Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can't rip DVDs w/June 2009 15" MacBook Pro?

Can't rip DVDs w/June 2009 15" MacBook Pro?
Oneota
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2009, 11:27 AM

I'm trying to rip DVDs I own to .mp4 files for my iPod so I can take them with me on the plane when I fly to Italy, and I haven't had any luck at all. It seems like every time my MacBook Pro tries to access the data files on a video DVD, it has read errors, or other problems. FairMount silently fails on every disc, and MTR just says there were problems. Apple's DVD Player application, though, plays the discs with no problems whatsoever.

Could Apple have done something to the firmware on these MacBook Pros to make them incapable of ripping DVD videos to .mp4 files?
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2009, 07:59 PM

In a word: No.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2009, 08:17 PM

Are you using Handbrake?
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2009, 08:23 PM

Okay, finally got one to rip. Just did it straight from the DVD, instead of trying to go to the HD first. I was trying to get a bunch of them off the DVDs onto the HD and rip them from there using Handbrake, so that I could do the encoding later without needing the physical media.

For some reason, neither MacTheRipper nor Fairmount seem to like my laptop very much -- I haven't gotten either to work reliably since I upgraded to this machine.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2009, 09:04 PM

MacTheRipper hasn't been updated in over 4 years, that may have something to do with why it wasn't working properly.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules