Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > AT&T Broadband

AT&T Broadband
seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2002, 02:52 AM

Okay. AT&T Broadband is pissing me off. My cable has gone down seven times this weekend. It's slower than @Home, and I ping extremely high to Quake servers. I used to ping nine milliseconds to Above.net's "q3.toocool.com" server. With AT&TBI, I'm getting a steady ping of 38 during off-peak times and something like 200-300 during peak usage.

They just don't know how to be an ISP! I'm getting charged more for less. With @Home, I used to get 4-8 megabits per second, and my ping would never be above thirteen milliseconds. AT&TBI, however, suffers from extreme ping spikes and delivers anywhere from 100 kilobits per second to a megabit per second. Unfortunately, it's usually the prior.

I guess it was too good to be true. Obviously, AT&T doesn't know what they're doing. They might have some awesome dial-up services, but they need to learn how to become a broadband ISP.

If this doesn't stop soon, I'm going to order IDSL.

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: seanyepez ]

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2002, 05:03 AM

ever considered that you'd have suffered the same troubles if you had switched ISPs? your quake server is probably on a different backbone now. find a new server or deal with it..

ooh, and 38 ms... thats SOOOO long...

attbi's just fine for most people. if you really care that much, get that T1 wired to your living room that you've been talking about
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Andrew D. Chen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2002, 05:09 AM

Oh gosh. Man, I really feel for you. You are less fortunate than I. If only you could enjoy the average latency of 800-1000 ms on a good day, and 2000 on a bad day... Well, then you would be set!

Anyway. So then. Why not just get IDSL like you said? If there is a problem, fix it. Unless you just feel the need to warn us of AT&T's apparent claim frauds, for which I applaud you. <insert more flattery>

The Dude
Banned
Mar 11, 2002, 05:26 AM

Sean, you suck.

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: The Dude ]

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2002, 11:14 AM

I also dislike AT&T, of course I pay 40$ a month out of my own pocket. Their service is flaky, especially the mail servers.

Unfortunately DSL isn't as fast as cable (the companies offering it anyways) and cost just the same. Plus AT&T have quite the stanglehold on this area. I can't complain much. When it works I see speeds around 230-300K/sec downloading. Meh, I'll live.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2002, 12:43 PM

aww. you guys are so cute! all bickery and stuff!

cant you take your boring personal vendettas elsewhere?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2002, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
<STRONG>aww. you guys are so cute! all bickery and stuff!

cant you take your boring personal vendettas elsewhere?</STRONG>
Personal vendetta? Not really......although now that you mention it...........

I just wanted to let Sean know that he shouldn't complain seeing how he doesn't pay for the service at all. Personally I have yet to use a better all-around Broadband service.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2002, 08:00 PM

Isn't AT&T Broadband Internet via cable capped at 1.5 megabits per second?

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2002, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by The Dude:
<STRONG>You spoiled piece of shit.

Kinda funny, the only real reason he has is that he can't play his games the way he wants them. As opposed to actually doing something useful.

And since when is money of any object to you? You're getting your own PERSONAL T1 soon, right?

Stop bitching and go away.</STRONG>
The T1 through Speakeasy is for me. My parents use the cable.

Cellery
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2002, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>Isn't AT&T Broadband Internet via cable capped at 1.5 megabits per second?</STRONG>
Last time I checked, a T1 is also 1.5 Mbps.

http://www.speakeasy.net/main.php?page=bus_t1

Pretty ritzy connection, I pay $50 a month for my AT&T cable internet and find it's worth saving hundreds of dollars.

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: Cellery ]

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2002, 08:48 PM

<STRONG>

The T1 through Speakeasy is for me. My parents use the cable. </STRONG>
If your Parents use the Cable, then why are you bitching?

The Dude
Banned
Mar 11, 2002, 08:57 PM

You still suck.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2002, 09:34 PM

I love my ADSL connection (of 4.1 years!!!) it's a 4mbps down with a 640kbit up.

The down side (Mac?) is that when ever I am away and want to access my computer (even if I leave it logged in with no energy saving features other then monitor sleep), well I can't get in 80% of the time.

I have clocked (when I can find a server with enough bandwidth) 400KB/sec. and spiked to 100KB/sec for upload.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2002, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by The Dude:
<STRONG>

BOOYA!

I think the reason he wants a big pipe T1 is because he's compensating for something...hmmm...</STRONG>
Go on.

I didn't think so.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2002, 10:16 PM

Neither my family or me pay for my T1. It comes with business connections we have.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2002, 10:17 PM

<STRONG>Neither my family or me pay for my T1. It comes with business connections we have. </STRONG>
You don't become rich by paying bills.

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2002, 10:57 PM

<STRONG>

You don't become rich by paying bills. </STRONG>
You don't make friends by whining like a little bitch about minor inconveniences in your overpriviledged life.

Some of us have major worries. Some people here don't know how they are going to pay tuition next semester. Some people here wonder if they will have to sell their 4 year old Mac so they can feed the kids for another week. Some of the people here can't find work because the economy is in the toilet. Some of the people here have worked hard every day of their lives and feel fortunate just to have a computer.

None of the people here give a god damn about how you were minorly inconvienced by outages in your high-speed internet access. Or about how you get your own T1, or about your ****in' $75,000 car, or about anything else in your precious little life. I hope you get a taste of the real world soon. It's gonna kick your powdered lily ass!

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: RAzaRazor ]

The Dude
Banned
Mar 11, 2002, 11:06 PM

Again, if you want dirt on yepez, gimme a hoot on aim.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2002, 01:38 AM

Capped schmapped. It slows to around 175 after a while but I can get well over 300K for 5 minute stints.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2002, 04:09 AM

Originally posted by sek929:
<STRONG>Capped schmapped. It slows to around 175 after a while but I can get well over 300K for 5 minute stints.</STRONG>
I get 2,500 kilobits per second for about a second or two, and then the cap kicks in. That's the way Pleasanton AT&TBI works.

andi*pandi
Mar 12, 2002, 02:52 PM

for what it's worth, I have noticed a lot of random stoppages and outtages with ATT, and find them annoying also. I don't do online gaming, so haven't bothered measuring how fast/not it is, but I find clicking "checkmail" and getting "cannot connect to the server" messages pretty stupid.

Considering the price I'm paying, I expect reliable service--is that such a wrong thing? or only wrong for sean to complain about?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2002, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
<STRONG>for what it's worth, I have noticed a lot of random stoppages and outtages with ATT, and find them annoying also. I don't do online gaming, so haven't bothered measuring how fast/not it is, but I find clicking "checkmail" and getting "cannot connect to the server" messages pretty stupid.

Considering the price I'm paying, I expect reliable service--is that such a wrong thing? or only wrong for sean to complain about?</STRONG>
Nope, I bitch about it all the time. Randomly my connection altogether will cut out and take a few minutes to reload it on the modem. The new attbi.com mail (changed from mediaone.net) is over 3 times as slow to connect and get messages than the old one. And a couple months back I would go for days straight with no connection at all. Considering my alternative (Dial-Up) its great, really the fastest service around here. But in the realm of customer satisfaction and reliability its in the pits. They have been getting better, but they are still a ways off.

Plus the tech support line is entirely manned by hispanics. Not that I'm racist, just that I can barely understand what the hell they are saying. Its really quite frustrating when you have to ask the tech person to repeat themselves everytime, about 3 times.

Forum Links
Forum Rules