Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How much data does streaming SiriusXM radio use? ...

How much data does streaming SiriusXM radio use? ...
cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2012, 02:46 PM

I'm just wondering what kind of rough bandwidth footprint we're looking at for streaming say an average hour of SiriusXM radio? Or similar audio data?

I'm just interested in rough estimates. ;-)

Thanks very much in advance,
Christ

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2012, 04:40 PM

Does it show the Kbps rate (an indirect indicator of quality)?
If it does, you can calculate the MB per hour of listening.
If not, take note of the 3G data counter before and after 10 hours of XM listening and divide by 10.
I have the infrastructure to measure MB/h, so if you PM me your XM credentials I can test it for you.

... Syche!
But I really can measure Kbps on my 3G link.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2012, 11:42 PM

I think Sirius uses a 128KB stream. I've never had a problem with data overages when using it, and I'm on the cheapest data plan. Then again I don't use it too often with my iPhone on the go, but I think they're being very cautious when they warn of high data usage upon starting up the app.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

cmeisenzahl  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2012, 10:38 AM

Thanks very much, guys. I finally got a solid answer from Sirius:
"For better audio quality, we upgraded the 32 kbps free online listening service into 128 kbps Premium SiriusXM Internet Radio listening service that requires a small fee so we could maintain service and quality levels, this happened on March 11, 2009."

Forum Links
Forum Rules