Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBooks and airport security...

PowerBooks and airport security...
seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2003, 11:43 AM

I'm going to be traveling a lot this summer, but I want to keep my PowerBook safe from the grubby, careless hands of airport security. Can I put my PowerBook through the x-ray machine in a sleeve case, or will they make me send it through bare?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
May 20, 2003, 11:59 AM

They will make you take it out of the sleeve. They give you a plastic tub to put it in. It is basically the size and shape of a restaurant dish tub (what the bus boys use to clear tables). It's not going to get banged around much if you still have the rubber feet. It just goes down the conveyor belt to the other side of the x-ray.

Every once in a while, I get a guy that has no clue that there are computers that don't run Windows. You get a little grief from this type of person, but not much. Of course, it's rare that I am asked to turn it on anymore.

The biggest thing I worry about is making sure that I don't set the metal detector off. If you do, you are taken to the side and searched further. While they do this to you, you cannot get your PowerBook back, so I fear it might disappear. I have since learned which shoes I own that set off the detectors (most of my dress shoes do it).

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2003, 12:13 PM

Depends where you're travelling to.

In Europe I usually put the PB into my hand luggage bag and send it through x-ray that way. I've never been asked to take it out, much less to switch it on.

mrmister
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 01:07 PM

Eurpoean security is weak. In the US you will definitely have to send it through bare.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
May 20, 2003, 02:21 PM

I guarantee you will be forced to take the PB out of your bag and place it in one of those buckets. Whether you'll be allowed to place your PB on top of a small bag, such as a sleeve, seems to differ from airport to airport and even screener to screener. I prefer to send my sleeve through with the PB on top for convenience and to keep the PB from getting scratched by whatever may be in the bottom of that bucket. If you do set off the metal detector and you are pulled to the side, ask the screener if he can grab your laptop for you. You have to ask him to get it because they won't let you touch your bag until they wand you down. But it's better that some TSA person grabs your PB than some crook. You have to do the same if you're selected for a random search before boarding the plane. Once they begin to search your bags you're not allowed to touch them until they're done. It's possible to get through security without the guards touching your computer, but you can't set off the metal detector and you can't be selected for a random search. The first one is fairly simple, unless your shoes have a steel support you don't know about. The second though is more difficult since it's semi-random. You decrease your chances of being searched by not being a male between the ages of 18 and 60, not buying your ticket at the last minute, and by checking some of your luggage.

cambro
Senior User
May 20, 2003, 02:25 PM

I've flown with my Ghz Combo extensively. They will ask you to take the PB out of its case and place it in a plastic bin to be passed through the X-ray. I have done this with the PB asleep and off and it doesn't hurt anything. In fact, nobody buy you need ever touch the computer.

Good luck...and be sure to fire up your PB while your waiting for the plane. You'll get some looks!

Dougmc
Forum Regular
May 20, 2003, 04:25 PM

I traveled to Belize just over a week ago. When leaving the U.S., I was clued in by a security employee that I would need to leave my laptop out of the bag to speed the process. Otherwise, they'll take the bag to the side after scanning and go through it all.

In Belize, I just put my backpack on the conveyor belt and they ran it through their scanner that I believe is made by the same people that make the Easy Bake Oven my daughter has. You know the one, where you slide the pancake-size pan in under the 60 watt lightbulb.

As a side note: my 17" laptop fit perfectly on the tray in front of my seat as I enjoyed a movie during my flight back.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

waxcrash
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by wallinbl:
The biggest thing I worry about is making sure that I don't set the metal detector off. If you do, you are taken to the side and searched further.
Originally posted by parsec_kadets:
It's possible to get through security without the guards touching your computer, but you can't set off the metal detector and you can't be selected for a random search.
I fly every other month from Chicago to Birmingham, AL for business. To reduce my chance of setting of off the metal detector, I always take off my belt and shoes and run them through the x-ray along with my TiBook.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
May 21, 2003, 07:17 PM

As an airline pilot, I go through security frequently.

When I unwrapped my new Powerbook, I decided to keep that foam wrapping. The rubber feet are fine, but are USELESS on every tub that I have seen at security checkpoint. This is because the surface of the tubs/trays is sometimes not flat, and the laptop wobbles around, scatching the bottom. I have seen this on my previous iBook and Titanium.

My technique with my new Powerbook is this:

Use that foam wrapping by placing it under the powerbook if the laptop trays at security do not have the foam inserts. I have had about 50/50 luck with the various security checkpoints in the US as far as having the foam-lined tubs/trays.

If they DO NOT have the tubs with the foam, insist that you be able to use your thin foam and politely explain to them you do not wish to scratch your costly Powerbook because their checkpoint has no padded tubs. You might consider suggesting to them that they get some of the padded tubs. I have not had a problem with the TSA people when making this point. You might just have to show it to them as you lay it in the tub.

Now, if you have several bags to go through security with, be smart. Take off watches, pens, rings, shoes, and maybe your belts. Make EVERY effort to NOT set off the machines.

The conveyor belt that runs your stuff through the machine sometimes reverses as the TSA screener is taking another look at items. You DO NOT want to be the buy who's stuff is still behind him, waiting to go through the machine, as he is being wanded and patted-down 30 feet away. This is how people get their laptops stolen. You become detained and shown to some chair and your stuff is getting piled up on the belt, just waiting to be lifted and never seen again.

So, make sure you place your less-important items on the belt first. Then place the laptop in the tub and keep it from going through the machine until you are sure that the TSA guy is ready for YOU to go through the screener.

After you see your powerbook go through, and not come back, THEN walk through. I have seen many people just place all their stuff on the belt, only to be held up because the person in front of them has to go through the screener several times to resolve a conflict.

If you DO get selected for personal screening and wanding, INSIST that you have visual contact with ALL your belongings AT ALL TIMES. They are required to grant you this right.

I just use the Marware Powersleeve for my 17". Very nice sleeve with adequate protection.

So far, no scratches on my Powerbook from security checkpoint! Hurray!

Have not been to Europe with the Powerbook yet, but my experience in Mexico has been good. They are very friendly, and to be honest the TSA people here in the States have really improved.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2003, 08:57 PM

great suggestions. I will be flying to france in a few months wtih my powerbook. have been thinking about this a lot.

On another note, does anyone bother to register valuables with US customs before leaving the states? They say to do this so that they dont try and charge you an import tax having thought that expensive items were purchased abroad. I will be taking my powerbook, digital camera, dv camcorder, etc. Any advice would be awsome.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2003, 09:34 PM

Great advice from all.

I travel a ton and can offer a bit more advice. I have been responsible for the DIA airport emptying the entire passenger area twice as a result of poor screening techniques. On two different flights I had the screener delay the passengers in front of me from walking through the security checkpoint, while the second screener has already sent my Powerbook through the xray machine. I attempted to explain to the screener at the checkpoint that I was concerned that I could no longer see my belongings and was concerned about their security. The screener ignored me both times so I simply walked through the checkpoint and kept an eye on my Powerbook - the first time, someone else had actually begun to walk off with my bag!!!

Of course the security people had a fit and caused all sorts of problems - the terminal was emptied both times and the flights were delayed. I didn't get into any trouble because they HAVE to allow you to maintain eye contact with your belongings. The people at the checkpoint didn't like it any, however their supervisors will tell you that you have the right to keep your eye on your bags.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
May 21, 2003, 09:39 PM

just don't forget it after security!

I'd never think I'd forget mine, but I did..
walked away from security and completely forgot about it.

I had my name on the bottom of my ibook, so they were able to call me up over the airport pa system and I got my baby back.

Label it on the bottom (or however you want), just make sure your name and address and phone number are on it.

I understand that hundreds of laptops go unclaimed everyyear and are not returned as its hard to figure out who owns them.

Interesting article on people leaving laptops at airport security:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/vacat...20-laptops.htm
( Last edited by NYCFarmboy; May 21, 2003 at 10:13 PM. )

suprz's ghost
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2003, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
just don't forget it after security!

Interesting article on people leaving laptops at airport security:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/vacat...20-laptops.htm

i wonder what they do with the laptops that they never find the owners for?......<note to self, look into getting a job at lost and found at airport....>
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"...Albert Einstein

Macpilot
Mac Elite
May 22, 2003, 09:58 AM

Another little bit of info (unrelated to powerbooks but interesting nonetheless) you all might like to know about your rights at security (in the USA anyway) is this.

When the TSA screener is wanding you with the hand-wand, the wand is allowed to contact you only if it incidental contact.

They are NOT allowed to "drag" the wand across ANY part of your body. Some of my coworkers have been harassed this way when all these new procedures were implemented after 9/11 and screeners were doing their own thing and not following the rules.

If you think you are being harassed (this probably happens to women more than men), immediately ask the screener to stop their search and demand to speak with the Supervisor. You are allowed to ask for a private screening, but they are not required to grant you one.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2003, 09:49 PM

How about this idea:

"* Consider putting personal belongings in clear plastic bags to reduce the chance that a TSA screener will have to handle them."

[see the second-to-bottom bullet point http://129.33.119.130/public/interap...orial_0077.xml , the Website for TSA (the Transportation Security Administration)]

DekuDekuplex
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2003, 01:55 PM

A better option would be to NOT fly unless its absolutely necessary. Do you really need to fly where youre going? This country has one of the best highway systems around and some incredible scenery. Why pass all that up? I havent flown in years. The post 9/11 "security" loonacy has only served to solidify that practice. The thought that some $5/hr HS drop ot is more trustworthy than me annoys the hell out of me, much less than allowing one of them to randomly grope my wife or kids.

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2003, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by TAZ:
A better option would be to NOT fly unless its absolutely necessary. Do you really need to fly where youre going? This country has one of the best highway systems around and some incredible scenery. Why pass all that up? I havent flown in years. The post 9/11 "security" loonacy has only served to solidify that practice. The thought that some $5/hr HS drop ot is more trustworthy than me annoys the hell out of me, much less than allowing one of them to randomly grope my wife or kids.
So, for example, if I need to go to Japan with my 17-inch PowerBook, would taking a ship/boat/submarine there, instead of flying, decrease my odds of its being searched?

Oh! Maybe I should just create a Space Shuttle experiment and require it to land there!

DekuDekuplex
-- Matsuo Basho

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2003, 10:43 PM

ha! I was just kidding about being responsible for DIA getting cleared out, but I do have a true security story. A few months ago I was on my way to Reno and had to fly from Chicago to SFO first - don't ask. Anyway, I've got a layover in SFO and decided to get a bite to eat. They had a fairly decent restaurant selection in the gate area, but there were signs pointing to more restaurants out in the concourse. I had a carry on and exited security and spent about five minutes out there and decided I would rather go back in. I went through the security checkpoint - and having been through them a million times, took everything off that would chime. My wallet and watch went in my jacket pocket, my belt, shoes, laptop, etc. all went in the bin.

I'm normally very very good about not letting any of my stuff get out of my direct line of sight - but the goofball in front of me keeps setting off the machine. They finally pull him aside and I come through and what do I see? The TSA woman has my wallet in her hand and is rifling through it... I could not believe it. I marched right up to her and asked her if there was something I could help her find in my wallet. She didn't like my tone and decided to take everything out of my laptop case. She finds a very nice cigar lighter ($$$) and tells me, "This is contraband - I'm confiscating it." I just laughed at her and said, "Don't you mean that I can go back through security and mail it home?" She gets a real attitude and tells me that "is no longer an option and if I don't cooperate I am subject to arrest." She looks over at a cop and asks me if I want her to call the cop. I ask her if I can bring a bic lighter through and she says yes - but not this expensive lighter. Hmmm... I see.

Now you've got to understand - I really wasn't doing anything out of line - I was polite and didn't raise my voice - but was pissed. I pretty much figured the worst that would happen would be that I'd have to rent a car and drive to Reno - what, they're gonna arrest me? Yeah. So I ask the women to call her supervisor and she tells me that she is the supervisor. I've got a real problem with this type of "I'm god" behavior and tell her that if she isn't the Secretary of Transportation, than she's not the supervisor. She's pissed and calls the cop over.

The cop comes over and right away I notice a pack of smokes in his pocket - ah ha, perhaps a fellow smoker will give me a break. She blabs to the guy for a few minutes and then he asks me for my side of the story. I explain that I've got a regular (not jet fueled or anything like that) lighter (but expensive) and that the TSA person said I could bring a bic lighter through, but not this one. He didn't even hesitate - he said, "She's trying to boost your lighter. It happens all the time and most people give them up because they don't want to miss their flight." And, get this, he says this right in front of her. Obviously no love lost between the two of them. We chit chat for a few minutes and the cop tells me that they have had more problems and complaints about the TSA people than ever (since they were all made federal employees). Wow.

The supervisor shows up and I explain my situation and he takes two seconds to look at the lighter and then he hands it back to me and apologizes. Wow. Then I tell him, right in front of this TSA woman, "Well, you know, when I came through security, your agent had taken my wallet out of my zippered jacket pocket and was going through it. What's up with that?" and "What would she say if I told you there was a few hundred dollars missing?"

Get this - the best part - she denied it! The cop speaks right up and says, "Ah, well, I was sitting right over there and I watched her do it."

So I get on my horse and start telling this guy that she needs remedial training or she should be fired. I start blabbing about writing letters and all that. The supervisor was actually pretty cool and I wasn't busting his chops, but I did want to freak out the agent. He apologizes again and sends me on my way - all the while this broad is shooting daggers at me. I walk away and he is in her face pointing his finger at her and the like. Maybe they canned her.

True story. Not Powerbook related, but, hey, I did have my Powerbook with me!!

:->

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2003, 01:53 PM

Touche! Wow! What a story....

I would have additionally followed-up with a Web posting to the TSA Complaints Department detailing the incident, and demanding her resignation. She doesn't deserve unemployment benefits ... of course, since she probably violated regulations, even if she gets fired, she probably won't get any .

In fact, you can easily post a complaint right now directly on the Web by selecting "Complaints" from the pull-down menu at the following site:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/contactus .

Also, here's some relevant information from that site. Use it as you see fit . Teach her the power of the Mac-Force! :
-
Security Violations and Concerns

To report specific violations and concerns about security, please contact the Consumer Response Center. After business hours, please leave a message and your call will be returned promptly.

Phone: (866) 289-9673
Email: [email protected]
-
Office Of Civil Rights

The toll-free number for filing EEO compaints only is 1-877-EEO-4-TSA (1-877-336-4872)
-
Address

U.S. Department of Transportation
Transportation Security Administration
Office of Civil Rights
Mail Stop: TSA-6
400 7th Street, Southwest
Washington, D.C. 20590
-

DekuDekuplex
-- Matsuo Basho

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2003, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by DekuDekuplex:
So, for example, if I need to go to Japan with my 17-inch PowerBook, would taking a ship/boat/submarine there, instead of flying, decrease my odds of its being searched?

Oh! Maybe I should just create a Space Shuttle experiment and require it to land there!

DekuDekuplex
I guess those are valid options if you have the power to make them come true

Obviously there are times when flying cant be avoided, but I have noticed from my friends, that a number of them dont even register other transportation possibilities. Flying has become such a routine event that people sometimes completely have a brain freeze and conclude that flying is the only alternative. Many of the people I interact with complain about the hassles of flying and the new TSA mental midgets' attitudes, yet they never considered NOT putting themselves into the situation of having to deal with them in the first place. One of the resons that TSA and FAA can get away with not being limited by the Constitution is the fact that you as the flyer choose to be there knowing what you will have to endure and as such you choose sacrifice certain rights.

schuss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2003, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by cambro:
I've flown with my Ghz Combo extensively. They will ask you to take the PB out of its case and place it in a plastic bin to be passed through the X-ray. I have done this with the PB asleep and off and it doesn't hurt anything. In fact, nobody buy you need ever touch the computer.

Good luck...and be sure to fire up your PB while your waiting for the plane. You'll get some looks!
just be amiable but persistent, if you're asked to step aside for a search, politely ask if they will grab your carryon and laptop off the belt for you and set them aside. they've always obliged me when i asked nicely.

i agree with you - it's fun to show off! i was vegging to itunes visualizations with the headphones on... and i looked up, and there were literally a dozen people watching over my shoulder. lots of positive comments... (side note: man, i need an iPod, don't i? )
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl Crow

dettociao
Senior User
May 27, 2003, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by mrmister:
Eurpoean security is weak. In the US you will definitely have to send it through bare.
For some reason, (OT), this made me think of "The ukraine is WEAK!". And I laughed. Also, the US security is just as weak-- we just have much more of a "show of force".
-.-
12" SuperDrive

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2003, 07:27 PM

Thanks for your replies. I ended up sending my PowerBook through airport security inside a RadTech sleeve. They didn't ask me to take it out or turn it on.

arkhem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2003, 08:13 PM

I've taken my 17" PB to such high profile security locations such as the UN in New York and the US Holocaust Museum in Washington DC and I did not even have to take the computer out of my carry on. Actually at the UN the guy just waved me through and at the Holocaust museum (tighest security I've ever seen) they asked me if I had a laptop and I had to take it out of the bag and turn it on. LOL I got a peek of the X-Ray monitor and it looks pretty cool inside that PB! Anyway previously I was not so sure if it would be safe going through there, but now I feel okay about doing it. The only thing I know not to put in a xray machine is film (unexposed and exposed?). Can someone else comment about what you should not put in a x-ray machine???

adamberti
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2003, 01:37 AM

I've only travelled with my PowerBook on the airplane twice. I had two completely opposite security experiences, one on the flight to Toronto (from Calgary) and one on the way home. On the way out I had to take out my computer, turn it on, show it to them, and have it dusted for explosives (This was Christmas of 2002). Same thing with my camera - turn it on and let them dust it for explosives. They wipe it down with a cloth and then put the cloth in a machine that examines the cloth. I was quite suprised. They never touched my machine/camera except to dust it. I had to do everything (turn it on, show them all the sides, etc. Then while leaving the Toronto Airport, I didnt even have to take my camera case out of my backpack or my computer out of its case. And when I got home and unpacked, I realized I left a swiss army muli-tool with several blades (upto 4") on it in my carry-on, go figure.

As for concern with film. Never put your film in your checked luggage. For one thing, if its lost, there goes your film, it doesnt matter how much money they give you, or you claim for lost luggage, it will never make up for lost images and memories. Two, they use pretty high powered x-Rays on the checked baggage which can fog your film. So take your film carry-on. Theres been a lot of disputes and myths about the carry-on baggage scanners and if they damage your film. For your average person, the answer is no, no matter who you listen too. The fact that film at low speeds (50-400) isnt affected whether exposed or not is generally agreed upon, and most people use film in that range. Some people think higher speed film is affected, but I believe there have been studies that say otherwise. But you are allowed to ask for a manual inspection of your film, so pull it out if you are that concerned. However, it does take time - I was returning from several Asian countries back to Canada, and I had to go through L.A. (June 2002). Well, I was flagged as 'high-risk' in LA, right as you give your boarding pass to the attendant to board the plane while boarding, and joined another fellow who had been travelling through Asia. You had all of your luggage hand searched, and yourself (belt, shirt, shoes, socks, etc). Well, this other traveller had over 200 rolls of film on him, which all to be taken out one by one and inspected , along with a full bag of camera equipment. Needless to say, our flight was delayed because of him, and my 30 or so rolls of film comtributed too.

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2003, 02:53 AM

Man, you guys sound as if you have gone from a situation of no security at airports to one of excessive security at airports. In Europe we have suffered from terrorism for decades (partly supported by Americanns in the case of the IRA), and our security systems are quite capable of scanning a laptop computer Inside its case. I think your security guys are probably on a steep learning curve and in time will come to realise that it really isnt necessary to take a laptop out of its case for scanning.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2003, 04:01 AM

FWIW, they made my friend wake up his tiBook at Hamburg airport last december...

dragonbong
Forum Regular
May 28, 2003, 06:16 AM

anybody had their PB damaged by them and did they offer any help in fixing it?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2003, 06:24 AM

I fly a lot (I am a pilot). Nobody touches the iBook. I put it in the plastic bin, run it through the machine, and pick it up on the other side.

It's very simple and it has never been damaged.

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2003, 07:30 AM

I think Pilots are treated differently from joe public. I love the way you guys seem to glide through airports, as if on a bed of air ...

Macpilot
Mac Elite
May 28, 2003, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by MusicalTone:
I think Pilots are treated differently from joe public. I love the way you guys seem to glide through airports, as if on a bed of air ...
Yes, we are. Sometimes better, sometimes worse.

If you are referring to the fact that we get to go to the front of the line, there is good reason for this. If you want your flight to be on time, the crew needs to get to the airplane in a reasonable amount of time to prepare it.

BTW, we don't get any special treatment when we are not on duty.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2003, 08:27 AM

It wasnt meant as a criticism. What I meant was that a Pilot is obviously not gonna attract the same amount of suspicion at airport checkpoints as joe public (what would be the point, if you wanted to crash or hijack the plane no one could stop you!) and therefore your laptop will have an easier ride through security.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
May 28, 2003, 08:59 AM

It wasnt meant as a criticism. What I meant was that a Pilot is obviously not gonna attract the same amount of suspicion at airport checkpoints as joe public (what would be the point, if you wanted to crash or hijack the plane no one could stop you!) and therefore your laptop will have an easier ride through security.
I did not take it as criticism. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

As far as my Powerbook getting through security easier, I am not so sure about that. I seem to get the same scrutiny whether in uniform or not.

Your logic is right on about the suspicion! I personally think it is ridiculous for them (the Feds who make up these procedures) to scrutinize flight crews who have gone through extensive background checks to be subjected to removing their shoes, belts, pens, and other items by TSA screeners who themselves have been convicts! The Feds/Airlines actually went after a pilot who told the security folks the same thing you are referring to (about using his hands to crash the plane if he wanted to) and they fired him! For telling the truth! Maybe he was a jerk about it, but this does not take away from the fact that he was right.

The Supervisors at those checkpoints (as Federal employees) now have the right to take my Certificates away from me! Without due process! Just because they don't like something about you! We are scrutinized more than ever when what they should be doing is profiling (like police and El Al do, which works very well) to keep these terrorists off airliners.

I heard that when the Titanium came out, one of the first guys to get one was going through the Burbank airport (in the LA area) and the security people didn't even know what it was! They insisted it could not be a computer and suspected a bomb. They shut down the airport for a short time while they worked it out! Incredible.

What I think is so crazy (and funny if it were not true!) is the fact that they removed some metal eating utensils from meal service, and not other, equally dangerous ones. There is a lot of craziness these days.

The TSA people are just doing their job, and I have to say they have really been doing well lately.

Sorry to rant.....back to the subject.

Anyway, keep your Apples in sight and good luck!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2003, 06:13 PM

Hey MacPilot. Thanks for that insight. I guess things will calm down in time. One of the things we have learnt over here in Europe is that you can't let the terrorists take over you life to the extent that we all suffer a loss of basic freedom and respect as a consequence. By all means tighten security, but allow people to walk tall, walk tall!

Macpilot
Mac Elite
May 29, 2003, 12:41 AM

Hey MacPilot. Thanks for that insight. I guess things will calm down in time. One of the things we have learnt over here in Europe is that you can't let the terrorists take over you life to the extent that we all suffer a loss of basic freedom and respect as a consequence. By all means tighten security, but allow people to walk tall, walk tall!
Very well said my friend!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

adamberti
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2003, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
What I think is so crazy (and funny if it were not true!) is the fact that they removed some metal eating utensils from meal service, and not other, equally dangerous ones. There is a lot of craziness these days.
Ever since they began doing this, I have been almost in shock. Are the people who decided this just plain stupid? I'm pretty sure a fork in the abdomen would hurt just as much as a knife. I have never understood the reasons behind leaving the fork behind, and I suspect I never will. Thats like everything else the government does...

Forum Links
Forum Rules