Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple updates iOS to 8.2; brings Apple Watch support, fixes

Apple updates iOS to 8.2; brings Apple Watch support, fixes
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 9, 2015, 03:15 PM

Apple has made available iOS 8.2 for iOS. The update, available either through iTunes or "over the air," runs on the iPhone 4S and newer, the iPad 2 and newer, and the fifth-generation iPod Touch. By far, the most notable added feature is support for the Apple Watch, and the addition of the Apple Watch app store. Other fixes in the update are large changes to the HealthKit codebase, stability fixes in Mail and Maps, many fixes to the calendar functionality, and fixes to music synchronization with iTunes and Cloud sync.

Apple promised fixes this week on iOS to prevent a FREAK attack on the HTTPS protocol, but that has not been specifically spelled out by the company. MacNN will test this as soon as the update is installed.

The patch on an iPhone 5 is a 914MB download, and requires 1.8GB of free space to install "over the air." Less space, 1.2GB, is required if the update is performed through iTunes.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Mar 9, 2015 at 04:53 PM. )

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2015, 04:45 PM

For this upgrade, you might be better off waiting until late tonight. The last upgrade took me about four tries before the entire file downloaded. Apple's servers were that overloaded. This time, iTunes is giving me the message "The iPad software update server could not be contacted." The popularity of iOS has its downside.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Grendelmon
Senior User
Mar 10, 2015, 07:15 AM

You know... I'm getting tired of Apple forcibly selecting what version of iOS their customers can retreieve as an update. I just bought a 5th gen Touch last week. It shipped with 8.1.2 and straight off the bat I noticed the battery life is worse than the 4 year old 4th gen it was replacing. I was going to wipe it and install 8.1.3. Grabbed my coffee this morning before the kids got up and then sit down in front of iTunes... sure as shit- 8.2 is out. So now I have to be an iOS guinea pig to solve my battery problem.

WTH can't I select 8.1.3 as my update, Apple? I'm getting tired of playing this f$&%ing game.
( Last edited by Grendelmon; Mar 10, 2015 at 07:35 AM. )

sibeale1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2015, 07:59 AM

After you finish your coffee, stop to consider that your battery problems might be related to iOS 8.2. A few other folks have installed iOS 8.2 by now, and I haven't noticed a wave of complaints about battery life.

revco
Mar 10, 2015, 08:30 AM

Nice. Another non-deletable app installed. Thanks.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Mar 10, 2015, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by sibeale1 View Post
After you finish your coffee, stop to consider that your battery problems might be related to iOS 8.2. A few other folks have installed iOS 8.2 by now, and I haven't noticed a wave of complaints about battery life.
Eh, wha? What we've got here is failure to communicate. Anyway:
  • I have an iPad 2 running 8.1.3 (upgraded from 7.1.2) that runs just fine without any battery issues (with app refresh disabled)
  • I have tweaked, re-tweaked, and re-re-tweaked all notifications, location services, and disabled background refresh on my iPod to no avail
  • There are rampant reports of battery life issues on 8.1.2 in Apple's support forums, on multiple devices
  • Some reports claim that 8.1.3 has helped with battery drain in Apple support forums, which is why I was trying to update to it

Now, I understand the Touch obviously doesn't have the battery capacity of the iPad- but the entire reason I replaced my 4th gen was because the battery won't hold a charge for very long. My brand new iPod was worse than my old one. But, the good news is that it already appears that iOS 8.2 has helped with the battery drain on my Touch. I've only been running it for about 4 1/2 hours, but previously on a full charge it would already be down to 75% by now. It's currently around 98%. Same average utilization (wifi, email, surfing, etc). I haven't changed any settings since 8.1.2. I'll let it run through the rest of day and see how it performs.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Mar 11, 2015, 10:52 AM

I'm a happy camper now. 8.2 (or possibly the cumulative fixes in 8.1.3) resolved my battery issue. I can go the whole day now and still have roughly 60% of my battery left now.

I just hope 8.2 doesn't break something else! :-)

Grendelmon
Senior User
Mar 11, 2015, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by revco View Post
Nice. Another non-deletable app installed. Thanks.
Fortunately, the iPods didn't get the Watch app.

Forum Links
Forum Rules