Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Webhosting with RAID?

Webhosting with RAID?
HAGEhead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2006, 09:32 PM

Can Xserve RAID be used to store and deliver website content (presumably in conjunction with Xserve G5)? The Xserve RAID page seems to focus on small, local networks like in graphics companies. Also, their web server page doesn't mentioned RAID at all.

If so, is Xsan at all useful here, or is it only for local networks?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 2, 2006, 11:03 PM

A volume is a volume, pretty much regardless of what physical disk (or array) it's on. You can use RAID storage for any application that a normal disk could be used for.

tooki

HAGEhead  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2006, 07:06 PM

Is RAID normally used for webhosting, though? I'm extremely ignorant on this subject so I'd like to know.

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2006, 08:52 PM

Depending on what the media is you are trying to deliver. Video, high-res images, etc. will eat up a Xserve's 1.5TB internal storage capacity, and an Xserve RAID would be neccessary. I have a Xserve RAID hooked up and it works out just fine.

HAGEhead  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2006, 08:55 PM

Thanks, that makes sense. What about Xsan? Is that just for local networks, or does it have any value for webhosters?

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 3, 2006, 09:04 PM

I'm going to say this is a case of "If you have to ask, you don't need it".
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2006, 09:08 PM

It seems you're playing buzzword bingo; Xsan may or may not be appropriate for your web hosting needs depending on other details. Have you read the Xsan site?

HAGEhead  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
It seems you're playing buzzword bingo; Xsan may or may not be appropriate for your web hosting needs depending on other details. Have you read the Xsan site?
Yes, but the site seems to focus on graphics outfits trying to centralize their data. It appears to focus on local networks. I'm wondering if it was made for webhosting as well. If you need more details, let's assume I'm trying to stream heavy media content over the internet.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 3, 2006, 10:20 PM

You need to post many many many more details instead of asking such vague questions.
If you are serving static content you need drives fast enough to read faster than your connection, or ram to store it all in.
My website

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 3, 2006, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Oakes
Yes, but the site seems to focus on graphics outfits trying to centralize their data. It appears to focus on local networks. I'm wondering if it was made for webhosting as well. If you need more details, let's assume I'm trying to stream heavy media content over the internet.
I'm not aware of any storage solution designed for web hosting, because disk I/O is seldom the bottleneck in web hosting.

tooki

HAGEhead  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2006, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Scotttheking
You need to post many many many more details instead of asking such vague questions.
If you are serving static content you need drives fast enough to read faster than your connection, or ram to store it all in.
Originally Posted by tooki
I'm not aware of any storage solution designed for web hosting, because disk I/O is seldom the bottleneck in web hosting.
Guys, I am not asking for specific advice here. All I am asking is whether Xsan - a piece of software that allows "multiple computers [to] concurrently access terabytes" of storage - is usable for webhosting or local networks only.

Thanks.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 3, 2006, 10:46 PM

Yes a webserver can access data stored on a SAN.
My website

BikerJonTN
Apr 6, 2006, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Scotttheking
I'm going to say this is a case of "If you have to ask, you don't need it".
Seconded.

Forum Links
Forum Rules