Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Your thoughts on Enterprise Season 4 (thus far; slight spoiler)

Your thoughts on Enterprise Season 4 (thus far; slight spoiler)
Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 08:20 PM

Just finished watching Episode 402 (thanks to BitTorrent and no thanks to Iowa's lack of a UPN station). I gotta say: I was worried when I saw the red-eyed guy at the end of season 3, but I think they wrapped up the whole thing very nicely. I'm wondering if the way they finished this means that the attack on Earth never happened?

From what I hear, this season is going to consist of 2- and 3-episode story arcs, instead of the season-long arc that was the Xindi story. Should prove interesting.

Has season 3 and the first 2 shows of season 4 changed anyone else's mind about the show?
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Voch
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 08:31 PM

From what I've read (possible spoilers, but it's really more general up-coming plot hints) these episodes are Manny Coto's attempt to wrap up the temperal cold war goop and move the plot back to the founding of the Federation, the Vulcans, etc. I'm looking forward to this season getting back to the potential "so that's how it happened" stories.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 08:34 PM

The end of season 3 and the first two episodes of 4 were bad. Many stupid little things were wrong but the entire plot was implausible even by their standards. I don't blame them, the had to wrap it up somehow, and I'm hoping the coming episodes will be better.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2004, 09:11 PM

The second half of season 3 changed my mind about the show. The first two episodes of season 4...

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, though, now that the WWII stuff is done with, and see how the prequel stuff turns out for the rest of the season.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2004, 12:00 AM

I'll admit that the plot was a bit of a stretch. But heck...it's Sci Fi (sorta). Maybe I'm just willing to extend my suspension of disbelief a little further than most in the interest of enjoying the story being told. I dunno.

That last shot was very Voyager-final�-esque, though, which I found a little disappointing. I was hoping for more of a coming-home celebration than that.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by Oneota:
I'll admit that the plot was a bit of a stretch. But heck...it's Sci Fi (sorta). Maybe I'm just willing to extend my suspension of disbelief a little further than most in the interest of enjoying the story being told. I dunno.

That last shot was very Voyager-final�-esque, though, which I found a little disappointing. I was hoping for more of a coming-home celebration than that.
Yeah. I can't accept that the entire timeline magically reset.

The celebration will be in the next episode. It is probably going to be a slow one though. Episode 4 will be telling as to the rest of the season.

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2004, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
Yeah. I can't accept that the entire timeline magically reset.
As told, I'm having a little trouble with that, too. It would've been better (IMO) if they'd shown the explosion going through that vortex-thingy, thereby affecting the future point from which the whole temporal cold war was being fought. That would've led a little credibility to the whole thing.

But as I said earlier: in the interest of enjoying the story being told, I'm willing to grant quite a bit of dramatic license. I like to think of TV as the story being told around the campfire...only with pictures! And no campfire.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 12:23 AM

As told, I'm having a little trouble with that, too. It would've been better (IMO) if they'd shown the explosion going through that vortex-thingy, thereby affecting the future point from which the whole temporal cold war was being fought. That would've led a little credibility to the whole thing.

But as I said earlier: in the interest of enjoying the story being told, I'm willing to grant quite a bit of dramatic license. I like to think of TV as the story being told around the campfire...only with pictures! And no campfire.
Thats no excuse for poor writing. They said this was all caused by lenin being killed. So even if vosk died WHY would what he had done in a past trip? Even if he had been destroyed in transit it would make no sense that everything he'd done would be undone.

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2004, 12:31 AM

Thats no excuse for poor writing. They said this was all caused by lenin being killed. So even if vosk died WHY would what he had done in a past trip? Even if he had been destroyed in transit it would make no sense that everything he'd done would be undone.
Unless the equipment on the other side permitting time travel were destroyed, which could lead to all sorts of fun paradoxes (paradoxii?). But I agree...sloppy writing in the interest of wrapping up the storyline.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2004, 05:32 AM

Maybe the whole temporal cold war started as a result of something Vosk did after he returned to the future from WWII, so destroying the portal prevented any of the war from taking place, including Vosk (and Enterprise) being there in the first place, and... oh, who am I kidding.

At least it's over with.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2004, 06:08 AM

Considering that the show has had as many episodes as the original Trek, it's a disappointment. Rather than setting history, the Enterprise crew seems more advanced in many ways as the TNG crew. And all the time jumping has made it Quantum Leap II.

I'm just waiting for CSI: Starfleet Academy.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 03:31 PM

Here's my only complaint, who was shadow guy that played such a big roll in Season One? I was thinking at first it could be Vosk, but after Silik revealed that he would do anything to stop Vosk, he most likely wouldn't be working for him. Anyone?

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2004, 04:18 PM

I am a huge star trek fan, seen ever show of every series. DS9 was the best followed by TNG.

My thoughts on enterprise....
The premier was good, showed lots of potential, not as good as a premiere as others series though.
Shortly after the first couple episodes it started to go downhill. I still watched all of first season as I expect some bad episodes in the first season. The season Finale was bad because it is the usual time confusing travel and everything resets nicely in the end.

Second season was 100% horrible. The premiere was bad and uninteresting the rest of the season was not only bad bad star trek, but bad TV in general. They would be self contained stories that were all wrapped up in the last 5 minutes with a rescue mission. For the first time in years I skipped some episodes and didn't care.

Third season:
Incredible. Some of the best Star Trek ever. Excellent writing, a-typical star trek story lines and gutsy. I can't think of 1 episode I didn't highly enjoy. This was star trek at its best. The finale was awesome watching the Probe blow up and then seeing Nazi aliens on earth. I spent the summer pondering how the destruction of the probe or supposed death of archer to cause all this.

Season 4:
Episode 1
Started off interesting, nothing that hasn't been done before. The Alien Nazi has a cool voice. Not all that exciting overall.

Episode 2
Total disaster. MINOR SPOILERS.
The biggest problem i have with the whole story is that it has NOTHING to do with the Xindi. They are not even mentioned. The end of season 3 has nothing to do with the Nazi's, Archers death or anything else. That ugly Daniels is just having enterprise run around doing his work for him. Again.
Also, the way they wanted to wrap up the Temporal war cuz they feel like it isn't working (like Voyagers Kayzon) didn't answer any questions that they had set up over the past 3 years. It makes you damn angry that they never show who future guy is and they kill off one of the major guest characters. Sure they might in the future but it might be just in passing.

Episode 3.
I have hope it will be better. At least they will talk about the Xindi and show the consequences of some of archers choices.

The ratings have gone down another 1/3 from last years very low ratings. I feel that this is the last year for Enterprise for sure.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2004, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
I'm just waiting for CSI: Starfleet Academy.
I lawled!!!!!!! CBS won't stop until there's a CSI on every night of the week....

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2004, 07:37 AM

Those Vulcans are too emotional. What happened to stoney faced "Spock" Vulcans?

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2004, 01:29 PM

i still think that william shatner should make a return, this show is getting wayyy too weird.

I think that they're (the writers) just wasting time. They should go home and find the planet taken over, then they'd have something to work on, but it's just the same stuff over and over again.

SuperNova

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2004, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by OB1:
Those Vulcans are too emotional. What happened to stoney faced "Spock" Vulcans?
Didn't you catch the very end of the last episode? That was no Vulcan, there! The rest of the high command was acting in a fairly Vulcan manner, IMO.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 01:59 PM

This show shouldn't even be on the air, all these episodes are horrible the good plots are back in next gen, and my favorite was voyager.... I really could not get into this series and i was hoping that it would be cancelled

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 02:06 PM

I too feel like the writers are sort of treading water. I stopped watching after the second episode of the first season (when I was so antsy for it to just end) and only just picked it up for the season 3 finale. I've watched every episode of season 4 thus far. They're not bad episodes, but they don't make my brain do any work, and they don't give it much of a reward. That's what I got out of TNG, and that's what I miss.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 02:53 PM

The last 3 eps were very good. It was interesting to see a corrupt Vulcan, and the ending meeting brought back memories of a certain TNG episode. It's taken time for Enterprise (notice it's Star Trek Enterprise now) to hit its stride, but look back at the first two seasons of TNG. There were some real stinkers in there.

In the end, the show is entertaining, and that's why I watch it.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2004, 03:14 PM

Just finished watching Episode 402 (thanks to BitTorrent and no thanks to Iowa's lack of a UPN station). I gotta say: I was worried when I saw the red-eyed guy at the end of season 3, but I think they wrapped up the whole thing very nicely. I'm wondering if the way they finished this means that the attack on Earth never happened?
Nope, the attack still happened.

It also means the first 3 seasons with all the fuss about Futureguy, the whole point of the pilot and the back and forting with the Suluban and that ugly dude who kept jumping people back in forth through time to do his dirty-work.... is all done with. It is a good thing because I hated that story and it was carrying on longer than the damn Kazon from Voyager. The thing that is disappointing is that they wrapped up a 3 year story with no answer as to who futureguy was, how the suluban could travel through time, how silk got on the Enterprise and no mention of the Xindi, etc.

I am glad the silly story was over but they could have done a better job wrapping it up.

As for the rest of the season.... awesome. The Brent Spiner Episodes were great, the current Vulcan one was also incredible.

If it keeps up like this I will be very happy but I have a fear it might be its last season.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2004, 03:27 PM

I started out hating Enterprise but for some strange reason I carried on watching. The latest series has improved a lot. The ending of the Brent Spiner episodes was very clever. I like the fact that the stories are spread across a few episodes too.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2004, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
I started out hating Enterprise but for some strange reason I carried on watching. The latest series has improved a lot. The ending of the Brent Spiner episodes was very clever. I like the fact that the stories are spread across a few episodes too.
The first 2 seasons is some of the worst Star Trek and even Sci-Fi TV ever made. The 3rd and 4th season is some of the best Star Trek ever.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
The first 2 seasons is some of the worst Star Trek and even Sci-Fi TV ever made. The 3rd and 4th season is some of the best Star Trek ever.
Agreed more or less. Not sure it's some of the best ST ever but it's a big improvement. But the one thing that really annoys me every week is their bloody credits music! CHANGE THE WHOLE DAMN SEQUENCE! It's so awful. I'm sure they lose half their audience because of it.

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2004, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Nope, the attack still happened.
Yeah, figured that out when 403 came out - this thread was started right after 402.

It also means the first 3 seasons with all the fuss about Futureguy, the whole point of the pilot and the back and forting with the Suluban and that ugly dude who kept jumping people back in forth through time to do his dirty-work.... is all done with. It is a good thing because I hated that story and it was carrying on longer than the damn Kazon from Voyager. The thing that is disappointing is that they wrapped up a 3 year story with no answer as to who futureguy was, how the suluban could travel through time, how silk got on the Enterprise and no mention of the Xindi, etc.
Actually, I seem to recall reading somewhere that there's still a little bit of the Temporal Cold War story left - it's mostly wrapped up, I think, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got one last 2- or 3-episode arc out of it.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 09:53 PM

I am liking the new mini-arc stories. They make the show much more enjoyable. All the "single, self-contained episodes" they tried in the past destroyed what the show was about, and were generally predictable and rushed. The arc conclusions I have seen have been predictable, but not rushed. It's an improvement.
Genius. You know who.

bookofjames
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2004, 10:14 PM

Enterprise now is on episode 9.
Check it out at all major bittorrent sites.

I watch all my series thru bittorrent cos here in Singapore we always get them very late (e.g. now only showing season 2 of enterprise). Now I am following Enterprise, Stargate Atlantis, Smallville, and Battlestar Galactica.

Back to the topic - I think the story line for Enterprise is becoming more interesting. Episode 7, 8, and 9 are a trilogy which leads you into the struggle between humans, vulcans, andarians and even a romulan (i think).
book-of-james.com

12" Rev B PwBk (Oct2003)
1GHz | 60GB HDD (4200rpm) | 1.25 GB RAM

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2004, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by bookofjames:
Enterprise now is on episode 9.
Check it out at all major bittorrent sites.

I watch all my series thru bittorrent cos here in Singapore we always get them very late (e.g. now only showing season 2 of enterprise). Now I am following Enterprise, Stargate Atlantis, Smallville, and Battlestar Galactica.

Back to the topic - I think the story line for Enterprise is becoming more interesting. Episode 7, 8, and 9 are a trilogy which leads you into the struggle between humans, vulcans, andarians and even a romulan (i think).
Thanks, but again - check the date on when this thread was started. I started it right after episode 402 came out (and I even mentioned that I got it from BT).

Forum Links
Forum Rules