konica) both have settings to turn on DHCP or to assign a static IP in the config menu. If not, you maybe able to change the IP in the browser.

It should be on the same IP range of your computer and other devices... 192.168.0.XX or something like that.
MBP 1.83

Forum Links
Forum Rules