Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Argh! My contact lens is lost in my eye!

Argh! My contact lens is lost in my eye!
Oneota
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2004, 08:02 PM

So I've got these Focus Night & Day lenses, and they're about half a month overdue for replacement 'cause my prescription has run out and I've been too busy to get to the optometrist. As a result, they've started to irritate my eye a little. This morning, my right eye was really itchy, so I was rubbing the crap out of it, trying to get the itching to stop.

Well, it did, but only because the contact lens somehow rolled on top of my eye. I've been fighting to dislodge the thing all day, and it's starting to bug the crap out of me. I can feel it up there, it just doesn't want to come out.

Anyone got any tips? This has happened before, but I can usually get it out in 10 minutes, tops. This time, it's been stuck for almost 10 hours. Ack!
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2004, 08:06 PM

My first question was how are you going to see the suggestions to get it out.

But seriously, I hope you get it out soon and with as little pain as possible.

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2004, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by MallyMal:
My first question was how are you going to see the suggestions to get it out.

But seriously, I hope you get it out soon and with as little pain as possible.
Heh...thanks.

My other eye's just fine, so right now, everything's simultaneously clear and blurry. I can still see well enough to drive. It's just really irritating.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2004, 08:10 PM

I'd say, go visit Uma Thurman for a few..

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2004, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:

Is that supposed to be a joke?!?

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2004, 08:19 PM

Only if you've watched Kill Bill Vol. 2

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2004, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:
Only if you've watched Kill Bill Vol. 2
Well, I was referring to the winking emoticon - one eye, get it?

(And I haven't seen Kill Bill Volume 1 or 2, unfortunately)

realmeatychunks
Aug 5, 2004, 08:23 PM

This happened to me once.

Try letting some water into your eye to rinse it out while you're in the shower or something.

ender2002
Senior User
Aug 5, 2004, 08:36 PM

Get some eye cleaner, preferable the one in the big bottom with an eye cup. You fill the eye cup with the solution, press it to your eye, and put your head back for a while, moving your eye up, down, left and right for about 3 minutes. Then pull back your eyelid and try to find the contact. Stick your finger in your eye and pull it out. Don't try to use any foreign obects (q-tip, tweezer, etc) because they can become lodged and cause more damage. If it doesn't come out in the next couple of days, call your optometrist or see a hospital.

cheerios
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2004, 08:40 PM

go see your optometrist, dude... it's not healthy to keep em in so much longer than you're supposed to. Eye infections are NOT fun...
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2004, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by cheerios:
go see your optometrist, dude... it's not healthy to keep em in so much longer than you're supposed to. Eye infections are NOT fun...
By strange coincidence, yesterday evening I set up an optometrist appointment for tomorrow afternoon, so if I can't get it out myself, I'll have him/her do it then. Funny how that works, neh?

cheerios
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2004, 08:56 PM

aah fate takes a hand I hope it comes out... blink a lot, your eye watering may wash it out some... gluck
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2004, 09:17 PM

If it's on top of your eye, try looking downwards, pull your top eyelid out and up and try squirting some saline in there. You can sort of massage your eyeball through your eyelid and if you can feel it in there, press gently while you slowly start to look up - that should help loosen it up.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2004, 11:39 PM

Didn't even know that this can happen.

I'm a happy user of glasses.
This sh!t never happened to me...

-t

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2004, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
Didn't even know that this can happen.

I'm a happy user of glasses.
This sh!t never happened to me...
Perhaps so, but the girls don't like 4 eyed geeks, so you're SOL!

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 12:41 AM

Whenever it's happened to me, I just look up really hard, look down, look up really hard again, etc. The contact usually slides down within about 30 seconds or so.

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 08:47 AM

Gank,

Yeah, that usually fixes it for me, too. This one's just being especially obstinate.

Well, I eventually had to go to bed last night with it still in there. This morning, I looked all over, hoping it had worked its way out. I couldn't find it, so I have to assume it's still in there, but it's not bugging me anywhere near as much as it was, so I guess it either settled into a somewhat comfortable position, or my brain just finally put the irritation on its Ignore list.

Here's hoping the optometrist is a good one (first time I've been to the optometrist since moving to the area) and can find it and get it out!

ryju
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 09:07 AM

I was actually thinking about switching to contacts (I just need glasses for driving) but after reading this story I'm definitely not sure.

Good luck to you!

My glasses are stylish/bold

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2004, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:
Whenever it's happened to me, I just look up really hard, look down, look up really hard again, etc. The contact usually slides down within about 30 seconds or so.
Back when I wore contacts, this is what I would do too, though when I'd look up I'd actually try to "look" through the lens and then look down really hard.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by ryju:
I was actually thinking about switching to contacts (I just need glasses for driving) but after reading this story I'm definitely not sure.

Good luck to you!

This is absolutely unusual. Never happened before, and if, in the future, I make sure to get my new contacts on-time, it should never happen again. Don't let this stop ya. I still prefer contacts to glasses, without a doubt.

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2004, 09:45 AM

Get someone else to help you to get the contacts out. If you can't do it yourself, have somebody else help out.

storer
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 10:06 AM

its not that bad, i no this dork who got his tongue stuck on his braces. he had to leave school and have the dentist cut his tongue from them. he is prone to stupid things

cheerios
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 11:03 AM

This is "one of those things" that contacts can do. It's really not that big a deal... if you avoid rubbing your eyes it doesn't happen. It's a weird thing to be concious off, but it keeps ya out of loads of trouble.

york28
Senior User
Aug 6, 2004, 01:33 PM

Just the thought of something being stuck on top of my eye makes me feeel suqeamish. I used to have contacts a few years ago, and luckily this never happened to me. Good luck getting that thing out.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by ryju:

Good luck to you!

Don't let this stop you.

First... he was wearing the lenses for longer than a month (they're only designed to last for a month), and probably hadn't taken them out since putting them in at the beginning of the month (they're only designed to be worn continuously for a month). Using them for longer than intended and excessively rubbing his eyes has caused problems.

When worn according to the optometrist's (and manufacturers) recommendations, they shouldn't give you problems.

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
Don't let this stop you.

First... he was wearing the lenses for longer than a month (they're only designed to last for a month), and probably hadn't taken them out since putting them in at the beginning of the month (they're only designed to be worn continuously for a month). Using them for longer than intended and excessively rubbing his eyes has caused problems.

When worn according to the optometrist's (and manufacturers) recommendations, they shouldn't give you problems.
Let's not make too many assumptions about my behavior, Mr. Person Man.

I take my contacts out once a week when they're within the 1-month lifetime, and on the rare occasion that I do have them longer than a month (this is only the second time I've ever worn this brand past its lifetime), I take 'em out every couple of days.

My eye was just especially irritated that day, for whatever reason.

Anyway, as an update (for all of you who were waiting with bated breath for the final outcome of this saga): I went to my previously scheduled optometrist appointment today, and had her look for the contact. She said she couldn't find it in there, and since I couldn't really feel it anymore either, she figured it had probably worked its way out of my eye overnight and I just couldn't find it when I looked around my sheets this morning.

She gave my eyes a clean bill of health and said that the Focus Night & Day lenses actually tend to lead to some of the healthiest eyes among contact-wearers because they allow the eye to breath so well.

I also got a free set of N&D lenses to wear while waiting for my next 6-month supply to arrive, so I'm no longer seeing through 6-week old contacts. The eye in question is still just a little irritated from its ordeal, but it's resigned itself mostly to uttering impotent profanities under its admittedly weak breath, so I'm confident all will be right with the world by tomorrow.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2004, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Oneota:
she figured it had probably worked its way out of my eye overnight and I just couldn't find it when I looked around my sheets this morning.
probably....PROBABLY!!! i bet it is lodged in your brain.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
probably....PROBABLY!!! i bet it is lodged in your brain.

Sure would explain a lot�

I sure would like to actually see the old lens. I won't feel quite right until I know that it's out of there. I'm fairly certain it is, though. I'm sure I'd have noticed it by now.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by Oneota:
Let's not make too many assumptions about my behavior, Mr. Person Man.

I take my contacts out once a week when they're within the 1-month lifetime, and on the rare occasion that I do have them longer than a month (this is only the second time I've ever worn this brand past its lifetime), I take 'em out every couple of days.

My eye was just especially irritated that day, for whatever reason.
My apologies. I've seen far too many people wear those things for 45 days straight, and then they proclaim them to be "crap"

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
My apologies. I've seen far too many people wear those things for 45 days straight, and then they proclaim them to be "crap"
No worries; just don't be too quick to judge next time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules